Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2008 5:26:32 AM EDT
9 dead and 15 wounded when an outpost was over run then repelled. More than 40 dead enemy.

Where can I find information on the deceased?

AP Link

ISAF link

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It will be a few days before the names are released.  They must notify next of kin first.

Godspeed to those who gave all.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#2]
its been all over the news for awhile.

That really sucks for those guys and their families.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah i just saw it on the news a min ago and immediately thought of a friend of mine there.

Thats right in his area. and his last login to myspace : Last Login: 7/12/2008  

So hopefully I will hear from him today.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:34:44 AM EDT
[#4]
The fighting goes on over there still. What pisses me off is when the media refers to the Taliban as "militants". They're fucking terrorist-murderers for christ sake. That's like calling Pol Pot a brave leader.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Godbless.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#6]
hope your friend is ok.

I lost two good friends 24JUN06 when we were over there.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:46:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn. That's a helluva cost for that battle.

Anyone know the size of the US unit that was attacked? They seemed to indicate the terrorist forces numbered in the 300 range. I hope we didn't have a single platoon of troops out there operating all by their lonesome that got cut off.

It seems things in Afghanistan are really starting to heat up and the enemy there is getting bolder. It seems they haven't come together in operate in large groups like this since 2002. We may again have to change our tactics as well to address this.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:48:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Anyone know the size of the US unit that was attacked? They seemed to indicate the terrorist forces numbered in the 300 range. I hope we didn't have a single platoon of troops out there operating all by their lonesome that got cut off.

It seems things in Afghanistan are really starting to heat up and the enemy there is getting bolder. It seems they haven't come together in operate in large groups like this since 2002. We may again have to change our tactics as well to address this.

Dude you have no idea, we were rolling around helmand province (SHITTY area Garmser - google it) with just 6 americans - 2 humvees and 80 Afghan army troops

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Seems like they(Taliban) have a good place to hide out and train in Pakistan.......
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Not knowing how many were at outpost and what the total numbers were, but I have no doubt that those involved put up a very good fight. They were vastly outnumbered and still managed to inflict more casualities.

*yes I know it's a Marine smiley, but I believe this is approrpiate smiley for those who dealt enemies a significant loss.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, stuff is all over.
Something shady.
Rumors that the ANA gave them up
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not knowing how many were at outpost and what the total numbers were, but I have no doubt that those involved put up a very good fight. They were vastly outnumbered and still managed to inflict more casualities.

They didn't just put up a good fight, they won.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Due to the terrain, and climate the spring/summer and early part of fall are the active times for the Taliban, and our own troops to some extent.

Kinda hard to fight when you're sitting on a 10,000ft + mountain in the middle of winter.

But it seems like every time the fighting starts again in the spring the media comes in and talks about how the Taliban are increasing attacks and there is a lot more fighting like we are losing, or things are getting out of control.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Due to the terrain, and climate the spring/summer and early part of fall are the active times for the Taliban, and our own troops to some extent.

Kinda hard to fight when you're sitting on a 10,000ft + mountain in the middle of winter.

But it seems like every time the fighting starts again in the spring the media comes in and talks about how the Taliban are increasing attacks and there is a lot more fighting like we are losing, or things are getting out of control.

this is more than the annual up-tick.
AQ is putting less resources into Iraq because they basically failed.
The new PM of pakistan is basically giving free reign to the taliban in the North of Pakistan which is allowing them to train and equip with impunity.

This is a long term, new serious problem, not the seasonal issue.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#15]
is there a website to find out the names of the wounded ?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry to hear that. At least now the Talibans are fighting the war we wished they would have from the start.You can't really call in CAS on an IED
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That's like calling Pol Pot a brave leader.

To the media, he was.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Allot of info about it is still not open source releasable.  

The enemy force was very large, several times the size of the force at the COP, allot of supporting fires were used both air, arty and mortars during the fight.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#19]
well my friend is okay. he said they killed internet and phone until after family was notified.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Two big articles in today's Stars and Stripes:

Interview with a guy from the unit who was wounded:
www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=56237

"It was some of the bravest stuff I’ve ever seen in my life, and I will never see it again because those guys," Stafford said, then paused. "Normal humans wouldn’t do that. You’re not supposed to do that — getting up and firing back when everything around you is popping and whizzing and trees, branches coming down and sandbags exploding and RPGs coming in over your head … It was a fistfight then, and those guys held ’ em off."

Stafford offered a guess as to why his fellow soldiers fought so hard.

"Just hardcoreness I guess," he said. "Just guys kicking ass, basically. Just making sure that we look scary enough that you don’t want to come in and try to get us."

Some clarifications from the BCT CO:
www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=56252

"As far as I know, and I know a lot, it was not overrun in any shape, manner or form," an emotional Preysler said. "It was close combat to be sure — hand grenade range. The enemy never got into the main position. As a matter of fact, it was, I think, the bravery of our soldiers reinforcing the hard-pressed observation post, or OP, that turned the tide to defeat the enemy attack."

ETA: The CO is referring to this (from the first article):

Platoon leader 1st Lt. Jonathan Brostrom and Cpl. Jason Hovater arrived at the observation post to reinforce the soldiers. By that time, the insurgents had breached the perimeter of the observation post.

Both 1st Lt. Jonathan Brostrom and Cpl. Jason Hovater are among the KIA
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That's exactly what it was...

LZ X-ray II, but PLT(+) vs BN(-), and no aerial reinforcement...

Not 1 BN vs 3 BDE...

Most reports indicate the Talis had ~90 killed, and ~40 WIA... Their numerically superior force got stomped by one platoon with air/arty support.....
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Check the Ranstadt's Militia Thread.

link
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#23]
The worst part about the whole thing is the base has been abandoned.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#24]
From the sounds of it this battle sounds a bit like the Battle of Hill 3234 the Soviets fought during their tenure in Afganistan.  I'm sorry for the families of those brave soldiers but on the same hand it makes me proud we have such fine soldiers who fight so well no matter the odds or how bad things get.  Rest in peace soldiers, your job is done.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Check the Ranstadt's Militia Thread.

link

Quoted:
you are the coolest, sir...  

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top