Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/16/2008 5:17:58 AM EDT
I was at the local gun store here in Baltimore, MD. I stopped in to get some ammo and asked the guy behind the counter if he had anything in Lake City. Well, he sais "Lake city has shut down years ago, they sold out to the Chineese and now all military SS109 is made in china"

Long pause...............

I said, well, I have some at home with an 06 stamp on it.
Anyway, I know we bought some bullets from them, but what the hell is this guy talking about?

Everytime I walk in there its another storry,
Last time it was the"better buy all the ammo you can cuz O'Malley is gonna help pass a $5 a round ammo tax" (well I explained that it was a 5 cent tax they were propossing, he insisted, so I went home and printed it out for him, he didnt want to look at it)
Where do these guys come from?
Thats what I wanna know.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to stop in at the legendary Jim's Guns in Dayton, OH.  You couldn't ask him a question unless you were willing to listen for an hour or three.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:37:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I used to stop in at the legendary Jim's Guns in Dayton, OH.  You couldn't ask him a question unless you were willing to listen for an hour or three.

Yeah, he's in jail, he was doing alot of shady deals.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]
These gun store threads are some of my favorites.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:39:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Most gun store tales I have heard involve at least one staffer who works "part time" as a Navy Seal, Green Beret, CIA, contract-killer, Airborne Ranger, Recon Marine merchant of death for the FBI and FCC.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Jim's Guns......Never stopped unless I had at least  8 hours to listen to a one man monologue about who would win in the epic Klingon vs Storm Tropped battle once Star Trek and Star Wars united.....

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:45:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a guy tell me last year before shot show that Magpul was just a passing fad and that they where just a small shop that no one will care about in a few years.  

This was AFTER the massada was announced (before the ACR was announced).  I just looked at him like
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Ah jeez, our guy is bad. There is always that ONE guy isn't there? The main guy at the range/shop, owner perhaps, is really nice and very knowledgeable. He only tells you what you need to know. He also teaches the CHL class. I had a revolver transferred over and I had only interacted with the owner so I prayed he was working when I went to pick it up yesterday. He called me in the morning to tell me it had arrived. NOPE, he had JUST stepped out, SONOFA.... The eccentric guy was in the middle of telling one of his tall tales, this one was about smoking a real cuban cigar with a real cuban woman, oh my, please continue. Anyway after I listed to his round of BS, I inquire as to whether the owner is here. And immediately he goes, he's not the only one who can help you ya know. So I tell him that my gun is there and that I want to fill out the paper work on it. Doofus goes, well let me see if its here. I told him that David called me to say it arrived, that is why I wanted to talk to him. Luckily there is a 3rd guy there who is as knowledgeable as rotten fruit, but he's quiet. He did the paperwork for me and after all is said and done and I'm ready for the range, the owner comes in. Damn my timing sux. Anyway, I wish they would put a sock in the ONE guy who won't STFU in the gun store.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't engage in conversation with FFL dealers. I go in get what I need keep my mouth shut and leave. Its better that way.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't get any tall tales at the store here, you're lucky to get acknowledged that you're even in the store.  Although there is a shop run by some really nice people about 20 minutes from here, they don't have the biggest selection but I give them my business whenever I can.  They have a nice stash of Lake City M2 ammo on Garand clips I've been gradually trying to clean them out of.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't engage in conversation with FFL dealers. I go in get what I need keep my mouth shut and leave. Its better that way.

My trip to the shop here usually goes:

1.  think "well, I haven't been there for a long time, I'll just go see what they have".
2.  get ignored by staff, get dirty looks from the 5 guys always standing around drinking coffee and leaning on the display cases talking about something funny from deer camp from 1979.
3.  not see what I want, or see what I want at a price about 50% higher than what I could go home and order online (last thing was 100 rounds of Greek M2 ammo for $99, ordered 240 rounds of identical ammo from CMP for $75/shipped).
4.  get more dirty looks upon leaving, presumably for not buying anything.
5.  get annoyed that I wasted my time and should have known better.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been holding onto this one for a about a month now. Was originally going to start a post, BUT due to the absolute stupidity of most of the local gun shops I waited, because they usually do something to make someone post ther STUPIDITY.

I go into the local redneck idiot next door neighbor gun shop. Looking around for a glock 34 and the guy asks me " Can I help you".

I say "Looking for a glock 34".

