Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2008 6:39:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I want to read that, it looks really good.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Very cool,...........heading to bookstore after lunch.

ETA: Just got back...........book in hand, thx.Zhukov.

Link Posted: 7/6/2008 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Dupity,  dupity,  dupe.  Though under a different title and in a different section of the website.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=219&t=162043
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 7:05:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dupity,  dupity,  dupe.  Though under a different title and in a different section of the website.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=219&t=162043

Quoted:
Hopefully this isn't a dupe; I know there's a small thread in the LaRue forum, but I figured that this deserved a wider audience...

part in red
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like a Brad Thor book. I've read two of his books. They are damn good. He rivals or may even exceed Tom Clancy in talent.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
part in red

Shoot first and ask questions later.  I know I've seen another one somewhere.  Its all good.  I bow out gracefully after being slapped back into place.

Took me a minute to realize that was the small thread in question.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Does it really say "ComM4" or did you do that typing it out?

Link Posted: 7/6/2008 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Harvath reached over and took down his custom built, short-barreled LaRue M4 "stealth" tactical rifle. It looked like an ordinary door-kicker weapon, but was anything but. It was so incredibly accurate that with the right high-powered optics on it, Harvath could shoot three-inch groups at six hundred yards.

LOL..... WOW, 3" groups at 600 yards witha  short barreled M4 stealth this guy must be some sort of secret Squirrel Ninja SEAL Recon Sniper.... (I know its fiction, but WOW that is far fetched)
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Harvath reached over and took down his custom built, short-barreled LaRue M4 "stealth" tactical rifle. It looked like an ordinary door-kicker weapon, but was anything but. It was so incredibly accurate that with the right high-powered optics on it, Harvath could shoot three-inch groups at six hundred yards.

LOL..... WOW, 3" groups at 600 yards witha  short barreled M4 stealth this guy must be some sort of secret Squirrel Ninja SEAL Recon Sniper.... (I know its fiction, but WOW that is far fetched)

If Im not mistaken I remember Larue himself posting some quite small groups shot with his uppers, maybe not that small but I remember being impressed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No more far fetched than the shooting in Unintended Consequences.

And since this is Texas.......well you know...

Link Posted: 7/6/2008 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does it really say "ComM4" or did you do that typing it out?

My bad - it's a typo.

Glad I checked before busting out the "all the gear, no idear" line.  

Easy to understand when transcribing for an internet post.  Pretty much unforgivable in a book where guns and technical aspects of guns are involved.

Link Posted: 7/6/2008 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag so I can remember the name of the book.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#16]
so mark, are you changing your name to BB-Q?
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If Im not mistaken I remember Larue himself posting some quite small groups shot with his uppers, maybe not that small but I remember being impressed.

Now I wasnt busting chops.. i mean 3" groups at 600 yards would be possible, with the right tools in he hands of highly trained highly motivated individuals.  Even a 14.5" or an 11.5" barrell, BUT it would be few and far between.

I just noted the writing style seems a little more glitz and glam than accurate.  But, when in rome.....

I am gonna get the book too, just because I own some LaRue stuff, and I am a GunKnurd.....

Link Posted: 7/6/2008 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#18]
That excerpt really does sound like what you'd get if you asked a gunrag writer to pen a novel.

Lots of back-thumping and shopping lists of go-fast gear.

Saw pretty much the same thing in Unintended Consequences...
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#19]
ok... I've looked my mount over and over and didn't see anything about living or dieing.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Larue Tactical kicks ass
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ok... I've looked my mount over and over and didn't see anything about living or dieing.

Probably only on weapons would be my guess

It's on the rail systems. I don't recall ever seeing it on any of the mounts, though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#23]
UGH I passed this book up when I first saw it at Borders.

Supposedly it's got ideas in it that Glenn Beck is convinced will get Thor killed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably only on weapons would be my guess

It's on the rail systems. I don't recall ever seeing it on any of the mounts, though.

It's written on the threads of the battery storage caps. J/k its on their rails guys, maybe some of you should use it as an excuse to pick up a few? They make great mantelpieces all by themselves too, if you don't happen to have an AR
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#25]
the previous thor novels are very troy heavy.  I've got the new one coming my way....
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I've heard of Thor before, but I've never read any of his books. I just ordered his first book from Amazon. Sounds a lot like Vince Flynn, his books are always fun to read.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#28]
hi books are amazing.  timely. and packed with interesting details that actually mean something - like why harvath carried a troy or a larue or an HK -  unlike a certain whispering TV host who just spews nonsense.

also thor's books would make WIIIIICKED movies.  

but ollywood would PC them into harvath fighting new mexico minutemen bent on raising the price of gas while turning ANWR into a detainee camp for a new wave of renditions against peace loving arabs.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 3:38:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
hi books are amazing.  timely. and packed with interesting details that actually mean something - like why harvath carried a troy or a larue or an HK -  unlike a certain whispering TV host who just spews nonsense.

also thor's books would make WIIIIICKED movies.  

but ollywood would PC them into harvath fighting new mexico minutemen bent on raising the price of gas while turning ANWR into a detainee camp for a new wave of renditions against peace loving arabs.

Thor was a story consultant on the season of "24" I enjoyed most - the one with "Marwan" (I forget which season # it was)... IIRC he's also a member of a thinktank or at least has had his brain picked by the .gov regarding terrorism.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Nice

Ive got a Borders gift card kicking around ..........looks like Ive got another to add to my list
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#33]
wroung thread

edit
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey Mark, you need a volunteer to prove that a 3" group can be had out of a well made short upper. Hell, 1/2 MOA is not that far fetched at 600yds.

Solidly mounted optics, good ammo and a calm morning along with no coffee for breakfast, any decent Rifleman should be able to duplicate that feat. Ron
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#36]
75 pages into the book now... He writes a taut thriller!

He needs to be an Arfcommer
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top