Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/14/2008 5:13:16 PM EDT
I just saw his alternative energy commercial. Is he going to be a third party candidate for POTUS?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
No he is promoting alternative technologies that he surely has a lot of money invested in.  I'm not sure what type of person is worse:

Al Gore who wants legislation that will force people to make him rich.
or
Pickens who wants you to believe he wants to solve the energy crisis yet only cares about his next billion.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No he is promoting alternative technologies that he surely has a lot of money invested in.  I'm not sure what type of person is worse:

or
Pickens who wants you to believe he wants to solve the energy crisis yet only cares about his next billion.

Pickens and employees of his BP Capital LLC donated $7 million to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. The Chronicle of Philanthropy lists Pickens as among its largest charitable givers 2005 and 2006. He has donated nearly a half a billion dollars to philanthropic causes during his career.

On May 16, 2007, Pickens donated $100 million to two University of Texas health care institutions. The gifts were donated to the UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. The donations are required to grow to $1 billion within twenty-five years before they can be disbursed by the recipient institutions.

On August 23, 2007, Bizjournals.com reported that Pickens is donating $2.5 million to Happy Hill Farm Academy/Home, a residential school for at-risk children and teenagers, to build a training center and guest lodge. Pickens donated $1 million to Happy Hill Farm for the construction of a new academic campus at the residential school in February 2007.[28]

On December 5, 2007 the Dallas Business Journal reported that Pickens had donated $6 million to Jubilee Park located at S. Carroll Avenue and Lindsley/Parry Avenue in Dallas and would man a bulldozer to begin demolition of an abandoned building across the street from a kindergarten Head Start program in Jubilee Park.[29]

Selfish bastard...
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
He's a man with a huge amount of money invested in 'green energy' and natural gas, trying to get the American people to force government to make him richer...

It's all a scam...
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
He's a man with a huge amount of money invested in 'green energy' and natural gas, trying to get the American people to force government to make him richer...

It's all a scam...

It's too hard for people to figure out.

Al Gore tried and lost.  Maybe Pickens will have better success.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The bottom line of T. Boone Pickens TV ad is simply this:

Not only does Pickens’ firm, BP capital, have significant investments in natural gas, but last June he announced plans to build the world’s largest wind farm in west Texas, capable of producing 4,000 megawatts of electricity.

The federal government subsidizes wind farm operators with a tax credit worth 1.9 cents per kilowatt hour — potentially making for a tidy annual taxpayer gift to Pickens based on his anticipated capacity. But all is not well in Wind Subsidy-land.

Since Congress didn’t renew the wind subsidy as part of the 2007 energy bill, it will expire at the end of this year unless reauthorized. Subsidies are perhaps more important to the wind industry than wind itself. Without them, wind can’t compete against fossil fuel-generated power.  

Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens launched a media blitz this week to announce his plan for us "to escape the grip of foreign oil." Now he’s got himself stuck between a crock and a wind farm.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll buy into using natural gas to fire power plants, although I don't know exactly how efficent it is, and building more nuclear power plants. Wind and Solar are adjunct sources of energy at best, but I suppose every little bit helps.

I gotta believe that domestic production of the 'O' word is the best short term soulution to energy independence....but I'm just in the oil biz....I don't profess myself an 'Oilman' like Boone does.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

or

Pickens needs to make a movie if he wants to make a move to Gore's level of extortion by guilt.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
He has investments in certain things and wants to increase the value of those investments.

Pickens is a tool.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The man has a solution and is building it.  Good for him.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

or

Pickens and employees of his BP Capital LLC donated $7 million to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. The Chronicle of Philanthropy lists Pickens as among its largest charitable givers 2005 and 2006. He has donated nearly a half a billion dollars to philanthropic causes during his career.

On May 16, 2007, Pickens donated $100 million to two University of Texas health care institutions. The gifts were donated to the UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. The donations are required to grow to $1 billion within twenty-five years before they can be disbursed by the recipient institutions.

On August 23, 2007, Bizjournals.com reported that Pickens is donating $2.5 million to Happy Hill Farm Academy/Home, a residential school for at-risk children and teenagers, to build a training center and guest lodge. Pickens donated $1 million to Happy Hill Farm for the construction of a new academic campus at the residential school in February 2007.[28]

On December 5, 2007 the Dallas Business Journal reported that Pickens had donated $6 million to Jubilee Park located at S. Carroll Avenue and Lindsley/Parry Avenue in Dallas and would man a bulldozer to begin demolition of an abandoned building across the street from a kindergarten Head Start program in Jubilee Park.[29]

Selfish bastard...

And the amount I donated last year (thousands $$) is probably a greater percentage of my stuff than what the above is of his.

It is easy to be generous when you have that much money.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No he doesn't.  He want you the taxpayer to force people like me and you to make him rich by using his technology.  Sorry he is scum.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Regardless of his motivation and intent....ya gotta love that name.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
He doesn't want us to buy into anything.

