Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2001 10:59:21 PM EDT
I have photoshop 5.5 and have no idea how to use it? Any pointers? the online manual doesn't help much. Any ideas where I can get a tutorial so I can make some cool Mall Ninja pics?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, I wish I could help ya, but I use Microsoft "Picture It!" (I was rather hoping to see a pic which needed "surgery")
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I ain't read to learned nothing about photoshop is done.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I use Microsoft "Picture It!
View Quote

I have that program too. Thats what I use to make some good pics, but I think photoshop is more of a quality program if I could just figure it out.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a graphic designer by day & use Photoshop all the time. As far as pointers, that's a tough one. The program and all its features is huge. I could probably answer most specific questions but you may want to go to the Adobe website and go to tips & tricks (they even have them in streaming video now) and try out one of the little "projects" that will at least get you using some of the tools. Then just pull up a sample picture and fool around with it, trying out all the different tools.

For "mall ninja" pics (like putting someones head on anothers body) you will most likely use the lasso tool followed by the movement tool. Make sure to try the layers function, layers really help a lot.

If you have any questions you can email me.

Later.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I got it sumo! thanks for the good advise!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 12:24:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the "magic wand" and "eraser" tool a lot.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p1716419e0cdf31cd79cd9d7c75c2d1b3/fe3403b3.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I ain't read to learned nothing about photoshop is done.
View Quote

Here is a sample of Imbrog|io's handywork.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p313ab94a823f44c79f669eb52eec6930/fe1d1376.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#8]
OK my first attempt

Sorry SgtKiwi [:(]

[img]http://members.aol.com/hk40usp/images/JOJOnDATE.jpg[/img]

How do I lighten up his face and smooth out the rough edges?
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK my first attempt

View Quote

What's wrong with his face?  Just looks like he had one too many.

Not sure about the facial lightening, but you can use the eraser tool and remove the "rough" edges around JoJo's head.  Just resize the tool and zoom up close for a better perspective.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OK my first attempt

View Quote

For lightening his face, first: select the layer that has his face on it, then go to, I think (going on memory here) adjust, then levels. Then you can tweak it, you may also have to blur and or sharpen to get it to match. as for the rough edges, with the lasso around his face, try reducing your selection, then feather between 1 and 3 pixels (depending on resolution) then invert your selection and hit delete. This should smooth and also help to "blend" the image a bit. you can also work on the size of the head to get it just right. The eraser tool could help too, just make sure which brush you have selected as there is a big difference between them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:19:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK my first attempt

View Quote

For lightening his face, first: select the layer that has his face on it, then go to, I think (going on memory here) adjust, then levels. Then you can tweak it, you may also have to blur and or sharpen to get it to match. as for the rough edges, with the lasso around his face, try reducing your selection, then feather between 1 and 3 pixels (depending on resolution) then invert your selection and hit delete. This should smooth and also help to "blend" the image a bit. you can also work on the size of the head to get it just right. The eraser tool could help too, just make sure which brush you have selected as there is a big difference between them.
View Quote

Hey thanks for the tips Sumo2k!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Photoshop is a bear!!

Suggest you get a copy of “Adobe Photoshop 6 for Dummies”.  It is well written and reasonably priced.  

Actually a copy of “Adobe Photoshop 5 for Dummies” would be better since that’s the version you’ve got.  However, it’s out of print.  Maybe you could find it at a used book store.

Also try your local library; they’ve probably got Photoshop how-to books.  However, these books may be constantly checked out.

The on-line manual is terrible!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got the gimp.  I've been reading up on it recently.  Fun stuff.  Paired with a digital camera and your imagination is the limits.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#15]
SKSseven, the best way to learn photoshop is to just use it.  The only thing that really hung me up for a while was the concept of layers.  Once you get that, you should be fine.  My first attempt at a face transplant:

[img]users.upstate.net/zoom/baby_jojo.gif[/img]

z
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:12:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
SKSseven, the best way to learn photoshop is to just use it.  The only thing that really hung me up for a while was the concept of layers.  Once you get that, you should be fine.  My first attempt at a face transplant:

[img]users.upstate.net/zoom/baby_jojo.gif[/img]

z
View Quote

Well...it's a start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top