Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 7:12:10 AM EDT
I am going on Aug 2nd with some good friends of mine.  I have always wanted to do this, but I am sure I will be scared shitless when they open that door!  I will be doing a tandom jump. Funny thing is that I have never been in a plane until earlier this year!

Tell me of your free fall adventures!  
.mil included!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Calling Capt. Pooby...

It's a blast.
Start with AFF 1.

You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]
keep your nuts clear of the straps.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have. Just make sure your airtank is full, your flippers and goggles are on tight and you can breath properly through the mouthpiece before you step out of the plane.

It was a long time ago now, civilian skydiving. No tandom jumps, I did an "accelerated freefall" course, none of that "static line" nonsense. The first jump was the scariest but even that jump wasn't "shit my pants" scarey. It became easier after that with experience, but I didn't jump much after finishing the training course and eventually gave up (combination of time, money, other priorities, etc).
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am going on Aug 2nd with some good friends of mine.  I have always wanted to do this, but I am sure I will be scared shitless when they open that door!  I will be doing a tandom jump. Funny thing is that I have never been in a plane until earlier this year!

Tell me of your free fall adventures!  
.mil included!

I've always wanted to go sky diving, be sure to tell us if it's as fun as it looks.

Every time I mention to my grandpa that I should try sky diving sometime he always just says "only two things fall from the sky, fools and bird shit."

Still falling from the sky like that seems like it would be an awesome rush .
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Went a month ago for the first time.  Was absolutely outstanding.  Only downside is that I think the max altitude we can jump at is 11k so the freefall was kind of short.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Scariest part was about 3 minutes before the jump when they opened the door up and you start mind fucking yourself.  The jump was a breeze.  Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#7]
IT'S FUCKIN AWESOME!!! did it for my 21st birthday and loved it! me and a buddy were going to go back and get certified to solo, but alas school and marriage got in the way of that.

but enjoy! it runs a VERY close 2nd place to sex.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife is going Tomorrow morning.

I think she's lost her mind.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Calling Capt. Pooby...

It's a blast.
Start with AFF 1.

You won't regret it.

Roger that, start with static or AFF, don't do that ghey strap yourself to another man thing.  

It's the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on, if it wasn't so damned expensive I'd be doing it every weekend.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:35:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Calling Capt. Pooby...

It's a blast.
Start with AFF 1.

You won't regret it.

Capt. Pooby took me, It was most fun.

Thanks Pooby!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
IT'S FUCKIN AWESOME!!! did it for my 21st birthday and loved it! me and a buddy were going to go back and get certified to solo, but alas school and marriage got in the way of that.

but enjoy! it runs a VERY close 2nd place to sex.

Yes it does.  And like sex you never get tired of it. You just want more!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I did a tandem jump and had this big idea that I was gonna get in the door, get ready, then jump.  What actually happens is you get to the door, the jumpmaster dude pushes you OUT the door, then he stands there until HE is ready to go.  You are along for the ride with minimal control.  It was cool though, I got about 60s of freefall.  Once you pop the chute it's amazingly quitet compared to the freefall and the view is incredible.  I think I might have had a mild heart attack, too.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#15]
My dad paid for my first jump when I turned 18.

It was pretty sweet.  I had a video of it and I'm not sure what happened to it now.   I had a screen shot of me in the air giving the devil horns but I lost it on my old computer.  

Anyway, the jump itself was sweet.   It was a tandem jump (strapped to somebody else).    A guy with a camera on his head jumped out first and we followed him so he could tape us.

The scariest part of it for me was when we got up and strapped together on the plane and started walking to the door.   It was already open because several others had already jumped, but walking back to the door and stepping out on the plane was the worst part, because I already knew I was jumping, I just didn't want to trip and fall out or something .

They slowed down and we climbed out on the outside of the plane, the woman told me when it was time, just to arch my back and let go.   I did and it was sweet.

Once the chute opens, you can hear people on the ground talking from farther up than I thought you would.   That was kinda neat.

We landed on our feet too
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I have 63 jumps.  You'll love it.  Its the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Don't forget to pull.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#17]

It was a blast. I was scared until after a few seconds of falling then it was fun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#18]
http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/images/events/1359985miller.jpg

I'm the guy on the bottom.

Mark  USPA D-4846
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Tagged for the after action report.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Its the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Clothing Optional my friend.  Everyone's ugly in freefall so there's nothing to be worried about.

