Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2001 6:49:00 PM EDT
Ever since I got broadband, I now have an Audiogalaxy addiction!  And my biggest pleasure is recouping all that great 80's punk I used to listen to as I spent my wasted youth on a skateboard!  Dead Kennedys, MDC, TSOL, Suicidal Tendencies, Agent Orange, Black Flag, The Vandals, etc.  Man, am I EVER havin' a blast hearing this garbage again.  I want to go out shooting with a ghetto blaster with this stuff blaring!  Woo hoo!  Skate, skate and destroy!  Only thing is now I'm a fat bald boring old dad.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You buying the ammo? [:D] I like old punk musically, just never did like the socio lyrics. I am still into listening to the fastest music I can find. Death metal rules my stereo most of the time. Punk was definitely an influence speed wise on DM.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the lyrics don't quite do it for me anymore, either!  It's funny, back then when I was a whiny angry teenager, I thought it all made sense.  Now, I just hear a bunch of angry teenagers in the same music.  But speedwise and sheer energy, it still kicks ass.  But I'm an anomoly anyhow.  I'm the only far-right, Libertarian, gun-totin', pickup drivin' Deadhead I know of!  Hearing that stuff again just literally brings back memories of a simpler time, back when I had it all figured out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah, I saw 76% Uncertain open for the Dead Kennedys at the Blue Horizon Ballroom in Philadelphia in 1984. I used to go to Trenton on the train to see 7Seconds.

Circle Jerks, Husker Du, Naked Raygun, definitely Suicidal Tendencies and Black Flag... Good stuff.

I still like Social D and other non-mainstream stuff, but I guess I have mellowed a bit. I should call my Dad and tell him, since I swore to him that I never would. [;)]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Used to be!  I still can't get enough of it.  I'm in my 30's and still listen to a lot of the old stuff, Sex Pistols, The Clash(which is the greatest band ever), Butthole Surfers, Misson Of Burma.

Some of the newer stuff is great as well, Rancid is the second coming of The Clash.  I just got my streaming MP3 server back up and running and the first thing I did was rip all my Rancid CD's to disk so I can listen to them at work tomorrow.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah, yes...

The Magnets, the Vapors, Generation X (when Billy Idol was talented), of course the Ramones, the Clash, Adam and the Ants (before he popped-out solo), Blondie, the whole CBGB set.  Brian Eno, Stiv Bators, Iggy Pop, Patty Smyth, Psychedelic Furs, Velvet Underground.

Also big into the rockabilly of the day, particularly Rockpile.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]

i still love it but i'm probably younger than you guys (23).  i'm into the more hardcore stuff now, i just got back from seeing Slayer in a really small club.  it was awesome.  after hearing nirvana i got into black flag, agent orange, social d, descendents, screeching weasel, the list goes on forever.  minor threat is my favorite though.  nothing beats a show where you can just walk up to the band and say 'nice set' and not get attitude, that's where punk could teach the mainstream a thing or two.
not to mention $5 shows.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
remember SLAM DANCING???

Today's mosh pits at a Pantera or Saliva show make 'slam dancing' look like American Bandstand.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
i don't know i saw pantera a couple months ago and it was pretty crazy...i wouldn't go near it, same for slayer...the nu-metal bands are crap.
swedish metal is where real metal is at right now.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Going on 40 and still very much part of the Punk scene . I still make it out to shows on a regular basis and have been playing bass in my band Niblick Henbane for 14 years.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#10]
In my misguided youth, for a very short time. Alot of the bands you guys mentioned bring back a few memories, most of those bands I haven't thought about in a long time. The only other bands I can remember are Metallica and the Surf Punks.
I still can't drink a pepsi without "All I wanted was a pepsi." running through my head.
'
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#11]
PUNK KICKS ASS DK, BLACK FLAG,SEX PISTOLS,THE VANDALS,POW,LIBERATION CRUCH,MINOR THREAT,AND C.O.C. MAN WERE THEM THE DAYS I STELL LISEN TO PUNK AND ALWAYS WILL![:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to listen to EXCEL nonstop.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Ramones (the first three albums anyways), Pistols, Dead Boys, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, the Clash (first two albums), Buzzcocks, Social D, DKs, Johnny Thunders, the Germs, Angry Samoans, Wasted Youth, the Dickies, Bad Brains, Suicidal Tendencies.  I guess as far as music goes I never have grown up.  I hope I never do!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:51:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, I saw 76% Uncertain open for the Dead Kennedys at the Blue Horizon Ballroom in Philadelphia in 1984. I used to go to Trenton on the train to see 7Seconds.

Circle Jerks, Husker Du, Naked Raygun, definitely Suicidal Tendencies and Black Flag... Good stuff.

I still like Social D and other non-mainstream stuff, but I guess I have mellowed a bit. I should call my Dad and tell him, since I swore to him that I never would. [;)]
View Quote
Ahhhhh,City Gardens in Trenton,NJ.Used to be a cool place to see concerts back in the 80's(and get flat tires from all the broken beer bottles in the parking lot..hehe).I wasn't much into hardcore at the time,but I did see Slayer at City Gardens (Megadeath opened for them)and I saw Motorhead at Tower Theater in Philly for "No Remorse" tour.........loudest band I've EVER seen live!Ears rang for 2 days after that one!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:28:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Used to be a complete nut for anything on the SST label.  D. Jr., the Huskers, and Minutemen, etc...