He wants us to force congress to re-up the 1.9 cents per kilowatt hour wind power credit that expires the end of this year.

At 1.9 cents per kilowatt hour his 4000 megawatt wind farm would be a real government subsidy gold mine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#14]
The real question is:  Do you believe he will be honest about his motives?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#15]
He's invested long into wind, solar and natural gas. Cheap oil makes the wind and solar thing a lead albatross. Solar will be a fuel of the future but cost reduction, infrastructure and retrofitting will take years. Until that time arrives oil and gas are it. If we try to wait it out there won't be much of the US left to power. At the present about 1.9 billion dollars leave the country everyday-365 days a years just to buy oil. Oil @ $135.00 = ~ $690,000,000,000.00 yearly. Multiply that X 20 years(conservative estimate) = $13,800,000,000,000.00. Thirteen trillion is one hell of a pile of treasure.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
He has investments in certain things and wants to increase the value of those investments.

Pickens is a tool.

True, but a man like Pickens has investments in lot's of things. For the most part I don't trust people anyways but Pickens doesn't really bother me, especially compared to a two-bit hypocrite like Al Gore. Pickens is 80 years old and has plenty of money as it is. I wish he'd push domestic drilling more in his commericals but I have no problem wind and natural gas energy either, capitalism will decide if they will work on their own merits anyway. If he really wanted money anyways he wouldn't have given those hundreds of millions to Okie Lite anyways, talk about a waste!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It's all a scam...

How rare, I'm in agreement, this is quite shocking...
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No he doesn't.  He want you the taxpayer to force people like me and you to make him rich by using his technology.  Sorry he is scum.

Would you prefer to wait until after our economy goes completely tits-up before we start building alternative sources of energy?  I would like my great big American life to continue.  I would like to pass it down to my kids.  Wind energy is a part of that, and we should build it.  We should build solar.  We should build wave energy, nukes, whatever we can use.

Or we suck the ME dry and then have nothing left to use.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you prefer to wait until after our economy goes completely tits-up before we start building alternative sources of energy?  I would like my great big American life to continue.  I would like to pass it down to my kids.  Wind energy is a part of that, and we should build it.  We should build solar.  We should build wave energy, nukes, whatever we can use.

Alternative energy is SNAKE OIL

Especially 'Wind and Solar'...

There are 2 'alternatives' to fossil fuels that will work large scale: Uranium and Plutonium...

Other than that, coal, oil, and natural gas are IT...

Hydro in some *specialized areas* (gee, I wonder why he isn't pushing hydro electric? It doesn't have the failings of wind or solar... Oh yeah, the greenie-weenies hate it because it 'kills fish', and he's not heavily invested)....

Pickens 'plan' is pure bullshit - it can't work, period...

What would a *real* energy plan be?

1) Stop using oil for power generation and home heat

2) Stop using natural gas for power generation

3) Use only coal, nuclear, and hydroelectric for power generation

4) Use only natural gas or electricity for home heat

5) Use only oil for transportation - NO bio fuels, no bogus alternatives...

6) Remove all restrictions on domestic drilling, and allow the oil companies to drill wherever they want - the market will 'regulate' it well enough...

7) Officially declare 'global warming' to be bullshit, and tell the greenies to go hug a burning tree....
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Solar technology doesn't pave the fucking roads.  Oil does.

Wind power does not have monomers and polymers that can be used to make plastics and pharmaceuticals.  Dow did not raise prices because they run their plants solely on heating oil.  They did it because the source of their chemicals is mostly the oil industry.

Fucking corn isn't going to power the F22 raptor and it MAKES GAS MILEAGE IN ALL MY VEHICLES WORSE.  And now all grain prices are going up to fill the void of less corn in the food supply and the fact that corn is now traded as a fuel commodity because our stupid fucking government requires us to put it in our gas.

WISCONSIN consumers payed millions to change coal power plants into gas due to a fucking Democrat mandate.  Now we have tons of COAL which we are not using enough of and NATURAL GAS PRICES HAVE SKYROCKETED.

There is enough Oil world wide to keep growing and still use it as the primary source of motor energy for the next 200 years.  All this "we will run out" bullshit is from people who stand to make a lot of money by having you believe that bull.  We just need to drill it and refine it.  Two things we are not doing thanks to Bill Clinton, the Democrats, and the fucking wording in the clean-air act.

We DONT NEED ALTERNATIVE FUEL.  WE NEED THE FUCKING GOVERNMENT TO GET OUT OF OUR WAY AND LET FREE ENTERPRISE SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Solar technology doesn't pave the fucking roads.  Oil does.

Wind power does not have monomers and polymers that can be used to make plastics and pharmaceuticals.