I have 107 jumps.  But its been several years.  Nearly 10 actually.  =(  I loved every minute of it.  My first jump, AFF 1, was very eventful.  I threw the pilot, and the chute SNAPPED open.  I don't know exactly what happened, but it hurt like hell.  I reached up to unstow the steering lines, and I couldn't find the left one.  I was spinning, and accelerating.  I fumbled around looking for it for what seemed like an hour, all the while getting dizzier.  I decided things weren't working right, and I didn't know how to fix it so I pulled reserve.  It opened fine. Let me tell you, that reserve sure looked good.  I landed the reserve somewhat successfully, skidding on my ass.

Instructors asked me what the hell happened and I explained as best I could.  They said they watched my canopy open, I went into a spin, and then bam, reserve.  Total time elapsed from main deployment to reserve was under 10 seconds, according to them. They were convinced that I had just freaked out and pulled reserve before trying to fix the problem.  When they recovered the canopy they apologized profusely since it had 4 broken lines on the left side.    They were pretty surprised that I had diagnosed that there was a problem and pulled reserve so quickly.  To me, I debated for a loooooong time before I pulled.  They took me up for AFF 2 right after, for free.  Kinda like getting back on the horse after you fall off...

I was 19, so I had to find an older diver to buy the rigger a bottle.

If you are contemplating going, DO IT.  You will love it.

rr
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

search for Fallschermsprong
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool thanks for the stories and pics!  I can't wait to report my own!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I did a AFF jump. It was great. I wasn't scared at all before or during the jump.  In fact I was very calm and having a good time.

After I landed my legs wouldn't hold me up  

I'd love to do another jump.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I jumped once 5yrs ago. Tandem jump from 16000ft. AWESOME experience. I was nervous as hell on the way up and scared shitless at the door but as soon as you leave the plane all fear leaves your body. The free-fall was a very peaceful almost spiritual experience for me. All that came crashing to an end when the chute opened and the harness I was in damn near cinched my nuts off, lol. The instructor on my back said our chute must have been packed too tight & that he had never experienced an opening like that in all of his 2K+ jumps. He was a fairly small guy & I'm around 215lb's so I don't' think it was due to us being excessively heavy. I'd compare it to driving a car into a brick wall at 20mph. All in all a great experience that I highly recommend (especially if you don't experience the issues I did). No vertigo during free-fall, only during the parachute part where you're spinning the chute intentionally in different directions (forgot the term for it), another trick where you pull down on the handles and experience a brief weightless feeling. It was really cool but I'm not too eager to do it again. I do want to go hang-gliding though. Hot Air ballooning sucks by the way, don't waste your money, lol.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#26]
check out dropzone.com.  Its the arfcom of the skydiving world.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clothing Optional my friend.  Everyone's ugly in freefall so there's nothing to be worried about.

I have 107 jumps.  But its been several years.  Nearly 10 actually.  =(  I loved every minute of it.  My first jump, AFF 1, was very eventful.  I threw the pilot, and the chute SNAPPED open.  I don't know exactly what happened, but it hurt like hell.  I reached up to unstow the steering lines, and I couldn't find the left one.  I was spinning, and accelerating.  I fumbled around looking for it for what seemed like an hour, all the while getting dizzier.  I decided things weren't working right, and I didn't know how to fix it so I pulled reserve.  It opened fine. Let me tell you, that reserve sure looked good.  I landed the reserve somewhat successfully, skidding on my ass.

Instructors asked me what the hell happened and I explained as best I could.  They said they watched my canopy open, I went into a spin, and then bam, reserve.  Total time elapsed from main deployment to reserve was under 10 seconds, according to them. They were convinced that I had just freaked out and pulled reserve before trying to fix the problem.  When they recovered the canopy they apologized profusely since it had 4 broken lines on the left side.    They were pretty surprised that I had diagnosed that there was a problem and pulled reserve so quickly.  To me, I debated for a loooooong time before I pulled.  They took me up for AFF 2 right after, for free.  Kinda like getting back on the horse after you fall off...

I was 19, so I had to find an older diver to buy the rigger a bottle.

If you are contemplating going, DO IT.  You will love it.

rr

Heck 10 seconds is 2000 feet in FF!  Don't want to mess with a bad chute too long.  I had a delayed pilot chute on jump 7.  Arch Look Reach Pull Check Check...  Nothin'.  WTF?!?!!?  Hard check L&R and SNAP.  Out it came.  I was just reaching for the cutaway.  Started my pull at 4K and had a chute at 1800.  Same deal with a free jump that day which went fine as did the next 40 or so.  Man that was fun stuff but got expensive.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#29]
i have 345 Combat HALO's......

