Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/26/2001 1:51:17 PM EDT
Well, thanks guys.  Thanks for teaching me all about "the bump"

After receiving lessons at the AR15.com north Texas shoot at Tac-Pro, I decided to go home to East Texas and show all my old high school buddies my newly aquired skills at our annual skeet shoot on my Grandparent's land.

So I check to make sure Grandpa aint in earshot... bust out the trusty bushy, slap in a 30 rounder, and proceed to elicit smiles from all who watched.  About 20 minutes later, along comes a sherrif's deputy, responding to a call of full auto machine gun fire coming from our farm.  He asked us if we had any fully automatic weapons.  We told him no... and then he glanced at out table.  Well, I can tell you, he was not prepared to see 3 AR's, 4 pistols, and enough magazines and ammo to arm a squadron.  He let out a "WOW," looked them over, and then went on his merry way.  If my Grandad had not been with us at the time, I would have showed him why he got the call... and then asked him to be on his way... but had to play nice.

Talk about stupid/nosy neighbors.  Oh, and the Grandparents really love visits from the police... let me tell you.

I guess my bump days are over.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
bump firing an ar-15?
i didnt know that was possible.

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
bump firing an ar-15?

View Quote

... Yes you can, I can empty a 30 rounder without one hiccup no problem.
And it is NOT ILLEGAL either!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep hearing about this bump firing thing but have never seen it.  I WANNA KNOW HOW TO DO IT!!!!!!  Had a buddy once tell me if you put your finger behind the trigger and then pull the trigger it would repeat....is this it?  Thought he was full of shit at the time.  Teach me oh sensei.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
My RRA LEGP won't bump fire, but my cheap ass ASA CAR15 will. I seem to recall DVDtracker saying that he bump fired his M1 Garand. Also seen a FAL bumped. Guess you can bump just about any firearm.

garheadjr, contact a member goes by the name Bishop he has videos.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a way to bump fire an AR from the shouder? ( e.g. aimed fire?)
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]
What part of East Texas?

And BTW...  I warned everyone that it sounded just like a full auto, and that the police would likely be arriving to investigate.

TheRedGoat/Baphomet
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What part of East Texas?
View Quote

Mt. Pleasant... my "homie-town".
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Hahahaha...From the title I thought maybe you got caught with an underage girl or something.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I seem to recall DVDtracker saying that he bump fired his M1 Garand. Also seen a FAL bumped. Guess you can bump just about any firearm.

View Quote
damn bump firing a fal and the garand. i wonder what that is like forehead smacking?

i didnt bump fire but i did shoot off 2 20 rounders as fast as i could sqeeze the trigger man that was awsome.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump firing?

JUST SAY NO!  Say no to bumping, I say.  It is the work of the devil!

I have been an addict for about a year now. It's tough, man.  I've tried going on the wagon, but that irresistible urge bears it's ugly head almost every time.

I've got the technique down for my SLR and my FAL, but I haven't tried it with my Bushy.  Seen it done many times with AR's by others, though.

It's all in the wrist.  Grab a nudie book and go practice in the bathroom before you try it on the range.  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Went to our gun club the other day and a kid had a new Armalite 223 carbine w/midlength forearms (Really looked good)..he was saying he wished he could get full auto and i told him his rifle was full auto and with my back to him i bumped off 20 rounds...Explained the bump to him and the last time i saw him he was headed to get more ammo.......Dick
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive even seen a Barret doin the "bump" got video of it too. I beleive it was a ar15 shoot held a few months ago if I remember right
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
bump firing an ar-15?

View Quote

Is it?  I have tried with my Bushy 20" A2 HBAR.  Is the heavy barrel too heavy for the light recoil of the AR to make this work or am I just not doing it right?  BTW I have the original trigger in it, do you have to have a lighter trigger pull to bump an AR?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool!!!!  Thanks guys.  Dammit, I wish it werent so damn dark out...although those tracers would look pretty awesome....
[heavy]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
bump firing an ar-15?

View Quote

Is it?  I have tried with my Bushy 20" A2 HBAR.  Is the heavy barrel too heavy for the light recoil of the AR to make this work or am I just not doing it right?  BTW I have the original trigger in it, do you have to have a lighter trigger pull to bump an AR?
View Quote

Light/normal triggers are recommended.  However, I can bump my post ban DR200 and a Bushmaster HBAR carbine equally well.  Neither has any trigger work or adjustments made.

I have seen a couple of guns that did not seem to be bump friendly, and it seemed to be from a stiff trigger/heavy gun combo.  YMMV

Biggest mistake with bump firing is trying to 'hold' the gun with the trigger hand.  Don't do that, it eliminates the 'floating' effect.

Also,  Don't force the gun/trigger/recoil effect.  It is a Zen-thing.  Ease the gun forward, let the recoil take control.  After a while, you can 'aim.'  Trust me.  I have a tree that is a witness tothe ability of aiming while bump firing.  Wife is REAL proud of that little demonstration. [%|]

and like DesertRider said... bump firing is the work of the devil.  Addictive, rock and roll for the rest of us!

