Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/18/2008 7:01:35 PM EDT
Last week I sold a '95 Mustang GT to my sisters "recovering" meth-head, alcoholic boyfriend. He was on top of everything... contacting me about buying it, scheduling a payment plan w/ me, insuring it, registering it, etc. I whipped up a short to the point contract, signed the title and released all responsibility to him, in good faith he'd be paying the balance owed of $3500.00.

Everything was going smooth until I get a call today from my mom. She calls and says "you know that money Sean owes you?", "uhh huhh...", "Don't be expecting it", "excuse me?", "he just plowed it into the back of someones Tahoe and it's totaled; he's going to jail on a DUI... he blew a .097".... THIS IS FUCKED!

I'm really glad this didn't happen in my younger years and I've had some martial arts training... otherwise I'd be going apeshit right now. It is amazing what age can do for a person: one of the first things I asked "was are the other people alright?" $3500.00 dollars sucks to be out, but knowing that a family was alright because of being crashed into by some piece of shit, seemed a bit more important all of a sudden... I don't know that even a year ago, I'd have been able to say I'd have done the same.

So what does ARFCOM think I should do to get my money? Thanks guys and gals... please drive safe and sober!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
you=stupid.

ETA: call your sister and yell
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't drive drunk, but does your collision insurance not cover an accident if you're drunk?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't drive drunk, but does your collision insurance not cover an accident if you're drunk?

He sell car to druggie
Druggie has title and all assosciated responsibility
Druggie go smash
Why druggie pay for broken car while in jail?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you=stupid.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you just got a life lesson. Be glad it only cost $3500.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm afraid that any advise given at this point would be moot. You make bad descisions on important subjects.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you=stupid.

I'm well aware I probably shouldn't have let him make payments. Thank you for your contributions...<CoC>
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
You gave a tweaking alky a deadly weapon. I'd be feeling pretty lucky that he didn't kill anybody with it.

BSW
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#10]
How could you be that naive?

Meth head? Alcoholic? Relative? Payment plan?

Dude, seriously.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#11]

So what does ARFCOM think I should do to get my money?

Get him some high heels and a mini-skirt and put him to work on the "blvd"?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
No insurance??

Some still pay depsite the DUI accident since you are technically a lien holder
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You gave a tweaking alky a deadly weapon. I'd be feeling pretty lucky that he didn't kill anybody with it.

BSW
This.

People only see $$$ when they get in a car wreck. If the other party finds out...

Will really be icing on the cake when he tries to sue you for selling him a car when you knew he was an alcoholic tweaker...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

So what does ARFCOM think I should do to get my money? Thanks guys and gals... please drive safe and sober!

You should not "work out a payment plan" with a worthless druggie.  Cash on the barrel head--or no car/title.

Yes. I believe this was a near fatal mistake. Though it was told to me that he'd been one the right path for quite some time now... I just fell to another tweakers manipulative ways.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Last week I sold a '95 Mustang GT to my sisters "recovering" meth-head, alcoholic boyfriend. He was on top of everything... contacting me about buying it, scheduling a payment plan w/ me, insuring it, registering it, etc. I whipped up a short to the point contract, signed the title and released all responsibility to him, in good faith he'd be paying the balance owed of $3500.00.

Everything was going smooth until I get a call today from my mom. She calls and says "you know that money Sean owes you?", "uhh huhh...", "Don't be expecting it", "excuse me?", "he just plowed it into the back of someones Tahoe and it's totaled; he's going to jail on a DUI... he blew a .097".... THIS IS FUCKED!

I'm really glad this didn't happen in my younger years and I've had some martial arts training... otherwise I'd be going apeshit right now. It is amazing what age can do for a person: one of the first things I asked "was are the other people alright?" $3500.00 dollars sucks to be out, but knowing that a family was alright because of being crashed into by some piece of shit, seemed a bit more important all of a sudden... I don't know that even a year ago, I'd have been able to say I'd have done the same.

You = Stupid
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
you=stupid.

I'm well aware I probably shouldn't have let him make payments. Thank you for your contributions...<CoC>

Seriously though why would you do that?  I assume your sister and mother pressured you into it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#18]
the original post said it was insured
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#19]
You had to know you were rolling the dice, and unfortunately for you they came up snake eyes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm afraid that any advise given at this point would be moot. You make bad descisions on important subjects.

yep,

and
yep
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How could you be that naive?

Meth head? Alcoholic? Relative? Payment plan?

Dude, seriously.

I have no clue. My judgement these days is apparently screwed. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
you=stupid.

Seriously though why would you do that?  I assume your sister and mother pressured you into it?

Looks like I'm one cigar less...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#23]
You should take him to court with for breach of contract when he doesn't pay. The judge will order in your favor and garnish his wages except there won't be any wages because he is a recovering meth addict who just got his license revoked for DUI so he has no job. Judge Judy will shake her head, give you both a tounge lashing and the folks at home will chuckle.

You will get a judgment in your favor and no money.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Too bad you can't get the court to make paying off the car something he has to complete before he is released from probation.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
you=stupid.

ETA: call your sister and yell
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You better hope he had insurance and that he had officially transferred the title.  If it was still legally titled in your name, signed or not, you could be in the line of fire.

