Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 12:27:07 PM EDT
My room mate moved out a month ago. Now my sony digital video camera is missing. He owes alot of people alot of money and is not trustworthy which is part of the reason why he was asked to leave. I owe him $340. No one else has been here in the past month.

Is there anything I can do? He moved far away. So I cant confront him.  Do I keep $300 which is what the camera was worth, paid $700 new and send him $40?  I do not legally owe him the money its all hearsay. Or am I screwed and I should just send him the money. Is there anything he can do if I dont?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My room mate moved out a month ago. Now my sony digital video camera is missing. He owes alot of people alot of money and is not trustworthy which is part of the reason why he was asked to leave. I owe him $340. No one else has been here in the past month.

Is there anything I can do? He moved far away. So I cant confront him.  Do I keep $300 which is what the camera was worth, paid $700 new and send him $40?  I do not legally owe him the money its all hearsay. Or am I screwed and I should just send him the money. Is there anything he can do if I dont?
sounds like a case for judge Judy
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Try calling and asking him?  If you are positive he took it, I wouldn't send him a dime of the $$ you owe him.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
send him nothing
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

POst the pron on the interwebs
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try calling and asking him?  If you are positive he took it, I wouldn't send him a dime of the $$ you owe him.

He wouldn't admit to it. Theres no where else the camera could be. If he admited then he wouldn't receive any money and I know he already told me he doesnt have any money so I need to send him the cash I owe.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thieving roommates suck.

Tell him you noticed your camera missing at the same time he moved out.  You need the $340 to change locks and hire a detective to look for the camera.  He can have the $340 if he can "locate" the camera before you have to do the locks/detective. (my bet is he gives up on the money since he is likely to know he is guilty of theft and you are on to him).

(Do the locks anyway or your camera will dissapear after he returns it for the $340.)

If he shows up with the camera, it's your choice to give him the $340 or beat his @ss a little for stealing from you.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thieving roommates suck.

Tell him you noticed your camera missing at the same time he moved out.  You need the $340 to change locks and hire a detective to look for the camera.  He can have the $340 if he can "locate" the camera before you have to do the locks/detective. (my bet is he gives up on the money since he is likely to know he is guilty of theft and you are on to him).

(Do the locks anyway or your camera will dissapear after he returns it for the $340.)

If he shows up with the camera, it's your choice to give him the $340 or beat his @ss a little for stealing from you.  

Locks were already change and we went through what is owed, unless I call him and say "Ya know I was writing you a check and i noticed ...."
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't pay him a dime until your camera shows up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#9]
man up, don't pay him until the camera shows up.

it won't - he already sold it at a pawn shop.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Shit in his air filter.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh, you can do a lot, and if someone I trusted stole from me, the fucker would be begging to buy my a better video camera by the time I was done, it just depends on how far you wanna go.....
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Meet him at a place with no witnesses present then proceed to beat him like a rented mule to the point that everytime he sees you for eternity he avoids eye contact and scurries away in fear like the bitch he really is!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you sure he took it?
Have you had any other traffic through the place?

Accussing someone of theft is pretty harsh, unless theres proof.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
You can't prove he took the camera.
If you are CERTAIN he took it, I would keep the money, so long as there is no binding contract involved.
Tell him you would be happy to refund the $300 "security deposit" if the camera "resurfaces".
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

This is going to turn out to be one of those little life lessons.

I wouldn't send a dime.  My guess is, he never asks for it.  If he does, I'd tell him point-blank, "Sure... as soon as my camera is returned".

Pick better roommates.  Use e-renter.com to do background checks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#16]
1.  file a criminal complaint.
2.  sue him in small claims court.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Don't pay him a dime until your camera shows up.

1, He took it.

2. Someone he let into the house took it.

Sounds like he has a drug habit, and your camera went up his nose/into his arm/into his pipe. You don't owe him snot.

There's an old saying: "If you loan someone $20, and you never see him again, it was money well-spent."  A $700 camera is a little over the top, but you are well-rid of this guy.

You say he moved far away... do you have any contact with him? any other mutual friends, aquaintences, or family? If not... shit on him.

And post pics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top