TheRedGoat/Baphomet
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Is this the "Barrett Bump" you're talking about??

[url]http://redskins-forums.com/October.shoot/Blackfox-10shot.mpg[/url]

That's me spending the best $10 I've spent in a while :).  That's also VA-gunnut with the 16 near the end of the video.  

Here's another one:
[url]http://redskins-forums.com/October.shoot/Blackfox-7shot.mpg[/url]

Black Fox
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Blackfox:
thats the one. Please explain what that felt like. I about spit beer all over my screen when I saw the concusion throwing up dust around you like that. I have yet to fire a 50 yet, but Ill get a chance sooner or later.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Next thing you know, on the agenda from ATF: Bump-firing is illegal. [:D] [:D]
View Quote

I am proud of you Mojo, you didn't say, "I ain't gotta bump, I own a real FA!"

TheRedGoat/Baphomet
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next thing you know, on the agenda from ATF: Bump-firing is illegal. [:D] [:D]
View Quote

I am proud of you Mojo, you didn't say, "I ain't gotta bump, I own a real FA!"

TheRedGoat/Baphomet
View Quote

------------------------

RedGoat, as far as bump fire is concerned, I'm just a rookie.

View Quote

I know, BUT I am still proud of you!  

Besides, you gave me the BEST compliment I've ever had concerning my Bump Firing: "Dang, Goat, I thought you had a real full auto!"  

Loosely paraphrased, of course. (I've slept since TacPro...)

A good poker player = A sign of misspent youth.

A good bump firer = A sign of misspent ammo

TheRedGoat/Baphomet
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Shooting a 50 is the most fun I've had in a long time.  Ever since I saw what one with incindiary rounds would do to an intact car, I had to have one :).  They are awesome weapons.

I've had several serious shoots at my place, but usually everybody wants to relax and goof off.  Everybody was shooting their AR-15/M-16's and AK-variants at a bunch of bowling pins at ~35 yards.  I just wanted to see what the 50 would do.  Oh my God!!!

People beside me on the first one (7-shot) lost their breath from the blast the muzzle break emits.  The second time (10-shot) notice all the people scrambling to be directly behind me :).  I've never seen anybody bump fire a Barrett before.  It was a lot of fun.  Believe it or not, the camera didn't show most of the dust cloud.  Kind of ended the shooting for a little while!!  

Here's a few normal shots: [url]http://redskins-forums.com/October.shoot/Travis-50-3shot.mpg[/url]

[url]http://redskins-forums.com/October.shoot/Steve-wife-50bmg.mpg[/url]

Watch the stuff fly off the table :)

Black Fox
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#27]
hmm it must be a colt thing
i cant do it with my m-forgery or my two h-bars
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I can bump fire my friend's SAR1 all day long, but I can't bump my postban Colt to save my life.

Not enough recoil.  I can't get past the sear.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I had to quit bumping my SAR. The handguards were starting to burn away. Almost caught them on fire at one of BlackFox's shoots.... [flame]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Next thing you know, on the agenda from ATF: Bump-firing is illegal.
View Quote

-----

the atf lacks the authoritah to outlaw bump
View Quote

[i] (FWIW,,,,,)[/i]

They DO have a gigantic "gray area" in interpreting what [i]"Two or more shots with a single action (of the trigger finger)"[/i] means. I learned that the hard way a long time ago. That little lesson cost me over $3500.00 in attorneys fees, & 1½ years of restless nights.
I'm sure there'd be fewer (ignorance & harassment) arrests if they had to refund legal fees when the judge throws it out. But they don't.

Be careful (with belts/strings, fat foam butpads, 4lb triggers, & rigid fingers) guys. If you get an overzealous asshole agent within earshot, [u]he STF can make your life hell for a year or two. [/u]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Moe fun than doing the bump is to say to the police, of course we have automatic weapons. You know you are in Texas right? What other kind is there?

Then you get to show your papers and have him try guns more awesome than thier dept. probably has issued. You now have a cop buddy for life and will get you out of your next speeding ticket cause he remembers how much fun he had shooting with you.

Why do you think deputies even respond to these calls? It's cause they want to shoot machine guns too, while on work hours. Giving speeding tickets is boring.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I learned that the hard way a long time ago.
View Quote

Hey man, would you be interested in telling that whole story? I for one would love to hear it.
Oh and while I got ya here, your item went to the PO tonight, but they are still inspecting Florida mail with a microscope, so be patient.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm curious about the Sherrif. What if you HAD been firing a registered full auto? What could he have done or said?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm curious about the Sherrif. What if you HAD been firing a registered full auto? What could he have done or said?
View Quote

interesting question.  He was super nice, but if we were shooting FA Class III weapons, I wonder what would have been his next question?  I wonder if they are even trained in knowing what legal papers are?  If I did have papers, then he would have had to just say... "thanks, have a nice day"  I am sure.  I would bet that they just have to respond to the complaint, whether they do anything or not.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Moe fun than doing the bump is to say to the police, of course we have automatic weapons. You know you are in Texas right? What other kind is there?

