Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 1:29:18 PM EDT
Going on vacation soon and looking to do some tourist type things in NYC (as well as hit a Yankee game).

I have checked just about everywhere in the area between battery park and central park, it looks like even the Red Roof Inn is over 200 per night.

Is that what I am going to be paying, or is there a place I can stay that is a little further from the attractions but not in the middle of some sort of combat/getto zone?

Any advice would be appreciated, just trying to find a safe convenient location that won't destroy the vacation budget.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Going on vacation soon and looking to do some tourist type things in NYC (as well as hit a Yankee game).

I have checked just about everywhere in the area between battery park and central park, it looks like even the Red Roof Inn is over 200 per night.

Is that what I am going to be paying, or is there a place I can stay that is a little further from the attractions but not in the middle of some sort of combat/getto zone?

Any advice would be appreciated, just trying to find a safe convenient location that won't destroy the vacation budget.

Are you going alone?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
No reason you can't stay in Jersey or something else just across the river...might be cheaper, plenty of mass transit options to get you into the city, etc.

Staying around Hoboken or Jersey City (the water front part of JC, that is) might be less expensive, and there's ferries, trains, etc straight into Manhattan from there.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are you going alone?

Me and Mrs, so there will be no suggestions to camp out in central park or something!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Jersey city Hyatt is where I stayed last time. It's nice & a quick shot over the bridge into the city.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Holiday Inn Express
QUEENS/MIDTOWN TUNNEL

3805 HUNTERS POINT AVENUE
LONG ISLAND CITY, NY 11101 UNITED STATES
Hotel Front Desk: 1-718-7066700 | Hotel Fax: 1-718-7848532
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you going alone?

Me and Mrs, so there will be no suggestions to camp out in central park or something!

Well, I had the next best thing

www.couchsurfing.com/

My last trip to Canada, I went this route, and actually it was kind of cool to stay with a friendly local who was interested in meeting you and getting to know you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]
We stayed in NJ (Secaucus) this last time out (few weeks ago). There are a lot of nice hotels in nice areas just across the river. Saves you a good amount of money, but the commuting into the city is somewhat of a pain. Taxi's into the city were around $25, so we ended up busing in, and hopping on the subway to get where we needed to go. It worked out well overall, but you do have to factor in the commuting into the city.

Few years ago i stayed in the city, it was nice and convenient, but as i recall we paid $300 a night or so.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
You also might wanna check newyork.craigslist.org/vac/
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#9]
It would be cheaper if you stayed in the Hoboken/Weehawken/Jersey City Waterfront Hotels.  From there it's just a short ferry or subway ride into the city.  You can also take the ferry (or subway) to Yankee Stadium.  Check out www.nywaterway.com for ferry service info.  As someone said earlier, it's even cheaper to stay in Secaucus, NJ than one of the waterfront hotels.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#10]
go on priceline
its offseason , ive scored 3 and for star for 150
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Another +1 for Weehawken or Hoboken.   Hotels are quite a bit cheaper, plus you'll get a much larger room and probably a better night's sleep with less noise from the city.

The ferries run regularly and are kind of neat for the first couple of trips.  You get some nice views of the Manhattan skyline on the ride over.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Comfort Inn near 35th Street (around the corner from Macy's) Its been awhile but it was pretty cheap IIRC
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Comfort Inn near 35th Street (around the corner from Macy's) Its been awhile but it was pretty cheap IIRC

$319 per night for when I am going.

I have been using priceline (with the help of biddingfortravel) and still feeling violated.

ETA $287 with AAA discount!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$319 per night for when I am going.

I have been using priceline (with the help of biddingfortravel) and still feeling violated.

ETA $287 with AAA discount!!

holy crap..I paid less than half of that 4 years ago!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Get your yankee ticket soon because I believe August is the last month with some decent home games as september, they will be on the road a lot.

Also, last season in yankee stadium - The House that Ruth Built as next year, new stadium.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Yankee tickets are taken care of, I got some pretty good seats off of stub hub.  That is really the primary excuse for the trip, to see the stadium before it is gone.

As a side note, I just made my most recent run at priceline, my last bid was $190 for all the 3* in the area (except Brooklyn).  It failed!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top