Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2001 11:03:34 PM EDT
Oklahoma CLEET won't let me use an auto and I already paid for the class.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Just a little nudge before this fades out of sight.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a 590 Mariner.

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/013/Uz/zu/v3/Av12842.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#3]
How do you like it?Is the action slick of rough?Is the trigger group metal or plastic?

Opinions?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't quote me on this, I thought the

590 = plastic trigger group

590A = metal trigger group

[url]www.mossberg.com[/url]

edited to add link
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got two in today
Parked,ghost,bayont lug,speedfeed.
Not cheap
$395 shipped.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oklahoma CLEET won't let me use an auto and I already paid for the class.
View Quote

What Cleet course? The academy that I went through allowed us to use both pump & semi, but they wouldn't let us use Mossberg. It had to be Remington..
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#7]
WTF? wont let you use Mossberg. what BULLSH**. personally i use an FN Police but if the 590A1 is good enough for the Marine Corps it should be good enough for some jack-off civilian training. im not a big mossberg fan but i am T&O'd one with my unit and i wouldnt hesitate to carry it into a hot area. these civilian traning places piss me off. i cant believe you paid money to someone who dictated what kind of shotgun you should use. they are teaching PRINCIPLES and giving you experience. the fundamentals of employing a shotgun in a CQB environment so not change dependant on the brand of weapon you have.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Mossbergs are the gun industries way of punishing you for not being smart enough to spend the extra $80.00 on a Remington 870.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#10]
"Mossbergs are the gun industries way of punishing you for not being smart enough to spend the extra $80.00 on a Remington 870."

What kind of a comment is that??
The 590 Mossburg is a perfectly fine weapon.
Of course, we all know that a remington is the industies way of punishing those who choose not to spend the same amount of money on a Benelli.

Pound owner of a Benelli NOVA w/ Extended MAG, Ghost ring sights, and anti-recoil system for $400 NIB.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Mossbergs are the gun industries way of punishing you for not being smart enough to spend the extra $80.00 on a Remington 870."

What kind of a comment is that??
The 590 Mossburg is a perfectly fine weapon.
Of course, we all know that a remington is the industies way of punishing those who choose not to spend the same amount of money on a Benelli.

Pound owner of a Benelli NOVA w/ Extended MAG, Ghost ring sights, and anti-recoil system for $400 NIB.
View Quote

The Benelli statement is absolutely true. I stated as much on another thread. "The Benelli Nova is the ONLY reason NOT to buy a Remington 870. But onto the Mossberg, it is so close in price to a Remington with such a huge difference in terms of quality. I know many swear by their Mossbergs, but I know guys who are fond of their SKSs too.

The Mossberg would be typical of a US weapon IF we were a communist country. I can understand buying "affordable" guns and sacrificing quality for budget like those who buy Taurus. Taurus are great guns for a budget price. But Mossbergs are so close to Remington in terms of price the only thing sacrificed IS quality.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

OOOOHH, I see.  Of course, it costs far more than $80.00 to get an 870 to do what a Mossberg will do out-of-the-box.  Such things as a 9-shot mag tube, Speedfeed stock, ghost ring sights, and the safety will [b]still[/b] be in the wrong spot.  I'm not bad mouthing the Rem.'s, it's just silly to do same regarding the Mossy's, IMO.  I've owned both, the Rem. is gone, the Mossy is by my bed.
View Quote

The Remington has a safety?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I have to agree with Bee Keeper.
Sold the 870 and bought the 590A1
Besides everything else, it has a safety that a lefty can use.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got a 590 Mariner.

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/013/Uz/zu/v3/Av12842.jpg[/img]
View Quote

cool stock, i think i just found myself a trap gun (the pc dumbfucks gawk when people have *gasp* a ported barrel or a extension, they'd shit if I brought that thing to the field)

