Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/24/2001 7:57:38 PM EDT
I really love my '94 Z28.  It's not the fastest, coolest car out there, but dollar for dollar, it is (arguably) the best hot rod/sports car out there.  I think GM screwed up when they dropped the RWD Impala/Caprice line and here they go again.

Good news though!!!  I've heard rumors from VERY credible sources that the Camaro will be back in the near future (2005 or so???)  Unfortunately, no positive feedback on the Firebird at this time.  Growing up watching Smokey and the Bandit, Rockford Files and Knight Rider, I've always wanted a Trans Am.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed at the very least!

BBURN
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I am sure they will keep it off the market for a few years, design the body to look like the late 60's styling and then reintroduce it when the demand is through the roof.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Our trailer park is in mourning! [:P]

DaMan
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I was saddened by the demise of the Nissan 300ZX, Toyota Supra, Mazda RX-7. The Camaro and Firebird are cool too, but it won't break my heart to see them go. But with the loss of these cars, it appears we are going to be doomed to a life of 2.0L FWD cars.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I can honestly say that will miss the camaro and firebireds. Even though I am a youngin  in some peoples eye I love the styling of the classics.  And yes the 67-74 Camaros and firebird are truly classics.  Even though the 68 Shelby GT 500 will be my all time e favorite car I still can help but  desire the old Camaros and screamin chickens.  Yes I am a redneck and yes I believe that the 77 Trans Am with the  T-Tops is still one of the coolest cars ever built.  What saddens me is that even though I am a gun freak and will always concentrate my money on guns, I will probably never possess one of these fine machines. I consider myself a lucky man, but even though I will always drive a fine automobile (yes I consider my 96 3/4 ton 4x4 regular cab cheyenne a fine machine because it never gives me any trouble and it does give me a lot of joy) whether it be a classic or not.  I can only hope that I will somehow own and enjoy one of these extraordinary machines.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#7]
You don't have to like F-cars to know they have a place in hotrodding.

We in America are down to Vipers that nobody has,Covetters that nobody can drive right,and Stangs that nobody can make run as fast as the old days........[:(]

This is way a buy truck now,there is no way in hell I'll drive a lil. 4 banger with a sideways motor!
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I had an '88 Z28, '91 Trans Am, '93 Formula, '95 and '98 Trans Ams.  Never did care what the cheese and whine crowd thought of them.  I fear they will return in 3-5 years on a FWD platform .  Nothing is sacred anymore.  Guess I'll drive unpolitically correct, gas guzzling SUVs.

Eddie
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#9]
BBURN
It will be a sad day when the F body is no more. I had a 74 Formula for 10 years that I had alot of fun with. I too was inspired by Smokey and the Bandit and Rockford Files.

These Fast and Furious import low riders with 30 inch wings and 4 inch exhaust are driving me nuts (although I teach them some respect for their USA born elders at each stoplight I get the oppurtunity in my 70 GTO). I hate to think this is the only choice of hot rodding for todays youth.

big_bore is right that we only have 3 muscle cars left and 2 are not affordable.

[v]    [:(!]    [xx(]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#10]
They might be bringing the Camaro back with some sort of retro-60's look.  Kinda like what they did to the new T-Bird.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:55:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe I should reconsider selling my WS6 Formula?
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:02:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe I should reconsider selling my WS6 Formula?
View Quote

I drove my friend's 2000 SS and it was pretty juicy.  No mods.  Decent passing power even in sixth gear!

Don't sell it!  The next WS6 might be FWD!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 4:09:30 AM EDT
[#13]
YES, sad, I am sooo sad! Truly!

These cars have been around for a long time,
they will be missed...

