Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2001 10:51:31 AM EDT
I'm about 2 or 3 months away from joining.  I have zero health problems.  I have 20/20 vision and good hearing.  No joint problems, and have never broken a bone.  Only problem is, I am overweight but I'm working on that right now (lost 10 lbs. in two weeks so far).  

I would like to be in Force Recon.  I know this is very hard to get into.  From what I hear, getting in is one of the hardest parts.  For one thing, if you're good enough to be chosen for training, your unit isn't likely to give you up.  So, what are some possible ways to get in?  I think I will try for a MEU and see what happens from there.  How hard is it to get into a MEU?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW:

Enlist as an infantryman, then excel and strive to be the best Marine and best teammate you can be. There is no way, as far as I know right now, to enlist with any kind of Recon guarantee like the Army does for Ranger Battalions.

Do a couple of floats and when you're in outstanding shape and can land nav with your eyes closed and one foot tied behind your back, go to a Recon tryout.

You will have to score a first class PFT, then do the obstacle course for time (not sure of the actual time cutoff), then do a ten mile hump with a ruck on your back. Then you head to the pool. If you pass all that, there will be an interview with the Sergeant Major of the unit you're trying out for. Then and only then will you have to worry about getting permission from your CO.

For now, get into your unit and find a fireteam or squad leader who is really locked on and do what he does, how he does it. Start carrying yourself like a Corporal when you're a Lance Corporal and you will be golden.

Don't get in fights; don't get a DUI; don't write bad checks; don't get a girl pregnant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top