Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2001 5:16:50 AM EDT
[img]www.carmax.com/VehicleImages/1266983.jpg[/img]

Well the Nissan Pathfinder crapped out this weekend, so above is gonna be the wifes new car.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS CAR, OR CAN GIVE ME ANY GOOD ADVICE????

thanx.
garandman
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:54:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You should think of this.....I use my flying carpet,the wife uses the broom!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Step back from the car......proceed to a safe place.....fast real fast!
I had a Mitsubishi, parts and repairs were 50 % higher than any other car. My friend has one, alternator went $400 for a rebuilt one, my neighbor had a Montero...nothing but trouble, turned it in got a new Galliant.......he is walking this week....in the shop already!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I have heard many horror stories about Mitsubishi reliability.

I know of one mechanic that will not work on them because he said "why delay the inevitable?"

I would personally go for the Honda Accord if you are in the market for a import sedan.

I have a 93 accord as my work car. 130k without a single problem. My buddy just traded his 91 in for a 01 and it had 421k when he traded it in.

Honda is far superior and will last without any or few problems.

Beware, there is one warning though....after you own one, you won't want to buy anything else.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#4]
My mom had two new Mistubishi Mirage's in the mid 90's.  They never gave her any trouble.  She went back to the Toyota Camry after that, and is on her 2nd one of those.  My wife drives an Accord.

My advice is to check out the suspension.  While the Acord is troublefree, I am not at all impressed with the handling characteristics.  Too light weight.  The Camry is better.  Never been in the Gallant, so I can't comment on it.

If the price is right, personally, I wouldn't be overly concerned about any of the three I have mentioned.

Shop around, and test drive each one.  Pay attention to the ride qualitites.

Cope
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]
We picked up a 2001 Honda Accord LX for the wife in March 2001. So far so good, the wife loves it, I like it, but I'am a truck person myself.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I was looking at those too back when I needed a car...let's just say I'm more than happy with my 2001 Nissan Maxima SE

The Nissan 2002 models are even better!
Maxima with 255 HP (up from 222!)
Altima with 240 HP (should be a pocket rocket!)
No I'm not a Nissan Dealer, I'm just happy with the ones I've had:

'92 Patfinder SE-V6
'96 Altima
'99 Maxima GLE
'01 Maxima SE

I'll be getting the Z car next!!!
My .02 cents
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#7]
i own a 96 galant, bought it used in 98 with 26k on it...just passed 70k yesterday on the way back to school, i have had zero problems with the vehicle since i bought it; routine maintenance and some new tires and brake pads.  reliability has been all i can ask for...the car i owned before my galant was a 90 honda civic, not a bad car...but at 130k it started to crap out, different things started to go here and there...it was more trouble than it was worth.  that being said...if i had a choice between a new galant and a new accord, i think i'd choose the accord...you might look into the acura line as well, just as reliable as honda (gee...i wonder why!)  
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Think WWII then say NO!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy the extended warantee.  They can give the car away and make it up on the parts.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Mitsubishi's have many problems with their brakes and paint chipping. There also was a big scandal a couple years ago about service advisors at several dealerships filing fake rdr's on cars that weren't even sold in order to get bonuses in the Triple Diamond service program. Customers found out the hard way when they took their car in for warranty service only to be denied due to the fake rdr's starting the warranty period months earlier.

Let's just say I had inside info. Buy American.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Have to agree with Waverunner on this one — Either the Maxima or new V6 Altima have it [b]in spades[/b] over the Gallant, both in performance and reliability. You won't need to buy another one for another 180K or so. Should still be able to pick up an '01 Maxima for about the same price as a nicely-equipped Gallant.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Buy the extended warantee.  They can give the car away and make it up on the parts.
View Quote

I've heard good and bad about Mitsubishi.  Just remember that DaimlerChrysler owns a very large part of Mitsubishi, and they're doing so well right now.  Don't laugh, but check out Hyundai, especially the Sonata GLS V6 (my wife's car), if you insist on an import.  Better price, better warranty than anyone (5yr/60000 mi bumper-bumper, 10/100,000 engine/drivetrain).  Fit and finish are excellent and the engine runs as quiet as any Honda, Nissan, or Toyota.  As for me, Ford trucks all the way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 2001 Galant now, also had a 2000 that a dishonest dealer sold to me as a demo when it really was a rental.  It is hard to beat their financing plan right now (0 down 0% no payments till 2003 - not sure of the term on the loan tho), but in general, while on the surface the car seems like a good deal, once you add up any options, you'll often be in the same price range as a model of accord (much better car IMHO) that comes with them standard.  For example, the EX (prolly the most popular model) doesn't have ABS or wheels (has fugly hubcaps), and to get either, you need to buy an entire option package.   I think the package that has ABS is around an extra 2k.