"We dont have a 34 we've got a 36 its just the same only better its 45." He says.

Im now thinking OH hell here we go. I say "No thanks and then say what kind of AK is that"

This is what he said word for word I shit you not. "Oh tats one dem CIA AK-47's but we only have 2 left and you had bet be gettin you one because ain't nobody making them anymore they are stopping making on them nobody wants to get stuck with guns they cant sell"

Me "What everybodys selling guns right now."

"No son they aint they are giving it up because of that muslim N*@*#*@. Even bushmaster and colt are stopping making them."

"Every place ive been has ar and ak's and all kinds of pistols" I said

"NO son your wrong your wrong they ain't gonna have them in 2 or 3 months nobody will be selling these things 2 months from now."  Ok OK this guys a ass hat I know but still.

By now I wanted out and said "Well have a nice day and good luck selling those rifles." and I left.

The way I see it everytime I go into a mom and pop small or new gun shop it seems to get worse here at the local level.  Everybodys a dumb ass and everybody has some kinda scam going on. Police Dept. trade in Glock 22's for $559.00 because they have a depts. name on them. The gun shows have always been a pile of bat guano with a lot of .

ANYTHING a gun shop says is 99 percent Bovine scatology.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#13]

me too, keep 'em coming!

Jim's Guns......Never stopped unless I had at least 8 hours to listen to a one man monologue about who would win in the epic Klingon vs Storm Tropped battle once Star Trek and Star Wars united.....

Somebody needs to start an epic thread on that.

Most gun store tales I have heard involve at least one staffer who works "part time" as a Navy Seal, Green Beret, CIA, contract-killer, Airborne Ranger, Recon Marine merchant of death for the FBI and FCC.

Holy crap! I didn't know the FCC had those kind of guys!  If I suddenly disappear, you'll know what hap...
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I work at a retail store that sells guns. I hope that I'm not one of the assholes. But, I could start a thread on some of you(not most) customers.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I work at a retail store that sells guns. I hope that I'm not one of the assholes. But, I could start a thread on some of you(not most) customers.

good point
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I was at the local gun store here in Baltimore, MD ...

What store?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Holy shit! not the FCC. Those guys make the Nazis look like amateurs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, he's in jail, he was doing alot of shady deals.

I thought he just got his license revoked.  Details?  I filled out 4473's that got called in both times I bought a gun there...
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

But I just wanted a Deagle wif da beamz
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Geez... I guess my local store is a diamond in the rough. Never any bullshit hero stories and never any bullshit about guns or ammo. I'll admit his prices are a bit higher than surrounding stores (Most of which are not fit to have FFL's, IMNSHO!), but I give him my business when I can.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I do not go to gun stores to buy anything. Found a kitchen table FFL down the street from me and he will do $10 transfers from anywhere I want to order. The only time I go to a gunstore is to handle a new gun I may be thinking of purchasing. I look it over, set it down, thank them for their time and have no trouble walking out in the middle of a B.S story.

There are plenty of other people (idiots) out there willing to pay a 30% mark up on guns and ammo from a brick and mortar store while hearing about the 400lb shop keepers latest Tom Clancy style adventure.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#22]
The Mosin-Nagant M44 was used by the Russians to destroy tanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The Mosin-Nagant M44 was used by the Russians to destroy tanks.

Yeah, we know that.

What "tall tales" have you heard?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I was told by a local gun store that if I were to buy a handgun in a caliber under .38/357, and used it in home defense, I could be charged with a crime.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#25]
yeah, we had a real "gem" come in the store the other day. started talkin bout his time in Nam. he asked me :"Ever heard of Carlos Hathcock."

Me: "Um, yeah"

Customer: Yup, we just let him take all the credit, it was me and two other guys that did all the killin in 'Nam.

