Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2001 8:09:12 PM EDT
I was at the NRA with two friends of mine.  We were watching the cowboy action match, as none of us had ever seen one, since we enjoy all aspects of shooting sports and thought we would check it out.  We noticed some of the older guys looking back with the "what are they doing here" look, I have also noticed this at some of the IDPA matches I have gone to watch.  I also constantly get this look from people in gun shops and at shows, especially when I am at the range with my AR.  I am 19, as are my friends that went with me, unfortunately my dad does not live with me therefore; I am usually by myself or with other friends that share my interest in shooting.  I do more to participate in shooting and preservation of the 2nd amendment than most gun owners of American; the only difference is my age.  I know I speak for all the younger members on this board and all of us who share the privilege and right to bear arms when I say we are the future, we are the ones who will be fighting the fight for years to come.  This was not written to attract pity, I only want to ask one thing of you older members. If you see some younger kids without an older person at a match or any other event, instead of giving a look go talk to them and share the knowledge and interest, it will only help the cause.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that is good advice also you can approach the older crowd and ask a few questions as most of them are very nice people.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a good point.  Generally when I do ask questions they change their tune and are more than happy to talk.  However; not all will ask questions and no one wants to participate in something were they feel alienated.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Usually if someone shows an interest people
are likely to open up. If they don't they
are elitest and you just shine them on.
Since you like shooting the ar try to find
groups that share your passion.
Since you are kind of on your own try to help
younger ones in similar situations.
I get a good feeling watching people shoot
my guns and ammo, especially the younger ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top