Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2001 4:21:09 PM EDT
I am interested in getting a hunting bow,as a quiet alternate to my AR-15.It would be used for self defense,in a "noise sensitive" area which the AR-15 would be "just a tad" too loud.
Looking for a good,accurate bow,without breaking my wallet,actually any good hunting bow would do.Again,to be used as quiet critter-defense.Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how much you are wanting to spend. I just bought a new bow this year at Bass Pro for $249 if I remember correctly. It was ready to shoot as I bought it, but I made some upgrades to make it how I wanted it. There are plenty of bows that are cheaper than that, less than $175 and sometimes you can find a good deal at the pawn shops after hunting season.

I suggest you spend some time looking over the bow hunting boards on the net and decide on what you think you might want.

Bows are kind of like guns, nobody else can really tell you what you will like.

Good luck.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want a daytime to twilight bow use the compound. It is easy to learn and with a trigger release it will shoot like a rifle. DO NOT MOUNT A PEEP SIGHT ON THE STRING! I have seen many people with this useless piece of shyt and it will cost you deer or other targets in low light situations. Just mount some good light gathering pins on the riser and anchor your release hand in the exact place everytime and you will shoot as good as a peep and even better in low light.

If you want to shoot in extremely low light and not have to lug around 6 pounds of bow get a recurve or longbow. I can shoot in low light situations by using the instinctive method of aiming while the peep and pin shooters are walking back to the truck. This will take alot more practice but I find it more rewarding. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I just started getting into archery this past summer and love it. Started with a Browning laminated wood bow I bought for $10 bucks. Needed some parts, and after calling Browning they sent what I needed no charge. Mind you this bow was around seven years old. Great customer service. Turns out this bow went tits up a few weeks later so I found an identical one on Ebay (***hint, very good place to find your bow***) This one was over five years old but still new in the box. Guess what, it broke too. See the wooden laminate limbs (the parts that flex) seperated. It's called delamination and it happens with age I learned. I knew I was SOL but I called Browning just to see what would happen. Long story short they replaced it with a new 2001 model bow worth around $400. Can you believe that. Talk about brand loyalty no doubt. Even though it was old they made the decision to cover it under warranty because the warranty doesn't start till it's purchased. Anyway, go out and get six bales of straw from a farmer for a backstop and have fun. I'm deadly accurate at 30 yrds now and alot can be said for slinging flaming arrows in the WTSHTF situations.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Any critter big enough to be a threat to a person isn't likely to drop very quickly [from the point of view of someone within bow range who felt that he was about to be gnawed upon to the point where he loosed a shaft at the critter] if struck by an arrow anywhere but in the heart.  Try super heavy bullet subsonic loads in big bores like 45-70 or 12 gauge if noise is a factor.  Depending upon the size of the critter, 44 special, 45 colt, 45 ACP etc might also do the job.  Maybe with silencer, local laws permitting.  Heck, even 22LR will  work fine on most North American predators with a few follow up shots.  I like bows, but if the choice is me or an animal I'd prefer to reach for something that burns powder.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Mathews Solo Cam. 70lb max draw weight, 80% let off.

Get a rear peep site, yes, mounted in the string.  The one I have is about 3/8" in diameter and get a tritium front sight pin.

Lightest, quietest bow I've oned in my life of archery (since the original Bear White Tail, 1970?) I've had.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you want a daytime to twilight bow use the compound. It is easy to learn and with a trigger release it will shoot like a rifle. DO NOT MOUNT A PEEP SIGHT ON THE STRING! I have seen many people with this useless piece of shyt and it will cost you deer or other targets in low light situations. Just mount some good light gathering pins on the riser and anchor your release hand in the exact place everytime and you will shoot as good as a peep and even better in low light.

If you want to shoot in extremely low light and not have to lug around 6 pounds of bow get a recurve or longbow. I can shoot in low light situations by using the instinctive method of aiming while the peep and pin shooters are walking back to the truck. This will take alot more practice but I find it more rewarding. Good luck.
View Quote

I've had good luck using a peep sight in most light conditions.  As Waldo mentioned, use one with a larger aperture.  

Instinctive shooting is great with a recurve, but I find it difficult when the adrenaline kicks in.  I tend to call it "Zen style" [:D].  I need to be very relaxed to do it consistently with the level of accuracy I require for hunting.

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted: I just started getting into archery this past summer and love it. Started with a Browning laminated wood bow I bought for $10 bucks. Needed some parts, and after calling Browning they sent what I needed no charge. Mind you this bow was around seven years old. Great customer service. Turns out this bow went tits up a few weeks later so I found an identical one on Ebay (***hint, very good place to find your bow***) This one was over five years old but still new in the box. Guess what, it broke too. See the wooden laminate limbs (the parts that flex) seperated. It's called delamination and it happens with age I learned. I knew I was SOL but I called Browning just to see what would happen. Long story short they replaced it with a new 2001 model bow worth around $400. Can you believe that. Talk about brand loyalty no doubt. Even though it was old they made the decision to cover it under warranty because the warranty doesn't start till it's purchased. Anyway, go out and get six bales of straw from a farmer for a backstop and have fun. I'm deadly accurate at 30 yrds now and alot can be said for slinging flaming arrows in the WTSHTF situations.[:D]
View Quote

5 to 7 years is not a long time - My dad shot with the same laminated recurve from the time I was about 10 until 2 years ago - and my brother now shoots with that bow.  Sounds like a problem with QC, which is probably why they sent you a brand new one.

Just getting back into it myself now, and I've got the compound dad bought shortly before he died. got a couple bales of hay and am practicing - maybe next season I'll get out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:09:58 AM EDT
[#9]
3/8 diameter peep with 1 1/2 inch eye relief @ 20 yds=14' field of view. 1/4 diameter peep @ 20 yds= 10' field of view. 3/16 diameter peep @ 20 yds= 8' field of view. You would limit your perepherial(sp) view and light gathering for a questionable amount of peepatude such as this? Maybe a kisser button if you have a problem with anchor point placement but the peep is a total waste. Let's not get to the deer killed numbers with a bow. Mine are a bunch over 25 years of bow hunting. If you feel you need the crutch of a peep instead of regular practice then by all means use it. I am a believer in practice instead of gadgetry. Get the mercury filled stabalizer because it's better than the dead weight stabalizer. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you can't leave the house without a bow level, over draw, bow sling, line tracker, cat whiskers,lighted pins, windsock,etc, mounted on your 90#plus compound deathstick. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:59:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:28:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Thats funny, I have never seen anybody that shot a compound bow without some type of peep sight. Also, I fail to see how it could be detrimental in low light conditions. My pins stop glowing and I pretty much can't see anymore before I cannot see through my peep sight. I guess Pangea doesn't use a scope on his rifle, or sights for that matter.....

Michael
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:31:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Waldo, do you deep fry or stew those 3-d when you shoot 'em. ;)

My point is that if you bolt enough shit on your bow you limit your ability to be flexible in different shooting situations. I am touting simplicity, not primitive or traditional eletist dogma. You have a nice day now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Find you a good bow shop that can help you with purchase, fitting, shooting, maintenance, etc.
If you have problems with anything it can drive you crazy![>Q]

I have never owned a Matthews Solo Cam but have heard good things about them.
I have a PSE Carroll Intruder and have never been disappointed in it. I bought it new but my dad found a PSE Laser Flight Express at a pawn/archery shop for $75.00 with everything you would need own it.

Just ask around for the name of a good archery shop and get to shooting! Arrows that is!
Just remember that arrows ricochet off of stuff if your shooting in confined places.

BigDozer66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top