Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 7:50:59 AM EDT
I decided to get up early and go to the plasma center.  It was my first time.  This place is dead in the middle of the ghetto in St. Louis.  Since I was new, it took a while to get me screened, etc.  I was there three and a half hours(I was only in the chair 55 minutes though) and I think I saw six white people, counting myself.  I never saw so many gold teeth in my entire life.  I also got a good lesson on what Psalm 109 was all about.  Overall, it was cool.  Getting the room temp saline at the end felt pretty weird though.  I had a massive case of the shivers until I walked out into 90* of wet heat.  I got $30 I didn't have when I woke up and I got to hear some interesting stories from some very interesting characters.  I'll go back.  

Oh yeah, I saw some humanoid(couldn't tell man or woman) with deadlocks walk in covered with Obama buttons.  I thought about pretending I was an Obama voter and seeing which of his policies it found most favorable, but I decided not to considering the demographics of the place.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#1]
$30 isn't worth is.  Those places are nasty.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#2]
you got ripped off
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Now you can buy a $24 membership and still have $6 for lunch
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]
How much time did it take you to drive there? How much fuel did you burn? $30 for 3.5 hours, plus driving time, minus gas money. Doesn't sound like a great plan to me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope you bladed a 45 and screamed disengage when you opened the door?  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#6]
damn college kids
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#7]
how long will your next visit take?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How much time did it take you to drive there? How much fuel did you burn? $30 for 3.5 hours, plus driving time, minus gas money. Doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

The plasma center is somewhat close to the light rail system we have.  Plus I get to ride for free with my student ID.  I live 3 miles from the closest station.  It's about a 50 minute ride there, plus a half hour walk, or less if I can catch a bus.  So basically, it's free to get there, minus 6 miles in a 35 MPG car, or I can just ride my bike there.  And the time doesn't mean shit to me because if I didn't do that, I would have just sat around the house, so it's not like I lost anything there, and the walk is good exercise.  If I didn't have to go thru the new donor shit, I could be done in a hour and a half or less.  Actually collecting the plasma took 55 minutes.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Does recycling a plasma TV count?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The plasma center is somewhat close to the light rail system we have.  Plus I get to ride for free with my student ID.  I live 3 miles from the closest station.  It's about a 50 minute ride there, plus a half hour walk, or less if I can catch a bus.  So basically, it's free to get there, minus 6 miles in a 35 MPG car, or I can just ride my bike there.  And the time doesn't mean shit to me because if I didn't do that, I would have just sat around the house, so it's not like I lost anything there, and the walk is good exercise.  If I didn't have to go thru the new donor shit, I could be done in a hour and a half or less.  Actually collecting the plasma took 55 minutes.  

Freshmen year there were many many people who did that at least 2 a week, or whatever the maximum is.  I never could get into it. Just not enough money in it for me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Do they give you your red blood cells back? If so, that's nasty. Your blood running through the same machine that's had hundreds of other people's blood?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I refuse to give plasma or double red cell aphoresis because they infuse you.  Having watched the handwashing and general lack of aseptic technique as several blood centers, I do not trust them.  

You may take my blood but I don't want anything back.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Some people donate to save a life - not just for the cash...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I refuse to give plasma or double red cell aphoresis because they infuse you.  Having watched the handwashing and general lack of aseptic technique as several blood centers, I do not trust them.  

That is my feeling too.  They might put clean needles on the equipment but how do you know the inside of the machine was completely cleaned between each person.  The risk isn't worth $30.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is my feeling too.  They might put clean needles on the equipment but how do you know the inside of the machine was completely cleaned between each person.  The risk isn't worth $30.

Granted, I'm no rep for the manufacturer, but from what I could tell, everything that touches blood is an external circuit that's one time use.  I don't think anything that gets returned goes inside the machine.  When somebody got done, they'd strip everything off and throw it in the biohazard can.  They used a double dose of iodine on my arm and they don't contact anything that contacts your blood.  Blood donation is a safe process.  Witht he discovery of AIDS and the advent of disposable equipment, I'm more worried about a falling piano than getting AIDS from either donating whole blood or plasma.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Granted, I'm no rep for the manufacturer, but from what I could tell, everything that touches blood is an external circuit that's one time use.  I don't think anything that gets returned goes inside the machine.  When somebody got done, they'd strip everything off and throw it in the biohazard can.  They used a double dose of iodine on my arm and they don't contact anything that contacts your blood.  Blood donation is a safe process.  Witht he discovery of AIDS and the advent of disposable equipment, I'm more worried about a falling piano than getting AIDS from either donating whole blood or plasma.  

That's not what I'm saying.

I see the phlebotomists adjusting the needles in peoples ams then go touch some buttons on the plasma machine and then go adjust someone else's needle.  No thanks.

Hell, the bad of normal saline that is spiked, I've seen them touch the spike and hit their lab jacket with it by accident, then spike the bad anyway.  Yuk.

A simple blood donation negates so much of that risk.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This.

I'm giving blood very frequently... about every other month.  And I don't get any money... CA has a law against paying for blood.  I schedule visits to the Bloodmobile when they're at Pat & Oscar's so I get a free lunch out of the deal.  I'm upset that they stopped giving away T-shirts, though... I love my free Ts!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I see the phlebotomists adjusting the needles in peoples ams then go touch some buttons on the plasma machine and then go adjust someone else's needle.  No thanks.

That's for you, BTW.