Me: "Oh, right, so what kind of powder do you need to go with the .458's?"

he also proceeded to tell me he is married to a Kennedy.

folks like that can be entertaining in small doses
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#26]
When i was at the local sporting goods/outdoor place in tallahassee, this guy who is supposedly ex .mil works there and i over heard him talking and crap and some how we got on the subject of AR's and he goes to talking about how you can "file downt he trigger spring" and it will be fully automatic, then he proceeds to tell me, if you want three round burst just tie the hammer back with a cable slightly and file down the firing pin and she'll fire burst's. Then he starts talking about how the barrel is threaded for a flash hider and it would take a "silencer" if you could find one, and i said i could find one easily, then he goes "no you cant they are illegal no civilians can own stuff like that". Then i ask him about his .mil career out of pure curiosity just for the hell of it and he said these exact words "well when i got out of prison i went straight to the special forces"

I felt 5000 times dumber when i left that store. Funny none the less.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I was at the local gun store here in Baltimore, MD. I stopped in to get some ammo and asked the guy behind the counter if he had anything in Lake City. Well, he sais "Lake city has shut down years ago, they sold out to the Chineese and now all military SS109 is made in china"

Anyway, I know we bought some bullets from them, but what the hell is this guy talking about?

Last time it was the"better buy all the ammo you can cuz O'Malley is gonna help pass a $5 a round ammo tax" (well I explained that it was a 5 cent tax they were propossing, he insisted, so I went home and printed it out for him, he didnt want to look at it)
Thats what I wanna know.

You should be going to Gun Connection.  Also, check out www.mdshooters.com
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm not at the store to BS, I know what I want, I know how much I've got to spend.
Any story's met with "Yeap" "Oh really?" or "I saw that on the internet "

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Thats what I wanna know.

When shops are competing against online sales, they have to keep their costs  down. That usually means paying their employees crap, and that get you crap employees. What happens is they end up hiring the gun shop groupie wannabe gun nut customer who read too many books and  who is willing to work for beans just so he can be in a  gun shop.

My boss kept hiring guys like that and I kept firing em. We had a few who knew their stuff and were paid well, made good commission and were not BSers. BUT there was always one tard. Always.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I was told by a local gun store that if I were to buy a handgun in a caliber under .38/357, and used it in home defense, I could be charged with a crime.

that's much better than them telling you a .22LR is the perfect defensive round because it gets inside and rattles around... i'd rate this "plausible"... in some states if you simply "wounded" an attacker, you could probably be prosecuted for using lethal force where it wasn't required... i've heard stranger from states like NJ... people suing homeowners for cutting themselves on the window glass they broke or suing for breaking their leg after jumping off the roof with stolen goods...

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I was told that there are no ARs in 308 that are safe to fire.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Gunshop employee said Wolf ammo is dangerous and explodes on people all the time.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#33]
There are kuckleheads on both sides of the counter, at gunshops and gunshows.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
This is what he said word for word I shit you not. "Oh tats one dem CIA AK-47's but we only have 2 left and you had bet be gettin you one because ain't nobody making them anymore they are stopping making on them nobody wants to get stuck with guns they cant sell"

We have (had?) a local dealer here who labeled his Century FAL clones "made for the CIA".  CIA obviously being a reference to Century International (Arms), but my guess was that he was looking to find someone who believed that these were actually guns used by the Central Intelligence Agency.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#35]

"Oh tats one dem CIA AK-47's but we only have 2 left and you had bet be gettin you one because ain't nobody making them anymore they are stopping making on them nobody wants to get stuck with guns they cant sell"

You know, I did hear somewhere where Century was not importing anymore of the M70 Kits to build.  Meaning no more decent Yugo's at a halfway decent price..... but again, that is just hearsay.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#36]
My contribution...

I was at home having a nice day when one of my friends that works at a gun shop calls me up and says they have a new employee that I have to come up and meet.

i show up and there is this guy that is about 5'6'' and weighs atleast 300 lbs...

I look and he is wearing a hat with a budwieser on it (SEAL trident).  Im thinking.. "ohh jeezzuz"..
So then he starts talking to a customer ... about when he was with the teams....

Of coruse he says... "I was with SEAL team 6...."  this is 2006, BTW....

Im kinda loitering around the Mil Surplus rifles looking at a few SKS's just waiting to hear what this guys is going to say.. then he tells his starry eyed victim (aka customer) about the 20 HALO's he completed....   So i walk up and wait to ask him a question....

