Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/18/2008 9:43:50 AM EDT
We are in the process of buying land and having a new house built. Spending more money than we need to because it's just us, no kids. I'm very stressed out right now.

Anyway, she is also planning a cruise for the fall. I took a weeks vacation in Oct and 2 in Nov. Last year we went on a cruise and it just happened to coincide with her 'time of the month'.

She has 3 weeks to choose from so she wants to be sure the same thing doesn't happen again. Last month she marked it on the calendar and did the math to see when it should start those months. Anyway it was due to start this week. Everyday she has told me it hasn't yet. I blew it off and said it will fluctuate.

So I'm at home talking to a friend on the phone and he's telling me how he only slept 2 hours last night because of his new born. I'm thinking how bad that must suck. I'm also wondering what my wife is doing on her lunch because she hasn't called or responded to my text.

As my friend is talking my phone beeps that I'm getting a text from my wife. I hit open and this is what I get:
"Your going to be a daddy".

I freak for half an hour calling her phone and sending text messages. She finally calls back laughing and says she was just joking, her thing started today.

I don't think that is at all a funny joke to play on someone, especially at this time in our life. Sorry, I had to tell someone.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Uh....OK

Maybe she was trying to feel you out to see how you would feel if it were true....In that case FAIL on you.

Or maybe it was just a bad choice of jokes....In that case FAIL on her
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#2]
not really cool to make you wait 1/2 hr before telling you, but don't be too mad.  she was probably just trying to get a laugh out of you with everything going on.  I've joked with my wife about stuff she didn't find nearly as funny as I did, it happens.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Well it is now time to return the favor Tell her you are relieved your girlfriend just said the same thing
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Ya have to relax.  I get worse than that from my co-workers.

With my wife I would expect something like that, and she would be expecting a joke in return.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Not funny.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Not funny at all. I would be pissed beyond belief.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#7]
You obviously don't want to be a Dad, do you?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Where there's smoke, there's fire.  You'd better sit down and start talking about it because women don't joke about things like that.  It's serious business.  Oh, and it can be more fun than a barrel of monkeys if you let it.  I wouldn't trade it for anything even though I have worries every day.

J.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Never trust a creature that can bleed for five days and doesn't die
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Not cool...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#11]
You should obviously sue
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well it is now time to return the favor Tell her you are relieved your girlfriend just said the same thing

^^^^^^This
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey,

Did she really spell it "Your" instead of "You're"?

If so...

Kevin ""
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well it is now time to return the favor Tell her you are relieved your girlfriend her sister just said the same thing

^^^^^^This
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#15]
When she said that you should have responded: "Oh ... you better call your mom."
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe she is pregnant and you scared her by freaking on her
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Lighten up already Francis!  You're gonna blow a gasket.

Listen carefully...she is TESTING you to see how you will take being a dad.  This is a ton more important to her than it may be to you.  Better just get used to it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Install a game camera with a flash in the bathroom after she goes to sleep.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#19]
That is pretty funny, I chuckled a bit
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#20]
That's not funny. Not funny in the least. Whether you want a kid or not, are expecting one or not, that is a major emotional kick to the balls and she needs to be made to understand that.

That'd be like pretending to be having an affair and then saying "just kidding", or asking someone to marry you and then saying "just kidding".
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh hell chill out.  I take it ya'll are young and this may be her way of feeling you out.  Don't get pissed just laugh it off and tell her right now would be a difficult thing to handle with what is in your life now.  When and if the time comes, fatherhood is not such a bad thing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#22]
That was a very sinister bit of manipulation on her part.

From now on YOU have to take 100% responsiblity for birth control.

Do NOT believe her if she tells you she is taking the pill, or if she is doing other precautions.

She is testing you to find out your reaction to an unplanned pregnancy.

There's nothing funny about it.  What she did to you was very, very cruel.

Do NOT trust that woman, especially when it comes to birth control.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well it is now time to return the favor Tell her you are relieved your girlfriend her sister just said the same thing

^^^^^^This

Oh snap!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I certainly know the feeling, the stress that is.  My wife never played any kind of joke on me.  But you must at least feel relieved now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#25]
You really thought your wife would tell you she's pregnant in a text message?  LOL
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That was a very sinister bit of manipulation on her part.

From now on YOU have to take 100% responsiblity for birth control.

Do NOT believe her if she tells you she is taking the pill, or if she is doing other precautions.

She is testing you to find out your reaction to an unplanned pregnancy.

There's nothing funny about it.  What she did to you was very, very cruel.

Do NOT trust that woman, especially when it comes to birth control.

+1,000,000,000
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#27]
sounds like you're married to a girl, not a woman.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^^^^This

Or better yet, THIS (hope it's still active)

Not a perfect match, but it's a hoot.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Tell her you cant go on the tripor buy the land because a divorce took all your money
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I know this will sound crazy to a lot of people but I would seriously consider pulling the plug.  And I've been divorced and know how serious it is and how much it sucks.

Either that or I'd be wearing condoms with her until we were BOTH ok with having a kid or freezing a few vials of sperm and getting snipped.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Lets see..

Building a new home, obviously financially secure..  Wife is feeling maternal and is tying to feel you out.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
As my friend is talking my phone beeps that I'm getting a text from my wife. I hit open and this is what I get:

I freak for half an hour calling her phone and sending text messages. She finally calls back laughing and says she was just joking, her thing started today.

I don't think that is at all a funny joke to play on someone, especially at this time in our life. Sorry, I had to tell someone.

You should have asked if it was your's.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Option 1

Option 2

Make sure you personally, firsthand, witness it.  Every time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
We are in the process of buying land and having a new house built. Spending more money than we need to because it's just us, no kids. I'm very stressed out right now.