(JUST KIDDING)

Done some static .. and tandem.. but that's about it for me!

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#30]
My GF and I went a few summers ago. It was a tandem jump and it was awesome.

We had about 45 seconds of free-fall before opening. Strangely to me , it wasn't a sensation of falling , but one of velocity and very loud wind in the ears. You definately don't have a choice about leaving the plane - the instructor is in control. I had an awesome flight.

I want to go for the AFF 1 next. I feel like I still haven't really jumped yet. I think leaving the plane on my own will be truly jumping. I would have done it then , but cash was tight. But the tandem is well woth doing.

You'll have a blast and it's an experience hard to describe - you need to FEEL it.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Been jumping for 15 yrs and it is probably the biggest rush i have ever had(next to getting shot at).

You will love it!!

Here is my son on his 1st AFF jump

Exit, Im the slow guy leaving the door

FREE
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey Freefall,

Are you getting a slot for HALO?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#36]
No, but went and visited these guys yesterday:

www.wwiiadt.org

They're a reenactment group in Fredrick OK, and guys train to jump for airshows and other events.  While I was there a group of guys in authentic fatigues was training around the long tables getting ready for their first jump.  They have a couple of period painted C-47s and a hack Beech 18. I think I'll sign on; costs are minimal and only take four weekends.

Note: pics aren't mine (got from the net).  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's a video of my daughter during a tandum jump.  Was going very well until her primary shute did not open.  I saw her falling, falling and then falling some more.  She was lower than everyone else.  The instructer had to cut away the shute and open the secondary one!  She was next to last to jump but first to land!!!

Video

azski
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#38]
No

They want me to go to Scuba school when I get to 6th RTB

I reminded them im 39 and they told me it will be ok since I made it through Ranger School at 38

If a slot ever comes around I will do my best to get it.

FREE

Quoted:
Hey Freefall,

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Military Free Fall

-its awesome. ALMOST better than sex.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks,
 He was good until he got a girlfriend, now all he does is work, fuck, sleep and complain.

Hopefully he will stop soon, I guess he is just a normal teenager.

FREE

Quoted:
FREE:  Impressive kid.  You're a lucky dad, and he's a lucky son.  God bless both of you and keep you safe, and provide you with free beer!
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Bumping for the AAR.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Haven't jumped in a while, but it's a blast. Did it for about 5 years non-stop...Done everything from 3000 ft hop and pops to 20,000 all while a civilian. I logged a few jumps with a moderator here a few years ago, good times!! It's a great experience. You will have fun, I promise!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#43]
A boatload of fun.  I had to give it up to preserve relationships.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
A boatload of fun.  I had to give it up to preserve relationships.  

Isn't that the truth. We can't have you risking your life and hanging with jump Bettys all weekend, can we!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
No

I reminded them im 39 and they told me it will be ok since I made it through Ranger School at 38

FREE

Quoted:
Hey Freefall,

SCUBA is a lot of fun, but I know you would rather have a slot for HALO school.

Good to see you're doing well, I recall that thread in which you posted the pics of you and your son on the jump.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks,
 Im in Florida by the pool now

Gotta sign in on the 10th oh well gotta go to work sometime.

FREE

Quoted:

Quoted:
No

FREE

Quoted:
Hey Freefall,

SCUBA is a lot of fun, but I know you would rather have a slot for HALO school.

Good to see you're doing well, I recall that thread in which you posted the pics of you and your son on the jump.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes, I did it.

I was scared shitless and would never consider doing it again.
One jump. Not tandem, It was a static line jump out of a Ceasna. I think it was called a T-10 chute. This was in like 1984 at Martin Field near Canton Ohio.

I was out of the military and going to paramedic school. I worked a normal 40 hour/week job during the day and went to school at night. If I wasn't in class I was doing my clinicals. I did this for a year, 7 days a week. The only time I wasn't either working or going to school was when I slept.
When I got done, I wanted to do something really different to celebrate. That is what I did.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I made 10 jumps many years ago under a modified T-10. I guess the tandem jump is ok however there is nothing like stepping out of the door on your own. It is a max adrenelin rush like nothing you have ever experienced, and it is addective. I made I think 7 static line and 3 hop and pops. The tandem is ok since you get stabelized and get to enjoy a long frefall. I am told that the best ride is a HALO. Unfortunately not available to a civilian like myself.
Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top