Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 7/18/2008 3:14:22 PM EDT
From what i can see you guys dress up in leotards and carry your bed mattresses on your shoulders so you dont get hurt. And whats with the helmets? Thats so you dont get hurt too right?

And how do you determine who wins? Is it which supporters crowd can eat the most hot dogs in the 6 hours of breaks in play or which team can field the most players who dont touch the ball?

Can someone school me on this please?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It is the ghey.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
The object of the game is to get into your opponent's "end zone" as many times as possible within the allotted time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It's that or wrestle around with half naked sweaty guys (rugby). You make the call.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
You play cricket. Conversation over.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The object of the game is to get into your opponent's "end zone" as many times as possible.

Its ok i think you can use 'into your opponents arse' here without a violation
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
No, you're right, American football was invented for pussies that can't play a man's sport like rugby.

But it's not like Australia's much better. I mean, come on, cricket? Do you guys just make that up as you go along?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Aren't you the same guy who just started the lame metric vs imperial thread?

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Cadel Evans! ftw!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Football stopped being football in the 1960's.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#11]
They are modern day gladiators playing the most vicious and grueling sport there is. The sheer intensity of play demands equipment to protect the players from certain death. And most coaches in the NFL could kick the collective asses of an entire rugby team, or whatever the hell pansy game you Aussies play.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You play cricket. Conversation over.

Please stay on track this thread is about ridiculous american sports that no-one else plays
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Real men play lacrosse nothing better than knocking the shit out of each other with Titanium sticks
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They are modern day gladiators playing the most vicious and grueling sport there is. The sheer intensity of play demands equipment to protect the players from certain death. And most coaches in the NFL could kick the collective asses of an entire rugby team, or whatever the hell pansy game you Aussies play.

pfft

MMA > *

(when it comes to viciousness, aggressiveness, and the ability to kick ass)
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah right
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Those are some nice cars you have, too.

Holdens- pure Australian, right?

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Go play cricket and drink your damn kangaroo beer... Football rocks just not the NFL.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Don't forget the Aussie Rock vs. American Rock.  He had the audacity to say Midnight Oil and INXS are better than The Eagles, Van Halen, Metallica, Skynard, Motley Crue, Poison etc...

I smell a rat in the woodpile.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Nah that was twin brother stirring you guys up. This is a more serious thread
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Please stay on track this thread is about ridiculous American sports that no-one else can plays

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget the Aussie Rock vs. American Rock.  He had the audacity to say Midnight Oil and INXS are better than The Eagles, Van Halen, Metallica, Skynard, Motley Crue, Poison etc...

I missed that one.  Are all his threads Aussie vs US comparisons?

Jealousy is an ugly thing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
From what i can see you guys dress up in leotards and carry your bed mattresses on your shoulders so you dont get hurt. And whats with the helmets? Thats so you dont get hurt too right?

And how do you determine who wins? Is it which supporters crowd can eat the most hot dogs in the 6 hours of breaks in play or which team can field the most players who dont touch the ball?

It's like a game of chess, with real athletes.  

Yeah, I've always admired you aussie and brit types who could play rugbee with no pads, but you see, we have specially bread players who weigh 220 lbs and run a 40 yard dash in under 4.5 seconds.  The collisions are unbelievably violent.  Hence, armour.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Real men play lacrosse nothing better than knocking the shit out of each other with Titanium sticks

Bullshit.  It was meant to be played with wooden sticks.
<<<<Former Defenseman and purveyor of asswhuppins
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets keep it on track and not mention AC/DC being the greatest rock band in the world please. This is about helmet ball
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Um,
calling football gay.

have you seen the shorts aussies wear as they punch their balls back and forth?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pfft

MMA > *

Explain what part of what goes on in the MMA could not be construed as part of some intricate homoerotic courtship ritual.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Those are some nice cars you have, too.

Holdens- pure Australian, right?

Not sure about pure but you dont need a helmet to drive one either
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Wow, I have not done this more than a few dozen times or so, but, I am gonna call my congresswoman and ask her to introduce a declaration of war against your homeland for that crazy talk

Tell me though, which Aussi sporting event is watched by billions of people around the globe, like my beloved pussy Superbowl
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It is the ghey.

+1

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#30]

This is rugby, is it not?

Looks mighty muddy and GAY.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quarterback like to advance toward "tightends" so they can penetrate into the endzone.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, I have not done this more than a few dozen times or so, but, I am gonna call my congresswoman and ask her to introduce a declaration of war against your homeland for that crazy talk

Tell me though, which Aussi sporting event is watched by billions of people around the globe, like my beloved pussy Superbowl

Rugby is played in 30 countries and you still think american football has more following

I suppose the 'world series' baseball actually includes the whole world
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pfft

MMA > *

Without US scoring system it's turning more into a points game like boxing unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

pfft

MMA > *

Explain what part of what goes on in the MMA could not be construed as part of some intricate homoerotic courtship ritual.

