Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 3:43:58 PM EDT
I heard a story today about an ultra-bright flashlight/strobe that just came out for crowd control and home defense.  Supposedly it flashes with such intensity that it completely disorients the person it is pointed at.  The person who told me this also said a weapon light version was coming soon.  It seems that it would disorient someone but sounds like a poor idea for shooting with.  I Googled it and found nothing.  Anyone have an idea or opinion?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
A strobe will only give the intruder an idea of where you are. Just buy a light so there is no guessing involved.

I'm a laser guy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The right frequency strobe can cause epileptic seizures in some people-it'd be like them tazing themselves.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I imagine a strobe would be especially effective on someone that was high or drunk.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
That gives me an idea for a home defense system ... you'd have to build it with a lot of safeguards but ...

1. detect intruder coming into your house
2. don your protective goggles
3. hit the activate button
4. emitters drop down from the ceiling all over the plase and start painting every inch of the house with super bright laser lights, the kind that can blind in a couple of seconds.
5. you walk around with your eyes protected by the goggles, the intruder goes blind and is thus much less of a threat.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I imagine a strobe would be especially effective on someone that was high or drunk.

Or give him a direction to shoot in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A strobe will only give the intruder an idea of where you are. Just buy a light so there is no guessing involved.

I'm a laser guy.

But with the strobe, he would be moving in slow motion, and easier to hit.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The right frequency strobe can cause epileptic seizures in some people-it'd be like them tazing themselves.

Those fucking seizures SUCK!!! I had one when I was playing with a strobe
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]
People come up with some crazy shit.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay, my source for this was a clerk at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Home Depot, yeah, that makes it official (used to be Depel People).

Flash back to the early 70s and a rock concert.  Flashing strobes were very dis-orienting.  

I can see how this might work.  Kind of like having a camera flash going off in your eyes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds cool but I'm sticking with an AR with a Surefire M951.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is the link.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/hammerhead-tac-strobe-flashlight-for-police-military-and-emer/
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#13]
The muzzle flash from my G34, combined with the 110 lumens from my Surefire X300 will disorient just fine, thank you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here is the link.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/hammerhead-tac-strobe-flashlight-for-police-military-and-emer/

Well, I'll be damned...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#15]
In a confined area, it will definitely disorient the other guy, but you are going to get a lot of the effect too.  the flash is going to be bouncing and reflecting a lot of things.  Outside, with a confined beam, you aren't going to get all the reflections and back bouncing.

It isn't anything I would want to bet my life on.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Waste of time.  Judicious use of a weapon-mounted light (and hand-held flashlight; get both) is just about all you need.  

At night, I always keep the interior lights on at my front and back doors and in the hallway leading to my bedroom.   If a bad guy kicks in my door and/or kills the nearby lights, I am going to find out about it real quick.  

The specific lights that he turns off or destroys will tell me where he was or where he is.  If a bad guy doesn't kill the lights, I'll be able to see him plain as day.  

In my mind, whether or not the intruder takes out the lights is a possible indicator of the intruder's motive.  If he thinks no one is here and is just here to steal things, he has no reason to kill the lights.  It helps to be able to see when stealing things.  As it is unlawful to use force to defend property in my AO, my options within the law are extremely limited in this case.  

If the bad guy is eliminating the lights, then I have an articulatable reason to believe that he knows this dwelling is occupied and that he is attempting to conceal himself for the purpose of causing personal injury to the residents of this household.  This moves me one step closer to "use necessary and appropriate force to stop the threat".    

I also have plenty of furniture and stuff piled around.  It's like a maze.  If you do not know your way around here and/or you can't see your way, you are going to be tripping over yourself like crazy.  Especially if you are under stress and trying to be fast on your feet.  I still knock into furniture from time to time just walking through the living room.  

I keep my blinds shut all the time, and I have objects on the window ledges in the house.  There are thorny, ant-infested bushes outside just below the windows.  The ants are very small, very numerous and they bite.  Getting in through the windows is not going to be comfortable, quick or quiet.  

There's lot of opportunities here for an intruder to inadvertently make noise, otherwise give away his position, get bogged down, or just plain trip and fall ass over tea kettle.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
In a confined area, it will definitely disorient the other guy, but you are going to get a lot of the effect too.  the flash is going to be bouncing and reflecting a lot of things.  Outside, with a confined beam, you aren't going to get all the reflections and back bouncing.

It isn't anything I would want to bet my life on.

I think that's the reason that I saw a monochromatic version of this device.  The police would wear goggles (which, despite the claims, do not do nozhing) that filter out the frequency they're using.

Bad guys might have goggles, but they wouldn't necessarily know what color the police were using that day...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the gladius has a "disorienting strobe" feature. The novatac line has a strobe feature too. My Fenix P2D has a strobe on it but I don't know if it was intended to disorient people.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Waste of time.  Judicious use of a weapon-mounted light (and hand-held flashlight; get both) is just about all you need.  

At night, I always keep the interior lights on at my front and back doors and in the hallway leading to my bedroom.   If a bad guy kicks in my door and/or kills the nearby lights, I am going to find out about it real quick.  

The specific lights that he turns off or destroys will tell me where he was or where he is.  If a bad guy doesn't kill the lights, I'll be able to see him plain as day.  

In my mind, whether or not the intruder takes out the lights is a possible indicator of the intruder's motive.  If he thinks no one is here and is just here to steal things, he has no reason to kill the lights.  It helps to be able to see when stealing things.  As it is unlawful to use force to defend property in my AO, my options within the law are extremely limited in this case.  

If the bad guy is eliminating the lights, then I have an articulatable reason to believe that he knows this dwelling is occupied and that he is attempting to conceal himself for the purpose of causing personal injury to the residents of this household.  This moves me one step closer to "use necessary and appropriate force to stop the threat".    

I also have plenty of furniture and stuff piled around.  It's like a maze.  If you do not know your way around here and/or you can't see your way, you are going to be tripping over yourself like crazy.  Especially if you are under stress and trying to be fast on your feet.  I still knock into furniture from time to time just walking through the living room.  

I keep my blinds shut all the time, and I have objects on the window ledges in the house.  There are thorny, ant-infested bushes outside just below the windows.  The ants are very small, very numerous and they bite.  Getting in through the windows is not going to be comfortable, quick or quiet.  

There's lot of opportunities here for an intruder to inadvertently make noise, otherwise give away his position, get bogged down, or just plain trip and fall ass over tea kettle.  

mmmm, that sounds so warm and inviting!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:55:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Maybe he meant this:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/PHASR_Rifle.jpg

www.af.mil/news/story_media.asp?storyID=123012699

Is that something from the Magpul booth at the 2009 Shot Show?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Gimmicks are cool!!

Aim for the area between the nipples and base of the throat.
Rinse, lather,repeat.

Did I mention Gimmicks are cool?

Some don't hurt the the process, some do.

If you train and practice with it, don't step outside of your training.

If you don't train and practice, you will do exactly as you have trained and practiced.

Just saying......

S-28
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Maybe he meant this:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/PHASR_Rifle.jpg

www.af.mil/news/story_media.asp?storyID=123012699

Is that something from the Magpul booth at the 2009 Shot Show?

Noob, it's the Covenant Beam Rifle
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#24]
QUOTE: As it is unlawful to use force to defend property in my AO, my options within the law are extremely limited in this case.  

In that case, be verbally abusive until he assaults you.  Then you won't just be defending property.  Words like "pussy" "fag" and anything racial will do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top