Beyond, him owing money for the car... I have no ties to it. EVERYTHING was in his name. I was w/ him @ the DMV for the transfer of the title.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Last week I sold a '95 Mustang GT to my sisters "recovering" meth-head, alcoholic boyfriend. He was on top of everything... contacting me about buying it, scheduling a payment plan w/ me,

That's as far as I had to go. The lesson here is, stupid is as stupid does.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You should take him to court with for breach of contract when he doesn't pay. The judge will order in your favor and garnish his wages except there won't be any wages because he is a recovering meth addict who just got his license revoked for DUI so he has no job. Judge Judy will shake her head, give you both a tounge lashing and the folks at home will chuckle.

You will get a judgment in your favor and no money.

Doesn't the "fine print" on the tv judge shows say that THEY will pay him?
(actually, I believe it pays both of them for being on the tv show)

ETA: and this is exactly the type of case they LOVE to have on tv

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
you=stupid.

You still haven't learned anything.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#31]
oh man...

You have much to learn about humans and drugs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Cash talks, Bullshit walks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#33]
you tried to do the right thing, and it bit you. no shame in that.

a lot of these folks make a stink about it, but you tried to give somebody a second chance, it didn't work out, but you made an honorably good decision

it aint worth much comin from me but congrats, i did a similar thing on a lil bit smaller scale. it bit me, but i know i did the right thing
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#34]
From the original post, and I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like he got insurance and all that other stuff.  If so, you may get lucky and the insurance company may pay out on the totalled car.  You need to find a way to get that money to come to you instead of into his pocket and then out wherever he decides.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, so beyond telling me how dumb I am for having sold the car to him on these terms... does anyone have some advice beyond telling me something I already know? Or do I just chalk this up to a thread I'll ask to have trashed. I am well aware that my decisions leading up to this matter, were not the best...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#36]

ETA:  Like someone posted above, if it's insured and totaled, make sure the insurance $$ goes to you to pay as much of the $3500.  Talk to your sister to help make it happen.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Ok, so beyond telling me how dumb I am for having sold the car to him on these terms... does anyone have some advice beyond telling me something I already know? Or do I just chalk this up to a thread I'll ask to have trashed. I am well aware that my decisions leading up to this matter, were not the best...

some kind of lien methinks, how youd get that, i dont know.  Itll at least end up in court.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
From the original post, and I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like he got insurance and all that other stuff.  If so, you may get lucky and the insurance company may pay out on the totalled car.  You need to find a way to get that money to come to you instead of into his pocket and then out wherever he decides.

Thank you. I will have to find out what kind of coverages he had.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
oh man...

You have much to learn about humans and drugs.

+1

Never, ever associate on any level with a drug addict. They deal with people, no matter if it's their mother or a chance encounter, for three reasons. 1)To screw them out of something. 2) To get more drugs, and 3) to screw them out of something to get more drugs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#40]
It's seems to me that's its' always those weak moments, when we're trying to give someone the benefit of the doubt or a break, that come back to haunt us.

I just hope he had insurance and you come out of this with only the loss of the vehical. Remember -- no good deed goes unpunished.

Good luck on the outcome, but I think you might get hosed on this one. All the same I hope for the best for you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

There.

Ask him nicely in between his release from jail and visit to his dealer.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Call the judge mathis and judge emilian shows and
ask them what THEY can do for you in this situation
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

some kind of lien methinks, how youd get that, i dont know.  Itll at least end up in court.

Yeah, I can't wait for that. I had thought maybe if I sell this guy a car and he can get to work all the time, he won't do drugs and be a general POS.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#44]
You got an expensive lesson and a tax deduction at the same time. Move on.
If you repeat the same thing again, get your head checked.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#45]
No good deed goes unpunished.

with that said, good luck with recovering any money
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I can't wait for that. I had thought maybe if I sell this guy a car and he can get to work all the time, he won't do drugs and be a general POS.

I would suggest calling the dmv and asking them if theres any way you can get a lien placed on it for non payment or something but since youve signed the title over your screwed in that respect.  If you have a contract and know his insurance company id call them and see what they can do.  probably tell you to get fucked but its worth a try.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would suggest calling the dmv and asking them if theres any way you can get a lien placed on it for non payment or something but since youve signed the title over your screwed in that respect.  If you have a contract and know his insurance company id call them and see what they can do.  probably tell you to get fucked but its worth a try.

It appears as though his coverage was full. I will try to contact them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#48]

I got some beach front property in oklahoma. interested?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
you tried to do the right thing, and it bit you. no shame in that.

a lot of these folks make a stink about it, but you tried to give somebody a second chance, it didn't work out, but you made an honorably good decision

it aint worth much comin from me but congrats, i did a similar thing on a lil bit smaller scale. it bit me, but i know i did the right thing

An honorably good decision on a smaller scale, like selling a guy that has charges of domestic violence and robery a handgun and then goes and tries to murder someone?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#50]
It was very kind stupid of you to loan him the money. I don't loan anyone anyhting because the day comes to collect either they don't have it and you look like a jerk hounding them for your cash. besides there's an old saying: you don't lend your horse, your gun, or your wife.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top