Anyway, she is also planning a cruise for the fall. I took a weeks vacation in Oct and 2 in Nov. Last year we went on a cruise and it just happened to coincide with her 'time of the month'.

She has 3 weeks to choose from so she wants to be sure the same thing doesn't happen again. Last month she marked it on the calendar and did the math to see when it should start those months. Anyway it was due to start this week. Everyday she has told me it hasn't yet. I blew it off and said it will fluctuate.

So I'm at home talking to a friend on the phone and he's telling me how he only slept 2 hours last night because of his new born. I'm thinking how bad that must suck. I'm also wondering what my wife is doing on her lunch because she hasn't called or responded to my text.

Lighten up, it's your wife. She can play mean jokes on you

ETA: now you get full reign to play a mean joke on her
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Ex-GF did that to me.  I almost crapped my heart out.  Not the right time or girl for that to happen.  Best of luck to you...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^^^^This

Or better yet, THIS (hope it's still active)

Not a perfect match, but it's a hoot.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I know this will sound crazy to a lot of people but I would seriously consider pulling the plug.  And I've been divorced and know how serious it is and how much it sucks.

Either that or I'd be wearing condoms with her until we were BOTH ok with having a kid or freezing a few vials of sperm and getting snipped.

Doesn't sound crazy at all to me.

What that woman did is on the same level as telling her husband that his banker called and all of his accounts were zeroed out, plus he was indebted for the next 18 years -- with NO way out.

NOT a joking matter.

Evil.

To lie to one's spouse like that and try to play it off as a joke.

NEVER trust that woman in any way, shape, or form for the rest of your days.

Do NOT trust her with your sperm.  Do NOT trust her with your money.

Do NOT trust her, period.

And especially do NOT trust her ABOUT her period.

BAD juju here.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#38]

I think it is funny.

Oh yea, now you look like an asshole on top of it.  You should be happy you are/were expecting....
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#39]
In on page 2. You should get some sperm removed, and sent to a sperm bank, and then neutered.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I just IMed my wife that the branch is closing, I have two weeks to transfer my jobs to the main office.

We ROFLed!

Seriously, best case is she was messing with your affinity for cruise-pie.  Worst case, see above.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Wow

This same scenario happen to a co worker yesterday. He got a txt while we were on lunch and his face went white. I asked him what happened and he showed me the txt.

She wasn't joking she's 3or 4 weeks along  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't sound crazy at all to me.

What that woman did is on the same level as telling her husband that his banker called and all of his accounts were zeroed out, plus he was indebted for the next 18 years -- with NO way out.

NOT a joking matter.

Evil.

To lie to one's spouse like that and try to play it off as a joke.

NEVER trust that woman in any way, shape, or form for the rest of your days.

Do NOT trust her with your sperm.  Do NOT trust her with your money.

Do NOT trust her, period.

And especially do NOT trust her ABOUT her period.

BAD juju here.

Wow, this story hit a nerve with you.  It's tough to judge over the internet the type of relationship the OP has with his wife.  He didn't sound as pissed as you.  Maybe they play practical jokes on each other a lot.  Also, it's unclear whether the OP never wants children or just doesn't want them now.  

Finally, the OP has a damn screw loose for buildng a new house in the midwest in the current real estate climate.  There are more "for sale" signs than you can shake a stick at and you're building a new home?  That's a huge mistake financially.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

<snip>

Seems like somebody's headed for an early coronary. So what would you have done had it not been a joke? You think you're stressing now, holy cow! Imagine having more money than you should tied up in a house only to find out you've got another mouth to feed. You'd probably drop dead the way you're reacting.

Some people have no sense of humor. Maybe you and psyops4fun can share a room at the hospital. Seems like you're both wound a little too tight.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Thats shitty. You should text her and say the doctor just called you back and said you have aids.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Do not trust her w/ anything & get your own atty.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#46]
So play a joke back on her.

Have a friend call her one night about 45 minutes after you were supposed to be home. Have him idendify himself as a police officer and that he's informing her that you've been in a very serious car accident and that you're being transported to a hospital.

She'll ask which one and he can say he doesn't know yet but will call her back when he finds out. Call her back in about a half our and say,  'Ha ha, just kidding. It's a joke.'

I consider both situations to be about equal.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Have a friend call her one night about 45 minutes after you were supposed to be home. Have him idendify himself as a police officer and that he's informing her that you've been in a very serious car accident and that you're being transported to a hospital.

She'll ask which one and he can say he doesn't know yet but will call her back when he finds out. Call her back in about a half our and say,  'Ha ha, just kidding. It's a joke.'

Don't like getting laid, do you?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Maybe you should text her and tell her you have a girlfriend on the side who said the same thing??  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#49]
There's a lot more going on here.

She may really be pregnant.   His half hour of text messages, voice mails and general "holy fuck" freak out may make him a victim of an abortion he doesn't know about.

Her repeated comments the last several days are indeed, as someone says, feeling out his response for an unplanned pregnancy.   But taking it so far as to send a text?  

I wonder if she didn't wind up preggo and, knowing he would lose his shit, put that last test out there before scheduling a D&C.

To the OP:   Didn't you and your wife talk about children before you got married?

Because it is plain you are on the wrong page, or I should say, different pages from each other.

The scenario I describe actually happened to a good friend of mine.   The abortion destroyed her as she could never live with herself, and when he found out, he knew he had a major role in it.    Their divorce was in trouble, but about a year later, after they had counseling and had gotten back on track, his wife was killed in a car accident.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't like getting laid, do you?

At any cost? No.

Besides, if that's the kind of humor she has, then she should appreciate it. If she doesn't, then she begins to understand what her joke meant to him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top