Still love the Minutemen (D. Boone was a genius afterall), and really surprise the hell out of my friends when I play their old stuff and they pick up all the lyrics with communist leanings[}:)]

I was/still am really into Husker Du, and then when they broke up I was into Pixies, and when they broke up I became a Helmet freak...  and now they're no more.  PLEASE SOMBODY TELL ME: IS THERE ANYTHING GOOD OUT THERE ANY MORE???
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Was there ever a better deal than live 80's punk shows?

I remember many, many shows featuring like 7 or 8 great bands for something like $6.

Here are a few of those bands that I've seen....

Bad Brains
Black Flag
JFA
M.D.C.
T.S.O.L.
Cro Mags
G.B.H.
Corrosion Of Conformity
D.R.I.
Dr.Know
D.K.'s
D.O.A.
Circle Jerks
Suicidal Tendencies
and about 100 more I probably could never recall.

Anyone ever read Flipside or Maximum Rock N Roll as a kid? Now those were the bibles of punk and hardcore!

P.S.- Anyone have, by chance, a copy of a compilation called "Welcome To Venice" featuring the Suicidal Tendencies, Excel, No Mercy....ect? It's long since out of print, but what a great album!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Used to be!  I still can't get enough of it.  I'm in my 30's and still listen to a lot of the old stuff, Sex Pistols, The Clash(which is the greatest band ever), Butthole Surfers, Misson Of Burma.
View Quote

low thirties, and still regard the Clash as the only band that ever mattered! i met Joe Strummer and his new band, the Mescaleroes, and i have to tell you, that man is still relavent, still kicking musical ass! man, remember the Anti-Nowhere League? the Exploited? i feel like grabbing some Agent Orange and shredding my deck!

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:53:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I loved the early punk, before it was actually termed "punk"...

Clash
Debra Harry ([i]before, during and after Blondie fame[/i])
Velvet Underground
Lou Reed
David Bowie
Dead Milkmen
Talking Heads
Oingo Boingo
Devo
Brian Eno
Adam Ant

In the late 80's, I had a chance to see the "Escape from New York" tour than consisted of Joey Ramone, Debra Harry and  Talking Heads...  but I got pneumonia and landed in the hospital instead!  [:(]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Ahhh...1981. The A7 Club in NYC.  Opened at 11:00pm--closed at 8:00am. 25 bands. More leather jackets than a Hells Angels reunion. Ears? WHAT!!??

Loved, and still listen to, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Buzzcocks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice to hear so many appreciate The Clash.

Lately I've been listening to Sandinista again. What a great album...those guys were way ahead of their time and way ahead of their peers....if you can call them that.
[img]www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/1028/pic_sandinista.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Loved it then and still love it now.  Listened to most of the bands already mentioned; Husker, 7 sec., Minutemen, the Clash, Sex Pistols, Suicidal Tendencies, Black Flag, Buzzcocks, Ramones, the Stooges, Minor Threat, The Damned, Bad Brains, etc.   I was also into a lot of the local bands who never got very far.  Anyone heard of or remember a band called "Kingface" I think from the DC area?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Who? [}:D]

Ice- not into punk, but loud and fast and evil music
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Punk lives!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Dear Abby,
Got a problem. I’m a decent, underpaid, hardworking county coroner. It’s important that my family eat meat at least three times a week. But we just can’t afford to with the prices the way they are. So I bring home some choice cuts from my autopsy subjects. Just mix in the Tuna Helper…and ta-da!

The whole family thinks my new meals are delicious. They ask me what’s my secret. Abby, I think they’re getting suspicious. My smart-ass 8-year-old keeps asking, “Where’s all the meat? The red dye #2 kind that’s kept in the fridge.”

If they find out the truth I don’t think they’ll understand. Abby, what do I tell my family?

DEAR REAGANOMICS VICTIM: Consult your clergyman. Make sure the body’s blessed and everything should be just fine

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#25]
All I wanted was a Pepsi....
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm an old punk too.  I can't believe no one mentioned the Misfits.  Man, that was the main band I listened to way back when.  I recently heard some new Misfits and it brought back a lot of memories.  Even without Danzig, the current version of the Misfits still has the same spirit.  And best of all, they weren't/aren't political!  That's what made me stop listening to most punk music.  I got old enough to actually understand what the lyrics meant.  Over the last few years I really got into Oi! music.  Not the white power crap though.  Stuff like Dropkick Murphys.
USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#27]
******SLIPKNOT*******nuff said
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Snerdly your in Niblick Helbaine.  Funny i ordered a 7" from you guys in the early 90s.  
I was always into slightly more obscure non-mainstreme stuff.
Nausea
fleas and Lice
destroy
code-13 Felix is a progun mad man
naked aggresion
aus-rotten
Blitzkrieg
infa riot
detestation
ambiex
and most of the other crust core stuff.  I guess I have a few others I like like social D and the such.  USPC40 you are correct it is hard to beat the Misfits.

Up the Punx
Jim
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Dude, Felix Havoc is awesome.  When the cops came and broke up Chicage fest this past year, he was telling them all to F-off, and to get away he jumped through a window, he still got caught, but that was pretty tuff.  The cops were just doing their jobs, but it was still rad.  

Kevin
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Used to be? 27 years old and still am. There's so many new great bands out there right now, it's hard to keep track of them all. Refreshing after the drought of the mid nineties.

Snerdley, Niblick Henbane huh? I still got a copy of "What's Your Deal?" on green and white vinyl. Actually, there's a pretty funny story about me singing your bands version of Angel Of The Morning at Karaoke night at a country bar. It was an ugly drunken mess. I didn't realize that you guys were still around until Frank down at Crash and Burn turned me on to your newest CD (awesome by the way).  

Anyway, I don't think that I'll ever get Oi!/Punk/Hardcore out of my system. Just a part of who I am I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top