Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 8:08:05 PM EDT
Alright, the reason I am asking is that this is my frist ever attempt at doing a para wrap.    let me know what you guys think about my first attempt?

It is a gerber LMF Infantry II in coyote brown..

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO it looks ok but you don't really need it on that knife.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks pretty good.  Do you have big hands?

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks nice, but that knife doesn't need wrapped handles.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good to me! How do you like that knife? I havnt been so high on recent Gerber stuff but that one looks pretty nice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Huge hands.... XXL Glove size.. so it fits good... but I wanted to give it a try on my drop blade as my other ones are Kbars or other blades... but figured i would give it a run.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Looks good to me! How do you like that knife? I havnt been so high on recent Gerber stuff but that one looks pretty nice.

so far its good.  I chose it over a SOG or a CRKT desert.. felt better and metal seemed much better. .plus the SOG was made in Japan and the CRKT was made in taiwan.. so I went for the Made in USA....
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

gheyest post of the day?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
you could do the strider wrap on it!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
you could do the strider wrap on it!!!

Yeah, that will be my next one.. I have an old bowie that doesnt have a handle, I am going to do a standard wrap then do strider on top of it...

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

gheyest post of the day?

It wasn't a pick up line for a fisting video.  

Where was your mind?  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#11]
That shit is sweet! Nice work!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#12]
nice 1970's table cloth
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

gheyest post of the day?

Where was your mind?  

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup...............it's wrapped alrighty
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
nice 1970's table cloth

Straight up 73'  ....  Keepin' it real.....    

Thats how I roll.......

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#16]
You inspired me to try it myself.

Didn't come out as well as yours... however it really does make the grip feel better.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:59:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You inspired me to try it myself.

i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/feldmarschel/knifewrap.jpg

Didn't come out as well as yours... however it really does make the grip feel better.

is that a benchmade drop blade?  I have that same knife!  

Looks good to me!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:00:16 AM EDT
[#18]
good job.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:07:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Try the strider wrap - it's not that hard and the texture is better. Here's my outcast:

For those of you saying he doesn't need to wrap his knife, can you think of a survival situation where it wouldn't be a good thing to have as much para cord around as possible?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:18:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Try the strider wrap - it's not that hard and the texture is better. Here's my outcast:

docpcintn.com/images/wrap.jpg

For those of you saying he doesn't need to wrap his knife, can you think of a survival situation where it wouldn't be a good thing to have as much para cord around as possible?

That is exactly my thought.. With the current wrap i have exactly 5 feet on the handle and 2 feet braided into the butt.. i can use it for things like shelter and starting fires and whatever else.....   I am going to do the strider wrap on one of my other blades later today, I will get  a pic up this afternoon...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:41:27 AM EDT
[#21]
just purchased same knife in black last night...
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/botach_2011_28694254
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I am going to do the strider wrap on one of my other blades later today

If you have a vise, I suggest clamping the knife in there vertically with the handle facing outward. It will make the project much easier.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:50:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The LMFII is one current knife that Gerber "got it right".  Good scandinavian steel, decent edge retention and easy to sharpen.

Ideally it would be full tang (the LMFII is ~95%), but the isolated butt serves as both a "shock absorber" and provides insulation from cutting electrical wire.

As the OP said, IMHO CRKT is turning out some serious junk.

The LMFII fared better than some knives costing 7 times as much in a destruction test on knifetests.com.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The LMFII is one current knife that Gerber "got it right".  Good scandinavian steel, decent edge retention and easy to sharpen.

Ideally it would be full tang (the LMFII is ~95%), but the isolated butt serves as both a "shock absorber" and provides insulation from cutting electrical wire.

As the OP said, IMHO CRKT is turning out some serious junk.

The LMFII fared better than some knives costing 7 times as much in a destruction test on knifetests.com.  

Speaking of Isolated butt... check this story out...

www.lapolicegear.com/gelmfiiknbli.html

True Story from the field of the Gerber LMF II: “I’m here writing this letter because Gerber’s new LMF II worked just like you said it would. My spotter and I set our position over a section of roard where there had been a great deal of IED’s (improvised explosive devices) placed. There was no moon and it was dark as it could get. This meant I would be able to see the bad guys with my NVG’s (night vision glasses), and they would not be able to see us… which is the way a soldier likes it.

As we began to engage two targets, a larger contingent of bad guys arrived and started looking for us. I decided we should pull back, and I radioed for evacuation. We moved to a bombed-out compound and set up a defensive position to wait for the helicopter. We were then told that the helo had been diverted to a med evac and we would have to wait for our Bradleys, which were about 10 or 15 minutes out… no big deal.

Two of the bad guys moved into the compound. We were waiting for them to come into the open for a clearer shot. As luck would have it, they turned on a generator. Within seconds, the compound was lit up like a Wal-Mart parking lot, and the two men continued their search.

My spotter and I noticed two 220-volt power lines running along the wall to the floodlights. I remembered you telling me that the handle and butt cap of the LMF II knife were insulated and would not conduct electricity.

I have to admit I wasn’t exactly thrilled about the thought of having to cut the “hot lines,” but in battle you do what you have to do.

I moved over to the wall and wedged the knife behind the power lines and used my body weight to cut through the lines. I did turn my head and close my eyes.

I felt the heat from the lines arcing but that was it. I wasn’t electrocuted. Darkness returned and our cover was restored. We were able to re-engage while we waited for our evac. The knife blade had a couple of chunks eaten out of it by the high voltage, but when I got back to the compound I worked most of them out with a honing stone. You can still see where the blade was arced. Thank you and your company for this great knife.”

SPC Dillard Johnson
Platoon Sergeant
3rd ID 3-7 Cav

Dont know if this is true.. but I think it shows the concept...

ETA:  Actually, i found out from Gerber's website it was a true story, infact they have a photo fo SPC Dillard Johnson holding his blade....  Good story!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have a vise, I suggest clamping the knife in there vertically with the handle facing outward. It will make the project much easier.

thats a bunch of hype. just shove that knife into the front tire on your car. the rubber will grip the knife nice and tightly and the weight of the car or truck will keep the tire and knife from moving around. way better than using a pansy vice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
just purchased same knife in black last night...
us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/botach_2011_28694254

LA Police Gear still has them on their closeout page as of last night for $60.  

I'm not going to wrap mine but I was going to run a weave from the guard holes back to the butt and then a lanyard off there.  That way I have plenty of cord on it while it resides in my bug out supplies in the turck.  Right next to the 3 hundred foot coils of 550 cord.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Love the blade... (and the kimber)... I have a KBAR i was going to wrap.. after seeing yours.. I think I will give it a whirl tonight.. but i tried the strider.. i dont know if I have the patients at this time (Been up since 0300 working) to complete it...

More updates later!

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Well if we're just gonna post pics of knives and guns...

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#30]
para cord wrapped knives and guns.. get it right!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#31]
If you wrap the handle with Paracord how do you fold the blade???
Just kidding.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If you wrap the handle with Paracord how do you fold the blade???
Just kidding.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

gheyest post of the day?

Where was your mind?  

Young Frankenstein. Madeline Kahn, commenting on Peter Boyle's (Frankenstein monster) hands: "What big hands. You must have an enormous schwantzstucker!"

Funnier when she said it, I admit.

And I like the wrap job okay, but wouldn't do it on that knife.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats a bunch of hype. just shove that knife into the front tire on your car. the rubber will grip the knife nice and tightly and the weight of the car or truck will keep the tire and knife from moving around. way better than using a pansy vice.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top