Then you get to show your papers and have him try guns more awesome than thier dept. probably has issued. You now have a cop buddy for life and will get you out of your next speeding ticket cause he remembers how much fun he had shooting with you.

Why do you think deputies even respond to these calls? It's cause they want to shoot machine guns too, while on work hours. Giving speeding tickets is boring.
View Quote

A similar situation happened to me one time.  Me and some buddies were on a friend of my dads land shooting all sorts of handguns and rifles (M1 carbine, 30-06, sks, blackpowder, etc).  A few times while shooting we would fire the guns as fast as our fingers could pull the trigger.  Well, I guess the neighbors didn't like it and they called the cops saying we were shooting full auto.  The cops roll up and we explain ourselves and before they leave I have one of them shooting my black powder rifle and the other shooting my friends S&W .44magnum.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

PS.  This only works on Center-Fire Semi-Auto rifles.  I don't think I'd be dumb enough to try this on a FAL, Garand, or M14/M1A.  A mini-14 might do it well, I don't know...  Make sure that you have a lawyer's # on hand when you do it, just incase...
View Quote
I've only seen it done on mini-14s.[peep]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Thats about all my mini 14 is good for
(bumping).My armalite wont do it postban with muzzle brake
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#39]
You should have seem me years ago playing paintball...

I bet Sheridan is still wondering why I wanted all those sears - I had an experimental project in the works.  Some VERY careful Dremel work (and about half a dozen sears) gave me a select-fire VM-68 - with no additional parts!  It's all in the trigger finger, and the amount of rounding in the sear hook...

Of course, I was practising a few years later at a buddy's place with my VM - and he had his Trracer - and all of a sudden Milpitas PD shows up.  Two-pronged complaint:

1) Something sounded like a machine gun
2) People shooting at a dwelling (my buddy's house.)

As it happened, the cops were paintballers, and I managed to convinve them we were practising chain-fire volleys (no, I didn't tell them how to "rip" with the VM - it took me three months to kae it work anyhow...)

Fortuantely, we weren't hassled about anything in the end, but it could have been far worse, if the MPD guys were able to figure out how to "trip" the sear on the VM...  I still might have been able to convince them it was worn and neded replacing...

FFZ
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Okay, I'm in unfamiliar territory, but let me see if I have it right. Bump fire is to jerking off, as full auto is to wild monkey sex.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm still working on getting my Bushy to bump with a full Beta Mag in it. . .
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:35:56 AM EDT
[#42]
The hardest rifle I have ever bumped is my M17s, but with pratice[:D], I am close to bumping my AR from the sholder, again more pratice needed. The FAL is a blast but only form the bipod at the bench. I am kind of lucky my shotguns are pumps I guess[:)]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:56:20 AM EDT
[#43]
I wonder why my Carbon-15 will only bump in 2 or 3 round bursts?  Consistantly, too.  You'd think that it's light weight would lend itself to the bimpfire.

Guess I just gotta practice more!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 2:39:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
it's light weight would lend itself to the bimpfire.
View Quote

You little minkey.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wonder why my Carbon-15 will only bump in 2 or 3 round bursts?  Consistantly, too.  You'd think that it's light weight would lend itself to the bimpfire.

Guess I just gotta practice more!
View Quote

Trust me, if it will do 2-3, then it will do a full mag.  Relax a little more.  Try a different magazine, etc.

I have always been curious WHY the police are able to come 'investigate' full auto fire.  Full auto is NOT illegal.  You just have to be licensed.

Everytime they hear a car start, do they 'investigate' because you also need a license (and you could be driving without one...)

LOTS of things require licensing to be authorized, why do they have 'special' rights for this?

I don't get it.  How can hearing something that is a legal, licensed activity justify their presence?

I'm not being a smart ass, I really don't understand how they are authorized to come to your property and ask you questions about 'do you have a full auto?'

TheRedGoat/Baphomet
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:39:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You little minkey.
View Quote

[:D]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Assuming you had all your paperwork and weren't shooting in a dangerous or unsafe manner, there's not a lot he could do.  Of course, if he did ask you to pack it up for the day, you'd be wise to take heed.  If he's the CLEO who signed off on your paperwork, you certainly don't want to piss him off - it'll be the last NFA weapon you ever get a signature for.  Even if he's from another jurisdiction, he'll know who your signing CLEO is by inspecting your forms and he may give a call to your local CLEO.  Again, your local CLEO who gave you the signoff won't be too happy to hear about you making trouble for other LEO's and can deny you another signoff if he thinks you're being an ass.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Okay, I'm in unfamiliar territory, but let me see if I have it right. Bump fire is to jerking off, as full auto is to wild monkey sex.
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You little minkey.
View Quote

[:D]
View Quote

"You have Reh-ciev-ed a beump."

"A...beump?"

or better yet,

"Did you say 'Minkey'?"

[:D][:D]

Juggernaut

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#50]
I cant get the Bushy HBAR 20" to do it at all but the SKS tosses a 30 rounder without a hitch.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top