Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2008 6:36:00 PM EDT
So who on ARFCOM does any type of Martial Arts training?  

I've been training in a non-traditional Tae Kwon Do since I was 4.  I'm a first degree black belt at 16 years old.  I've also been practicing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for 2 years.  I'm not too great at BJJ yet, though.

So who else trains?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Not anymore, not for many years.  I use to go practice Judo twice a week.  It's good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Almost 20 years of training. I coach and co-own a gym in Michigan. We teach Judo, Brazilian jiujitsu, kickboxing & mixed martial arts.

I have Black belts in traditional styles, as well as certifications in Sanda & kickboxing.

I've competed in TKD, full contact karate, kickboxing, grappling, Brazilian Jiu jitsu, shootfighting and mixed martial arts thru the years.

At 37, i'm still out there banging with the young bucks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link, but this thread is for all martial arts, not just BJJ.  This is more of a discussion of who does what and if they like it and what they like/dislike about it.  A

wesome.  Don't let the cocky young kids mess with you.  I know a couple of guys in my school that could kick my ass and they're very overweight or 30 years older than I am.  Luckily, I don't need an ass kicking and am not one of the cocky young ones.  

I also help teach kids 14 and younger at the school.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
does GUN-FU count?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the link, but this thread is for all martial arts, not just BJJ.  This is more of a discussion of who does what and if they like it and what they like/dislike about it.

Well in that case...I like the confidence & training, staying constantly sharp. I dislike how the martial arts has lost a lot of the respect & honor it used to have over the past few years.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah.  That's one thing we stress at our school is the honor and respect.  I think that my training in Martial Arts has helped me immensely in everything I do.  I always get compliments about how respectful I am.  It's usually when I actually look adults in the eye when they're talking to me and say hello to them when I'm out with friends and such.

@ Stormwalker: I don't see why not!  There's a certain..art..of fighting with a gun

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I use to do Judo, I really liked it. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into it soon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
That isn't a bad kick!  Some things could be changed, but they seem pretty young.  Probably shouldn't have kicked to the face in a tourney though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Fixed it - so there !!

another

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/norge1956/olysparr232.jpg

your family?  Either way, good for the little kid!

I'd also like to add that wha tI mean by traditional is that we practice a little bit of different styles and not just Tae Kwon Do even though it is primarily a TKD school.  We do some Escrima, which is the (I believe the Puerto Rican) style of stick fighting.  We do a small bit of knife fighting as well.  Nunchaku and bo staff are also a weekly practice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]
used to live eat sleep and breathe Muay Thai, and used to compete.

ETA:  about to move, and hopefully have some room to set up my gear and at least hit the bags again.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Since we're posting pics...after my last win in MMA:

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Good win!  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk185/Glock4lifer/fall2006029-1-1-1.jpg

man, Tim Sylvia let himself go.  but you still kicked his ass!  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL!!!!  But don't be fooled, that guy is a tough s.o.b. He just carries a gut. Superheavyweight fight.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL!!!!  But don't be fooled, that guy is a tough s.o.b. He just carries a gut. Superheavyweight fight.

oh I wasn't dissing him, he just reminded me of Tim when I saw him.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Almost 20 years of training. I coach and co-own a gym in Michigan. We teach Judo, Brazilian jiujitsu, kickboxing & mixed martial arts.

I have Black belts in traditional styles, as well as certifications in Sanda & kickboxing.

I've competed in TKD, full contact karate, kickboxing, grappling, Brazilian Jiu jitsu, shootfighting and mixed martial arts thru the years.

where in Michigan and who are your BJJ instructors?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#23]
i kickboxed for about 10 years, havent done it in a little while though. im in the black.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Earned my shodan in ITF Tae Kwan Do (with some Hapkido mixed in) couple of weeks ago.  Haven't decided if I'll start branching into the other disciplines our dojo teaches, or stick with TKD for the time being.  Want to lose more weight before trying MMA/BJJ, which is taught after our TKD classes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

where in Michigan and who are your BJJ instructors?

Location is westland michigan...Combat sports and fitness.
I have no rank in BJJ, but my partner is a purple under Marcio Corleta.
We also have a a few other purples and blues formerly under various local bjj schools now with us.

Any other questions?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh.  "Martial Arts".  I thought it said "Marital Aids".  Oops, my bad.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Muay Thai, BJJ, boxing, and MMA.

Did karate when much younger, but I don't really count that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Any of old guys remember this guy?

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/norge1956/walla.jpg

bill wallace?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any of old guys remember this guy?

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/norge1956/walla.jpg

bill wallace?

You got it -SuperFoot
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Just started Krav Maga this week as part of my SHTF preps.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I see.  Well tell your son to keep up the training.  