Sorry, I don't have closet gay tendencies that cause me to search for homoerotic signs in everything.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/DVR9/01020124045800.jpg

This is rugby, is it not?

Looks mighty muddy and GAY.

Thats a fucking Aussi wedding is it not
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#36]
School me on this gay country called Australia with mad firearms restrictions and f*#@ing marsupials
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's like a game of chess, with real athletes.  

Yeah, I've always admired you aussie and brit types who could play rugbee with no pads, but you see, we have specially bread players who weigh 220 lbs and run a 40 yard dash in under 4.5 seconds.  The collisions are unbelievably violent.  Hence, armour.

Most of your players are fat bastards who couldnt handle more than 10 seconds of physical excersise without dropping dead from exhaustion. Thats why you have to stop the game every ten seconds so they fill up on hot dogs
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rugby is played in 30 countries and you still think american football has more following

So, when can I catch the rugby world championship on tv, and how much will they charge for commercials

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey how about all those Semi Autos you had to turn in?  Don't ya miss them?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#40]
American football exists so that we Americans have something to gripe about on Monday mornings that is not related to politics.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
School me on this gay country called Australia with mad firearms restrictions and f*#@ing marsupials

It might be a bit hard if you cant even grasp the concept of what 'football' is
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It might be a bit hard if you cant even grasp the concept of what 'football' is

Little men running around in short shorts kicking a spotted ball, and showing colorful cards to each other?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#43]
*Sigh* Another foreigner who hasn't even played the sport, I bet.

I've played high school ball and I can tell you--- it's painful. Anyone who says it isn't is a liar. I played Linebacker and Safety and I loved every minute of it. I miss it too. Playing college intramurals is hardly the same...

The reason we wear pads is because we tackle the shit out of each other. The padding also serves as a facade of safety so you hit even harder. Either way, you're hurting.

My buddy who is an Irish Aussie from the Philippines (I know, mind boggling) and plays rugby here in the states and hopes to transfer to an Australian university to play there. He's a tough guy and he's been playing rugby his whole life. He loves football too. He played ball with me back in high school... and he quit half way through the season. He didn't suck. He said he lost the heart for it and had no regrets admitting it hurt more than rugby. He played Offensive Line. He's tough as balls and wrestles too. Hope that gives you an insight into how REAL American ball is played.

EDIT: Just so you know, I highly respect rugby and the balls it takes to play. I've never played rugby. The closest I've done is real American football and backyard tackle football (no pads). If you want to know how serious we Yanks take American ball her in the states, especially in Texas, I suggest watching "Friday Night Lights."
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, when can I catch the rugby world championship on tv, and how much will they charge for commercials

300 million americans will always demand a higher price for commercials because you guys swill coca-cola like no-ones business but your viewing audience wouldnt even 10% of the soccer world cup or the 30% of the rugby world cup.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Actually, American children usually play football without pads and helmets. That’s because prepubescent children aren’t strong enough to really hurt each other when playing football… This is also why rugby players don’t wear pads or helmets.

However, when you are dealing with men that can bench press well over 450 pounds, (that’s about 205 kilograms of mass, or in your national units of weight, 3 kangaroos) squat 600 pounds, (273kg or 1/2 a grown croc.) and run the 40 in 4.3, (36.6 meters in 0.8 Fosters) you have to wear some armor.

The winner is the team that scores the most points. This is different than rugby where the winner is the one that manages to feel up the most guys during the game.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#46]
You people eat Vegemite, but you gave us AC/DC so, I guess it balances out. Just to be clear,  it isn't "American football" it's just plain Football. Lesser men play soccer. Inmates at the asylum play Australian rules football.

Best pick I could find of this maniac.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
or in your national units of weight, 3 kangaroos

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

+1. Thats why I played all 4 years of high school. (played defense ofcourse)

ETA: Oh and IBTL.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Actually, American children usually play football without pads and helmets. That’s because prepubescent children aren’t strong enough to really hurt each other when playing football… This is also why rugby players don’t wear pads or helmets.

However, when you are dealing with men that can bench press well over 450 pounds, (that’s about 205 kilograms of mass, or in your national units of weight, 3 kangaroos) squat 600 pounds, (273kg or 1/2 a grown croc.) and run the 40 in 4.3, (36.6 meters in 0.8 Fosters) you have to wear some armor.

The winner is the team that scores the most points. This is different than rugby where the winner is the one that manages to feel up the most guys during the game.

Hope that helps.

And the fat guys wear helmets to protect their mouths because they do 25 hotdogs a minute

Most of the big guys have fat rolls like the michelin man
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. Thats why I played all 4 years of high school. (played defense ofcourse)

Lacrosse is too much running and no enough hitting for me.

I love LAX, don't get me wrong. One of my roommies plays for our university and I always go watch him play.

But running around is not my cup of tea. When I switched from Linebacker to play Safety back in high school (didn't gain as much weight)... a little part of me died. There's nothing like hitting every single play.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top