he starts talking to me and the other vic about his SEAL team days.. i ask how old. .he says 25... claims he got out last year...   (hmm.. that is a lot o weight to put on in one year but i am trying to be nice at this point, I mean, i have some extra weight myself) ..... So then I ask to see one of his Rock River Entery Tacs.. he grabs it up... and hands it to me.. .and I play the dumb card.... "how do you charge it" .. he picks it up and looks at ti with a dumb look and says.. hmm this is different than the one they issued me in the SEALs... so I say.. ohh yeah?  is that because yours was a colt?  .. he replies.. "yeah.. that is why.. duh i knew that".... so then i say.. well they have a colt M4 grab it... i have always wanted to see one.. can  you show me how to field strip it.. he looks at it again.. .like he is clueless... truns it over and says.. ohh.. this is an old one.. i thnk you have to have a key to unlock it or something.. see it  has a "key Hole" on the rail.... meaning there is a lock somwhere..."  at this point i walked away and laughed.. the owner came out and spoke with me about a gun I had on consignment..... THE M4 HE TOOK OFF THE SHELF.. i broke it down... pulled the BCG/CH and turned and looked at him and said.. hmm.. easy enough... needless to say.... the guy doesnt work there anymore.....

(no I wasnt a SEAL.... just a guy who talks way to much.. which is why they called me)... LOL as you can see from above post....

ill shut up now...
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what I wanna know.

I've bought a few guns from there in past months, but they too, are not immune from bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what I wanna know.

I've bout a few guns from there in past months, but they too, are not immune from bullshit.

Interesting, I haven't had problems.  Care to share?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Frankly I think the employees probably hear better stuff. Like many of you if someone starts bullshitting me I'll let them know that I know that they are full of it.

I refuse to stand somewhere and let someone think I am a dumbass and believe what they are saying.

Are you sure its not true about the 308 ARs?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#40]
A friend of mine was discussing 7.62/.308 rifles at a shop a couple years ago. The AK platform was mentioned and he was told that there has never been and never will be a rifle based on the AK that fires .308.
He went out to the car and brought in his VEPR. Owner shut up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1  I love 'em  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
A friend of mine was discussing 7.62/.308 rifles at a shop a couple years ago. The AK platform was mentioned and he was told that there has never been and never will be a rifle based on the AK that fires .308.
He went out to the car and brought in his VEPR. Owner shut up.

haha.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Try working the other side of the counter for 10 years

the sniper/delta/toothfairy stories get real old real fast

everything you guys have posted I have heard from the other side of the counter

*short version*
Best one I can remember was some  old guy relating a tale to me about when he was doing CIA stuff in south America he was wounded and floated down a river for a few days till a lost tribe found him
they made him their god

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#44]
My favorite was a guy ( total fudd) said his grandfather had a Russian Glock custom made only like 3 were made 1 for grandpa, 1 for the owner of Glock (comrade Gaston??) and one for a museum.

I was laughing so hard at that one.The guy looked at me with the evil eye, counter guy agreed with the guy said he has heard of them, and wished he had one too. I just kept to myself, but I really wanted to lay into this fudd. One more tale was a young black kid in his early 20s said that he had a Cali AK47 made in CA it was  rare, because after WWII the russians were not allowed to make AK47s in Cali anymore
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I sure am lucky.  My local gun shop, Superior Shooters Supply, Superior, WI, has none of that BS going on.  Their people know the products, prices are usually less than the local Gander Mt and any info you get there is usually good as gold.  

But I have over heard some wild stories from customers in there.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I just got one where a young fudd said he could shoot flies off a post at 600 yards, ith a scope, standing...with a stock Ruger 10/22. Did it all the time. I said WOW, you are a really good shot. The counter guy was eyeing me and smiling  and I said what is the hold over on 600 yards. He says "Nothing I just put the crosshairs on and it will shoot it no matter the range. What a dumb ASS, I told him so as well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#47]
At Mid America Arms, there isnt any of that BS anyway.  At least not from the workers.  They are pretty much the perfect gun store, and are right down the street from my house in MO.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Gun stores make my brain itch.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Try working the other side of the counter for 10 years

the sniper/delta/toothfairy stories get real old real fast

everything you guys have posted I have heard from the other side of the counter

*short version*
Best one I can remember was some  old guy relating a tale to me about when he was doing CIA stuff in south America he was wounded and floated down a river for a few days till a lost tribe found him
they made him their god

Man you aren't kidding. For every one dipstick gunshop employee, there are 10 customers as bad or worse coming in daily. Some hang out and loiter most of the day.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I sure am lucky.  My local gun shop, Superior Shooters Supply, Superior, WI, has none of that BS going on.  Their people know the products, prices are usually less than the local Gander Mt and any info you get there is usually good as gold.  

But I have over heard some wild stories from customers in there.

Hey, I've been there!  I like that store.  No pressure sales people
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top