In my area, there's two school within 15 minutes of each other.  One is a school that has the goal of teaching you how to fight.  The other school teaches you how to defend yourself if you need to fight.  That's two completely different things there.  While I am completely confident of my abilities to defend myself n a fight if it comes to that, I don't go looking for them.  The former school, however, I cannot say the same for.  I go to school with a kid that took karate at the first school I mentioned.  He was always looking for a fight.  Has anyone seen the Karate Kid?  The one with daniel and the blonde guy that walks around in a karate letterman.  This kid is basically like the blonde guy in that movie.  Always looking for fights.  I can proudly say that I've never had to fight so far.  But then again, I don't go looking for trouble.  Needless to say, I go to the school that taught me how to defend myself.  If a knife or a gun is pointed at me, I can handle it.  If someone swings a club/bat/bottle/knife at me, I know how to handle it.  From talking with the kid that trained at the other school..I can honestly say that he was never taught any of this.  The curriculum is based on violent, aggressive fighting.  Now, I'm not saying that you don't need to be aggressive, but there's a fine line between being a controlled aggressive fighter and being an angry aggressive fighter.  The fighter that can keep his head will win 9/10 times.  

That's awesome that your son got to meet superfoot.  Kicks are my strong point and I'd love to meet Bill Wallace.  Your son is VERY lucky.

Krav Maga is an Israeli art, right?  If it's what I'm thinking, it's the art that teaches you how to kill your opponent in the shortest time and in the least amount of techniques.  I could be wrong though.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Took a lot of Mui Thai and jiu-jitsu. Now, I'm in the Marines and doing the MCMAP shit, which kind of brings all of the martial arts into one category. Still like to mix it up though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Muay Thai is a brutal art.  If you can be good at Muay Thai, you can do some damage.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Good looking technique if it's supposed to be the kick I'm thinking of.  Actually...if it's supposed to be the kick I think it is, then that's perfect technique.  What style do you study?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#37]
karate, tai kwon do, jujitsu, tai chi, sambo, wu shu, student of many, master of none (except for my own )

ETA, it was just a photo op, I saw a picture of that pose in a book or on the net somewhere, and decided to copy it, I wouldn't use that kick in a real fight.

I mean, it wouldnt really be usefull to do that exact pose, it's sort of awkward too,  bending the body out of shape.

but thanks..
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Tai Chi is a very relaxing art.  I've never studied it, but they offer it at my school.
As for the kick, I wouldn't use it in a fight either!  Too impractical and really not that much power.  You'd get more power from a standing kick and if you have to jump to hit them, you're using the wrong technique at the wrong time!
I wouldn't consider myself a master in ANY of the styles I study.  Really, master is just a rank.  You'll always come into new situations you've never seen before and then learn something new.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

We also have a a few other purples and blues formerly under various local bjj schools now with us.

Any other questions?

Garcia's place right?  I might be stopping thru next week.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:34:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Hap-ki-do
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:29:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Tae Kwon Do - 1st Degree Black Belt

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:37:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Aikido and Iaido here, though its been a few years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:49:33 AM EDT
[#43]
I would respect anyone that can kick someones ass in a one-on-one scenario.

But then again, I'd rather respect someone that fights with a .45 and would kill a a bad player whose kick boxing could take off my nuts.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:35:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Karate , Jujitsu, mixed with MT and boxing. Been doing it for 3 + years. I do it for knowledge and to stay in shape. WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:12:55 AM EDT
[#45]
I got a Red belt (no stripe,2 steps below black belt..) In Tae Known Do during high school..Now I could barely kick my way out of a papersack, despite 2 years of training, its gone.
Edit:If I planned on fighting much I would look into  Jujitsu. For a aerobic qualities of the dicipline Tae Kwon Do was more physical than alot of aeroibic classes according to some girls in the class. I may go back and start over from scatch so My wife can have something fun to do as a couple.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any other questions?

Garcia's place right?  I might be stopping thru next week.

Yep, that's the one. Garcia is one of the co-owners & instructors as well(there's 4 of us).

Hope ya make it in!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fixed it - so there !!

another

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/norge1956/olysparr232.jpg

your family?  Either way, good for the little kid!

I'd also like to add that wha tI mean by traditional is that we practice a little bit of different styles and not just Tae Kwon Do even though it is primarily a TKD school.  We do some Escrima, which is the (I believe the Filipino) style of stick fighting.  We do a small bit of knife fighting as well.  Nunchaku and bo staff are also a weekly practice.

fixed it for ya.

my background is in BJJ, muay thai and Inosanto blend.  Been doing LSAI/LESKAS for about a year now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#48]
I do, I'm shooter.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Black belt in Tae Bo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Black belt in Tae Bo.

you must have a wicked side kick!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top