Fucking corn isn't going to power the F22 raptor and it MAKES GAS MILEAGE IN ALL MY VEHICLES WORSE.

WISCONSIN consumers payed millions to change coal power plants into gas due to a fucking Democrat mandate.  Now we have tons of COAL and NATURAL GAS PRICES HAVE SKYROCKETED.

There is enough Oil world wide to keep growing and still use it as the primary source of motor energy for the next 200 years.  All this "we will run out" bullshit is from people who stand to make a lot of money by having you believe that bull.

We DONT NEED ALTERNATIVE FUEL.  WE NEED THE FUCKING GOVERNMENT TO GET OUT OF OUR WAY AND LET FREE ENTERPRISE SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.

A-FUCKING-MEN!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Wow, there is some serious class envy there.  Way to go.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#23]
We already have a viable source for producing electricity.  Nukes.

It's people like this guy who stand in the way of using them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Make T. Boone rich or

make Sheik ur booty rich.

The main problem is government interference in the market.  We need some nukes, some offshore drilling, some technology advances.....you know....DIVERSITY.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

or

Selfish bastard...

Guessing he has probably at least 10 times the total amount above for himself and the kids though...if so, nothing really to brag about...
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn, Sorry you didn't get the memo
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually no, I have zero class envy.

I'm just making a point that a poor guy giving $10 is much more an act of giving than a rich guy giving millions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Make T. Boone rich or

The main problem is government interference in the market.  We need some nukes, some offshore drilling, some technology advances.....you know....DIVERSITY.

I don't know...

I trust hadji more than I trust anyone heavily promoting 'green power'...

Hadji is easier to deal with than the enviro movement (or people trying to make cash off it)....
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:40:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I recently worked on the Combined Operating and Licensing Application (COLA) for a new nuclear plant to be located in a western state.  The COLA is the first step towards permitting a new nuclear plant.

As an Environmental Engineering Consultant I was recently assigned to work on the part of the application to discuss alternate energies.   It was a 100 page section of the COLA.

The NRC requires that you investigate alternative energy before building a new nuclear plant.

The bottom line is that wind power is not feasible.  It would take the space of the entire county to produce a wind farm capable of supplying a decent amount of energy and that is only if the wind is blowing.  It is a maintenance nightmare.

Solar energy is even worse.

We have already dammed up all the rivers that have sufficient drop to produce substantial energy, like the Columbia.

There are only three sources of energy that comes close to supplying the needs of America.

Oil – we don’t have enough.

Coal – feasible but polluting.

Nuclear – really our only alternative.

Pickens is way off base with his wind power BS.  We should be like Japan, France and the UK and produce 80% of our power from nuclear.  We need to build 400 new nuclear power plants in this country, at least.  Maybe 600.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1.) I'm all for alternative energies.  If it helps screw over the M.E., then I'm for it.
2.) We have plenty of oil and coal in the US if the govt would stay the f* out of the way.
3.) Summer and Winter Blends of Gas?  Blends by Region?  Repeal that stupid shit now so that gas companies can mass produce get prices cheaper.
4.) More refineries - duh.
5.) Nuclear.  If France can do it, so can we.

See what you aren't GETTING is that he isn't doing this to "help" us, he's doing it to line his own pockets with OUR money.  If he was completely honest and said, yes this is my solution and yes I'm going to get filthy rich off it, then I'd have more respect for him. However he's coming off like he's doing us a favaor when he's not.

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1.) I'm all for alternative energies.  If it helps screw over the M.E., then I'm for it.
2.) We have plenty of oil and coal in the US if the govt would stay the f* out of the way.
3.) Summer and Winter Blends of Gas?  Blends by Region?  Repeal that stupid shit now so that gas companies can mass produce get prices cheaper.
4.) More refineries - duh.
5.) Nuclear.  If France can do it, so can we.

See what you aren't GETTING is that he isn't doing this to "help" us, he's doing it to line his own pockets with OUR money.  If he was completely honest and said, yes this is my solution and yes I'm going to get filthy rich off it, then I'd have more respect for him. However he's coming off like he's doing us a favaor when he's not.

I follow energy issues and have for a while.  I wouldn't care if he was building something that would make methane out of pig shit, nuclear reactors, wind turbines, investing in solar companies, making tires for the huge machines that get the oil out of tar sands, drill for methane, I don't give a shit which one it is.  The man is putting up his money on building a future for my energy consumption and I like it.

I don't care that he's got his hand out for a government subsidy.  Walmart gets subsidies,  farmers get subsidies, the banking industry right now is getting huge subsidies so it doesn't fail, your granny probably cashes her social security check.  So what?

We don't have enough oil here, we need to import, no amount of drilling at home will satisfy our needs.  We have to diversify our energy generation portfolio.  If you're waiting for Saint Michael the Archangel to personally come down and bless Pickens, it's not going to happen.  In the meantime, his wind farms will generate some electricity and you get to keep your blender running on Saturday nights.