The power on the 4 cyl is nothing spectacular - it would be better if they offered it in a manual transmission.

I've also had real problems with the cheap cloth covered door panels on both cars.  The material is not very heavy duty, and covers the arm rest.  After only 7500 miles, the cloth is showing wear at the edge of the armrest from (duh) resting your arm there.  When I got my 2000 with only 10000 miles on it, the glue holding the cloth on the curved part of the door panel (sorry - can't really describe it) had failed, and the cloth was sort of just hanging there.  The 2001 is starting to show signs of this already.  All the interior colors are very light as well (think only light grey or light tan), and the cloth on the door panels gets dirty pretty easy, and doesn't clean up well.

There was also already 3 recalls on the 2000, although I haven't gotten one on the 2001 yet.

If I could do it over again, I would spend the few extra bucks a month or a maxima or accord.

Rocko
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There was also already 3 recalls on the 2000, although I haven't gotten one on the 2001 yet.

Rocko
View Quote

I knew some people who were high up in the Customer Service and Product Engineering dept of Mitsubishi Automotive and they used to tell me that those recalls are typical. Instead of fixing inherent problems in current model designs, like excessive premature tire and break wear, the executives always decide to basically just throw on a new body style and release it as next years model with all of the problems still intact.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 3:55:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here we are in the middle of a severe economic downturn and you are going to buy a foriegn vehicle? Even if we weren't in the midst of a recession you still have the nerve to post here that you are buying a foriegn vehicle?

Nothing but love for people like you.

No really, I hope your new foriegn vehicle provides you with many weeks of driving satisfaction.

View Quote

OK, stupidity like this NEEDS to be smacked in the nose. (I ended up buying a Toyota Camry)

1. USA dealership. I bought the car from an AMERICAN sales lady that lives in AMERICA. AMERICAN service techs got a JOB servicing my foreign car that I bought in AMERICA.

2. Toyotas are manufatured in AMERICA. Kentucky I believe. That would be in AMERICA. You've heard of Kentucky, I trust???????

3. Even the cars manufactured over seas have to be unloaded from the docks in AMERICA. That gives AMERICAN dock workers a job. And AMERICAN truck drivers who haul them to dealerships. And AMERICAN detailers who prep them for sale.

4. ANY purchase of ANY product bolsters the AMERICAN economy.

5. Rewarding American car manufacturers for the JUNK they make is rewarding mediocrity. CAN YOU SAY ARIES K-car????? The ONLY reason American quality isn't STILL Aries K-car level is because Americans STOPPED rewarding mediocrity and buying quality. Its called the free enterprise system. And it BENEFITS AMERICA when Americans DO NOT reward mediocrity.

[b]Congrats Maynard - you win [size=4]DUMB POST OF THE WEEK[/size=4] award.[/b]

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:01:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here we are in the middle of a severe economic downturn and you are going to buy a foriegn vehicle? Even if we weren't in the midst of a recession you still have the nerve to post here that you are buying a foriegn vehicle?

Nothing but love for people like you.

No really, I hope your new foriegn vehicle provides you with many weeks of driving satisfaction.

View Quote

OK, stupidity like this NEEDS to be smacked in the nose. (I ended up buying a Toyota Camry)

1. USA dealership. I bought the car from an AMERICAN sales lady that lives in AMERICA. AMERICAN service techs got a JOB servicing my foreign car that I bought in AMERICA.

2. Toyotas are manufatured in AMERICA. Kentucky I believe. That would be in AMERICA. You've heard of Kentucky, I trust???????

3. Even the cars manufactured over seas have to be unloaded from the docks in AMERICA. That gives AMERICAN dock workers a job. And AMERICAN truck drivers who haul them to dealerships. And AMERICAN detailers who prep them for sale.

4. ANY purchase of ANY product bolsters the AMERICAN economy.

5. Rewarding American car manufacturers for the JUNK they make is rewarding mediocrity. CAN YOU SAY ARIES K-car????? The ONLY reason American quality isn't STILL Aries K-car level is because Americans STOPPED rewarding mediocrity and buying quality. Its called the free enterprise system. And it BENEFITS AMERICA when Americans DO NOT reward mediocrity.

[b]Congrats Maynard - you win [size=4]DUMB POST OF THE WEEK[/size=4] award.[/b]
View Quote

Oh I am sooo tempted to tack this uptop!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:02:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Thnaks to all of you who gave ADVICE and not flames.

Well, based on several of your comments I ended up buying a '98 Toyota Camry with 25K. Wife is VERY pleased which is the most important part.  [BD]

Here she is (OK, one just like her)

[img]www.carmax.com/VehicleImages/1199913.jpg[/img]

Its the 4 cyl. NOT a screamer, but she goes along OK. HUGE trunk.

Thanks to MOST everyone here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top