Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 8:10:21 PM EDT
Just wondering if I'm the only one that had the thought. I think he is an amazing fighter, and I didn't doubt he would win.
I'm not saying with certainty, but it seems to me that Irvin is tough and experienced enough to have taken that punch that floored him and kept fighting from his back as opposed to curling up. It was definitely a solid hit, but Silva was slightly off-balance when he threw it due to holding Irvin's leg at the time. It just didn't look like enough to KO a fighter of Irvin's caliber all by itself.

Any thoughts? Flames?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]

While anything is possible in the fight world I really don't think so.  IMHO, Anderson Silva is legit badass...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I highly doubt it was thrown. I'd like to see Anderson fight some other people at 205 though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
While anything is possible in the fight world I really don't think so.  IMHO, Anderson Silva is legit badass...

Right, I agree with you there; just seemed like Irvin went down a little too easy. Doesn't really matter, even if he did just throw it right there, he would have been really unconscious in another 10 seconds.

I REALLY wanna see Silva fight Rampage.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
DUDE, didn't you see that horrific cut under his eye after the fight? Looked like he got a brand new mouth installed just a little higher, and to the left.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The final punch was when irvin was on the ground.  You can see him go "sleepy time" when silva hits him one the ground.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It was a good KO. AS is in another class than Irvin.

I'd like to see AS try these 205 guys...

Vanderlai Silva
Quinton Jackson
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, Vanderlei and Rampage are 2 that I wanna see him fight.

I'd also like to see him fight that Lesner guy, though I think he's one more weight class up isn't he? I'd just like to see that huge guy get knocked out by Silva.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#8]
He just got that punching style that makes it look easy along with accuracy. Reminds me Prince Naseem Hamed from boxing. Sometimes it looks like Naseem just touches people and they fall down lol.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfUFYtXNN0A
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#9]
He made the mistake of doing a kick and leaving his face open. One little opening and someone like Silva will knock you the fuck out.

That hit was HARD. No doubt that it wasn't thrown. People wake up forgetting math from shots like that.

The kick that Fedor (sp) took was brutal as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just wondering if I'm the only one that had the thought. I think he is an amazing fighter, and I didn't doubt he would win.
I'm not saying with certainty, but it seems to me that Irvin is tough and experienced enough to have taken that punch that floored him and kept fighting from his back as opposed to curling up. It was definitely a solid hit, but Silva was slightly off-balance when he threw it due to holding Irvin's leg at the time. It just didn't look like enough to KO a fighter of Irvin's caliber all by itself.

Any thoughts? Flames?

That was my thought as well. When he fell to the ground he just covered up and didn't try to fight. The punch was flush to the chin, but not a knock out punch. I do some kickboxing and I don't think that would have put someone down like he went down. My thought was he was taking a dive to make silva look good at that weight. But who knows, the guy can fight no matter what.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Vanderlai Silva
Quinton Jackson

I honestly dont think either would far much better.  Anderson looked solid at 205. He's top of the food chain in either 185 or 205.  Look what he did to Dan Henderson.Dans the only guy to have the belt in 185 and 205 in pride. He destroyed him.  It took rampage alot longer to whip Dans ass than it did Silva.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any thoughts? Flames?

That was my thought as well. When he fell to the ground he just covered up and didn't try to fight. The punch was flush to the chin, but not a knock out punch. I do some kickboxing and I don't think that would have put someone down like he went down. My thought was he was taking a dive to make silva look good at that weight. But who knows, the guy can fight no matter what.

I think that's what really got to me about it; it looked to me like he intelligently went to the mat and put up a ground defense position and waited for Silva; as opposed to when most people are knocked out they either go limp or stiff-arm straight. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was bothering me about it until you said that.
But once again, a KO is the inevitable conclusion to a Silva fight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vanderlai Silva
Quinton Jackson

I honestly dont think either would far much better.  Anderson looked solid at 205. He's top of the food chain in either 185 or 205.  Look what he did to Dan Henderson.Dans the only guy to have the belt in 185 and 205 in pride. He destroyed him.  It took rampage alot longer to whip Dans ass than it did Silva.  

I agree; I just think it would be interesting to see Vanderlei and Rampage dominated in a fight, since they're such dominating fighters usually.
I think it's gonna be quite a while til someone take Anderson down a notch.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
The way he was knocked out, face split open bleeding like a stuck pig, yeah it was fake.

UFC fighters don't have promoters, they don't make a million dollars win or lose title fights like boxers.

The amount of dedication to training and fighting, no MMA fighter would disrespect themselves, by throwing a fight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The way he was knocked out, face split open bleeding like a stuck pig, yeah it was fake.

UFC fighters don't have promoters, they don't make a million dollars win or lose title fights like boxers.

The amount of dedication to training and fighting, no MMA fighter would disrespect themselves, by throwing a fight.

Severn was known to do a few fixed fights on the small shows back in the late 90's.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Severn was known to do a few fixed fights on the small shows back in the late 90's.

Dan Severn?? Banned from Japan I forgot about that jerkoff.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Anderson Silva's only weakness is the flying heel hook.  Master that any you can defeat him.  

youtube.com/watch?v=267i7rKeECA

Kidding.  It was an amazing, but lucky, submission from a guy that was getting pounded.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh, this thread is teh ghey.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I think that UFC will eventually end up like boxing. Fights will be thrown and lots of money will be made. Eventuality it to will get ran into the ground.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I think that UFC will eventually end up like boxing. Fights will be thrown and lots of money will be made. Eventuality it to will get ran into the ground.

If Dana White keeps running the UFC he will do his best to keep that crap out. If you've read any interviews of him he says he doesn't want it to become like boxing. He made his start as a boxing promoter.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
He just got that punching style that makes it look easy along with accuracy. Reminds me Prince Naseem Hamed from boxing. Sometimes it looks like Naseem just touches people and they fall down lol.

I think these are better Prince Naseem vids

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9JETH2YNfU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwEsvUdTotw&feature=related
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think these are better Prince Naseem vids

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9JETH2YNfU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwEsvUdTotw&feature=related

I never said he was a well rounded fighter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top