Would you cry about electricians suggesting their customers buy solar panels and use the state subsidy to offset the cost?  

We either get started on building alternatives or get used to riding a bicycle to work.  I would prefer nukes, but this is what we're getting so I say get out of his way.  Another thing we should do is build rail systems that can displace people off gasoline and diesel cars in the big cities.  If the public transportation system was good enough in NYC, Chicago, SF, and Atlanta as it is in DC, I think we'd cut down on our appetite for gas enough for rural folks to be able to afford it in places that trains aren't practical.

But nobody's asking me, and I don't have any money.  Pickens does.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#32]
If he's putting HIS money where HIS mouth is and all he wants is the goobermint to get out of his way, then more power to him.

If he wants congress to fund him, then fuck him.

Regardless, he's better than Algore simply because he has a track record of getting things done.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Make T. Boone rich or

I don't know...

I trust hadji more than I trust anyone heavily promoting 'green power'...

Hadji is easier to deal with than the enviro movement (or people trying to make cash off it)....

Yeah, I remember having to maintain 4 Army divisions and two CVBGs to protect our fuel resources from the environmental movement.

I'm no fan of the environmental movement, but to compare people by large using the political process to fuck me versus a rogues gallery of tyrants and murders is quite incorrect.

We chose not to deal with environmental movement because we are lazy.

We have no chose but to deal with hadji, on his terms.

That's insane policy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:34:28 AM EDT
[#34]
He's creating cognitive dissonance in liberals.

Link, cold as ice, shaken not stirred:  http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=389&topic_id=3607827
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I just saw his alternative energy commercial. Is he going to be a third party candidate for POTUS?

From Cabaret "Money makes the world go round, the world go round"

The ONLY reason T. Boone Pickens gives a crap about anything is to make money.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Link, cold as ice, shaken not stirred:  http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=389&topic_id=3607827

Wow. They hate him because he exposed John Kerry and therefore they should reject his plan.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. They hate him because he exposed John Kerry and therefore they should reject his plan.

Some of them think the Pickens family should be ostracized for 10 generations.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#38]
This one should be better.

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#39]
HOLY GINORMOUS PIC BATMAN!
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just making a point that a poor guy giving $10 is much more an act of giving than a rich guy giving millions.

To bad the math says otherwise.  10% is 10% whether you have $10 or $10,000,000.  It is all a factor of scale.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To bad the math says otherwise.  10% is 10% whether you have $10 or $10,000,000.  It is all a factor of scale.

It's based on how you give it.  If you do it for the right motives, then great.  If he does it to lower his tax burden, then he's doing it for the wrong motive.  

Andrew Carnegie gave a bunch of his fortune away when he died.  Does that make him a good person?  I bet you didn't also know that the reason he gave the money away because his preacher told him he wouldn't get into Heaven if he didn't give his money away.  So you see it depends on motives, not the amount.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Pickens is a tool.

+1
He has been buying up all the water rights in the panhandle and wants to use eminent domain to build a pipeline so he can sell his water to cities in the DFW area.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't buy it for a second.  This whole setup smells like a scam to me.

Had he come out and said "we need to cut our dependence on foreign oil by drilling our own country, modernizing our refineries, improving natural gas technology, building a shitload of nuke plants, and efficiently recycling spent nuke fuel, and I'm putting my $$ where my mouth is," I'd have thought he was a squared away mofo.

But that's not what happened.  He and Al Gore can both go piss up a rope and suck the wet end.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Funny watching his great ideas get completely exposed.  I guess we will see if he owns up to the huge financial gain for his ideas not to mention any subsidies he will get.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

It's all a scam...

ftw
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If he's putting HIS money where HIS mouth is and all he wants is the goobermint to get out of his way.....

No he doesn't want the gubment out of the way. He wants the gubment to re-up the handout.

He wants us to force congress to re-up the 1.9 cents per kilowatt hour wind power credit that expires the end of this year.

At 1.9 cents per kilowatt hour his 4000 megawatt wind farm would be a real government subsidy gold mine.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A-FUCKING-MEN!

I'm with Josey Wales and Dave A on this one.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

It's all a scam...

All you have to do is listen.  He sounds like a used car salesman.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#49]
He may know investing.  His plan is FAILED.  Wind power isn't reliable, only competetive as long as there is a 1.3 penny per kW-H subsidy.

Peak capacity plants need to be on line quick, within 30 minutes for the call, otherwise there will be brownouts.  And how do we do it?  Natural gas fueled turbine plants.  This power is EXPENSIVE but necessary.

By using natural gas for automotive and replacing it with wind, the capacity of the wind must be widely distributed and far over capacity by a factor of 8.  And even that is a stretch because of transport.

We need more coal and nuclear plants.  And we need variable billing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top