where to buy it? (or just mail me it for christmas)
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#16]
i havent seen mossbergs priced close to 870's maybe 590A1's but if you ask me, the smart moeny for a combat shotgun is the 500Persuader. i bought one at Wal-Mart 3 years ago for $189 and have seen them at galyans for $225. personally i dropped $389 on an FN Police Shotgun and i dont think i could do better without buying a benelli. check into the FN if you can find one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't over look the Winchester M1300 defender. Form the box with an extended mag. I got mine for $165 added a side saddle and Choate but stock and forend, after the First of the year I will be going to a top folding stock. I like this pump so much I got a 20 ga M1300 for dove  hunting.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:33:50 AM EDT
[#18]
by the way, the FN Police Shotgun utilizes the same short action and rotating bolt as the benelli.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
WTF? wont let you use Mossberg. what BULLSH**. personally i use an FN Police but if the 590A1 is good enough for the Marine Corps it should be good enough for some jack-off civilian training. im not a big mossberg fan but i am T&O'd one with my unit and i wouldnt hesitate to carry it into a hot area. these civilian traning places piss me off. i cant believe you paid money to someone who dictated what kind of shotgun you should use. they are teaching PRINCIPLES and giving you experience. the fundamentals of employing a shotgun in a CQB environment so not change dependant on the brand of weapon you have.
View Quote

I was referring to the police academy that I went through. I think the Remington policy might be that of the Sheriff's office and not CLEET, but in either case, I don't think it's appropriate to call it "some jack-off civilian training." After all, some of us "jack-off civilians" have had substantially more firearms traning than a majority of people enlisted in the armed forces.

Ian
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#20]
That Remington specification for your academy is due to a departmental directive.CLEET specifies that you use a 2.75" shell in a pump shotgun.No autos,no 3" shells.

And for those of you who say to get a Remington because it's better than a Mossberg.Remember that Remington's bid for the US shotgun contract failed.Even a steel recievered Remington will not last as long as an alloy recievered 590.It's a fact.Couple the low incedence of failures with ghost rings,speedfeed stock,high capacity and a very simple easily repaired mechanism and you have a shotgun that beats the crap out of a Remington for less money.You want a Remington to be all of the things that a 590 is you'll have to spend $1000+ for a Scattergun Tech model and then you still might not have as durable a shotgun as a 590.

For you Benelli guys how about those cracking recievers on those new M4 shotguns?That never happened with the Mossberg 9200A1s that were procured for counter narcotics duty by our forces in Columbia.Mossberg beat the Benelli for functional reliability  and durablity they just lacked two of the "featurte" that were in the bid spec for the Joint Service shotgun.

Gee I ask a question and everyody wants to tell me what a retard I am for choosing the toughest MilSpec shotgun in the world!

For those of you who tried to help me find one I just found some trade ins from Broken Bow police dept for $275.They have some cruiser wear but they are plenty solid.Thanks anyway guys.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#21]
[url]www.fultonarmory.com/Shotgun.htm[/url]

The  FN  "Police Shotgun"   IS a

Winchester 1300 Defender!!

[url]www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/catalog/md1300/md1300.htm[/url]

It uses the same rotating bolt design as the
Winchester!

[url]www.fnherstal.com[/url]
[url]www.fnfmg.com[/url]

FN Herstal owns U.S. Repeating Arms Corp. (USRAC)aka. Winchester

& Browning

[url]www.winchester-guns.com[/url]
[url]www.browning.com[/url]
[url]www.browningint.com[/url]

The same is essentially true of the FN Police Rifle[url]www.fultonarmory.com/PoliceRifle.htm[/url]

It is a Model 70 Winchester.

It's hybrid between the Model 70 Stealth/Heavy Barrel Varmint & the now discontinued Laredo.

Short action,claw extractor & H.S. precision stock.
 It does have some unique features.
The detachable magazine, phosphate finish & chrome bore on the special forged barrel.  
I'm not sure I like the idea of a chrome bore but everything else seems cool.

Just look at the owners manuals, these are identical as far as text,photos, & descriptions.

I really don't think the Winchester design has much in common with the Benelli Inertia Recoil design.  
Maybe the new Nova is similar, I dunno.
[url]www.benelliusa.com/inertia_recoil[/url]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't quote me on this, I thought the

590 = plastic trigger group

590A = metal trigger group

[url]www.mossberg.com[/url]
edited to add link
View Quote

Can anyone confirm this?

Could a metal trigger group be retrofitted to the standard 590's ??
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Isn't the 870 the only one of these that has
a Steel receiver ??

I think all the others use an alloy/aluminum receiver.

I remeber reading somewhere the 870 was the only one that SWAT teams etc. could really torque down a side saddle shell holder.

I dunno how imprtant that is.

Maybe I'm confusing this with the aluminum trigger guard housing on Rem 700 rifles ???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top