I've donated whole blood a bunch of times and I've had to be redirected on.  Not once has the actual needle been touched.  It's either got a butterfly on the end of it, or a piece of plastic you use to manipulate it.  They just grab the butterfly and move it where it needs to go.  They don't actually grab the needle.  And the needle is in the middle of a 5" square of heavy iodine.  So basically, your argument is both irrational and weak.  You fail.  Are you that much of a bed wetter about guns too?  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's for you, BTW.

I've donated whole blood a bunch of times and I've had to be redirected on.  Not once has the actual needle been touched.  It's either got a butterfly on the end of it, or a piece of plastic you use to manipulate it.  They just grab the butterfly and move it where it needs to go.  They don't actually grab the needle.  And the needle is in the middle of a 5" square of heavy iodine.  So basically, your argument is both irrational and weak.  You fail.  Are you that much of a bed wetter about guns too?  

I'll be the irrational guy in the corner who isn't suffering from sepsis.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's for you, BTW.

I'll the irrational guy in the corner who isn't suffering from sepsis.

I'd be very interested to see how you feel you can get sepsis from a sterile needle, in an almost sterile field, when the people interting and manipulating it don't ever directly contact it.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#22]
If you get paid for it, it isn't a donation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I did it a few times myself.  The first time I went it was really bad.  

My roommate and I just got a decent paying third shift job, but we didn't get paid yet.  The job was also about 35-40 miles away and my car got about 18-20 mpg.  So a day before pay day we didn't have enough cash for gas to get to work.  Donating plasma seemed like the only option.

We left work at 7:30, went home, had breakfast and waited for the plasma place to open.  Then we had to get processed in which took several hours since it was a busy day, then do the actual donation and get our money.  We didn't get out till 6pm or so.    After than we grabbed lunch, gassed up and went back home.  I got about 2 1/2 hours sleep and then it was right back to work.  After getting there I had to explain exactly we we were so tired and our arms looked like we just shot dope.  That was a bad day.

After getting processed in though, most visits would just take an hour and a half.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#25]
How is selling plasma donating?  When I've given blood and plasma at UBS, I get a cookie and some juice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I have done this for several years now, I go twice a week after work and it's how I support my gun habit.
I can't speak for every center but the one here is kept very clean and yes, everything that actually processes the blood/plasma is a one time use only.

Yes there are some risks involved but what doesn't have risks these days? I feel driving there is riskier than the donation process.

I do it for the money plain and simple. I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I will be honest. If it didn't compensate me then I wouldn't do it. It is nice to think that it helps other folks a little but I don't think about it along those lines, I consider it my second job.

The money is not great especially considering the time/inconvenience etc, but I'm basically being paid to lay on bed in an air conditioned building and read a book. If I got a real second job I would have to do some sort of manual labor and I'm too lazy for that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#27]
How much does your center pay?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#28]
$30 just isn't worth the possibility of illness, IMO.

I have given blood, to help, for free.

Those places though......
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

$20 first donation, $40 second donation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
$30 just isn't worth the possibility of illness, IMO.

I have given blood, to help, for free.

Those places though......

Donating blood carries some of the same risks.
If the center wasn't clean then I wouldn't be there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Getting paid isn't donating.

i used to donate all the time. but since being in the desert, anthrax vaccinations, smallpox vaccinations, I get turned away now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Want to make some serious bucks, call around there are places that you will pay you for your platelets, those the are cells that cause clotting, they are used for bone morrow transplants. I would call several places.  I believe in Calif you can't be paid for platelets, either, not sure though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I used to do this twice a week - nice, easy way to make $50 a week, tax free, and I brought a book, read, relaxed, and helped to save lives.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Good for you.  I've paid for 3 guns so far and my gun safe from selling plasma.  The extra $60 a week cash adds up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I'd be very interested to see how you feel you can get sepsis from a sterile needle, in an almost sterile field, when the people inserting and manipulating it don't ever directly contact it.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$20 first donation, $40 second donation.

lucky bastard

I havn't "donated" in probably 2 years, but I just got $30 the first two times.  After than its alternating payments of $15 and $10.

Only time I went after my first two times was when I needed grocery money (was a student on a fixed income)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I did that for a number of years and made pretty good money.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I do it for the money plain and simple. I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I will be honest. If it didn't compensate me then I wouldn't do it. It is nice to think that it helps other folks a little but I don't think about it along those lines, I consider it my second job.

I respect that.  But I give because it's a little thing, and I'm helping someone else out a lot more than the cost to me.

There's a guy at my work who donated marrow.  He saved someone's life.  One of these days, I gotta go down and register for the marrow donor program.  If I ever needed blood, or marrow, I'd hope like hell somebody else was willing to give.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I respect that.  But I give because it's a little thing, and I'm helping someone else out a lot more than the cost to me.

There's a guy at my work who donated marrow.  He saved someone's life.  One of these days, I gotta go down and register for the marrow donor program.  If I ever needed blood, or marrow, I'd hope like hell somebody else was willing to give.
OT: I have been on the bone morrow donor registery for 20 years now, and they have never called me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I believe in Calif you can't be paid for platelets, either, not sure though.

This is true.

One thing... if I'm ever in the hospital, and I need blood, as a donor I won't be stuck with a bill for it.  Any charge for blood over and above what insurance may cover will be paid for by the San Diego Blood Bank.  That's something.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Getting paid isn't donating.

i used to donate all the time. but since being in the desert, anthrax vaccinations, smallpox vaccinations, I get turned away now.

I don't consider it a "donation" either, I'm simply repeating the phrase they use at the center.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top