....besides,
whats a MOPAR owner to smoke these days!!!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Sure Camaros and Birds are nice cars, but nothing can ever replace the awesome "K" cars such as the beautiful 1981 Reliant - hehehe

Ropes [0:)]

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was saddened by the demise of the Nissan 300ZX, Toyota Supra, Mazda RX-7
View Quote
The RX8 will be out sometime late 2002-early 2003.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought a 1996 Impala SS (B body)right after GM announced they were killing it.  Look what GM replaces it with!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
...Covetters that nobody can drive right,...
View Quote

Hey, I resemble that remark! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Covetters that nobody can drive right,...
View Quote

Hey, I resemble that remark! [:D]
View Quote

No shit, I have a 2000 Hardtop and I leave the Active Handling System on full time.  Nothing like hittting 120 mph in 3rd with 3 to go.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#20]
What is an even bigger tragedy is the ending of the Oldsmobile line...the second oldest name in cars in the world.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I’ve owned two 67’s (one of them a convertible) and a 75. I think their good cars, but I don’t care for the new body style. You just can’t beat a big block with a Muncie four speed!!

Here is a pic of my current 67. It’s a California car, a real RS/SS.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/yd/jK/OB/4t58682.jpg[/img]

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/020/JM/2D/4L/4u43731.jpg[/img]

I think that like most companies sales will dictate what models they keep in their inventory. If no one is buying them, they’ll move on to something else. They could change the body style again and see if that works.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#22]
yep them were hell of cars I lost my virginity in the back seat of a 1979 camaro to my sister that car was hot it even had a foot print gas pedel!!! hehehehe

[peep]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
yep them were hell of cars I lost my virginity in the back seat of a 1979 camaro to my sister that car was hot it even had a foot print gas pedel!!! hehehehe

[peep]
View Quote

I hope I'm reading this wrong. You leave out a period or something??

I am very sad to see the F-body go. It's funny how GM claims sales are down, but there is a Camaro/Trans Am on every street corner. These icons of American muscle should continue on. I think I'll have a week long mourning session that involves skipping work and driving the Trans Am around for 7 days straight.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#25]
It's a tragic day for mulletheads everywhere.
[img]www.mulletsgalore.com/logos/merchandise/stickers/3stickers.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Man I think it is great they discontinued them. Just makes the price of my 67 RS SS which I have owned since 70, go up and up and up. Now if they would only discontinue those POS Corvette's!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Now if they would only discontinue those POS Corvette's!
View Quote

Have you driven a C5 Corvette?
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#29]
raf -

I'd be happy to meet you on a road course with whatever it is you drive on the street today and show you just what a car with a live rear axle is capable of.

90% of what a car does on the road is a reflection of the capability of the driver, not the car.  An acquaintance of mine lost the use of his legs in a motorcycle accident, he races an almost bone stock 94 Firebird in a couple of open class series in the VA area (under the name "No Feet Racing" IIRC). He rarely finishes out of the top 3 and most of his competition is driving Porsche and BMW cars.

And I think the point of the original post was that there hasn't been a better performance value for the big HP driving enthusiast other than the f-body for quite a few years.  Even now, you can buy a 305HP (under-rated) Camaro Z28 for ~ $22k.  If you're looking for a powerful car with a lot of potential, there isn't a better deal.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not too sad. I bought a new '69 Camaro at the end of '68. It turned out to be a major lemon of the type most people only read about. Everything you could imagine went wrong on it. I only drove a couple miles to work, and never knew if my new car would get me there and back. Many times it didn't. It spent as much time in the dealer's service bays as in my garage. I sold the POS after a year and lost a bundle just to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow thanks for all the replies everyone!  I see I'm not the only car buff here.  

raf, I understand the whole IRS deal you speak of. However, I don't think you should let go of the desire for a classic car line with as much heritage and following that the F-bodies enjoy over one "part" if you will.  All of the enthusiasts over on the web-boards I read are calling for the new F-body to remain true to the V-8 RWD platform.  Then, refinements could be made over previous generations and could include the IRS.  I think the whole idea of IRS making an F-body too expensive is outdated as well.  Technology for IRS is already available in several GM vehicles.  As you said times are changing and these cars can change as well.

Finally, the right people are moving into the right positions at GM.  I fully expect Bob Lutz to send a memo over to Scott Settlemire one day in the near future telling him that he likes their Camaro concept and that it's a go!!!  I only hope that Pontiac gets the nod for a Firebird/Trans Am brother.

BBURN
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#33]
As far as I'm concerned the Camaro died in 69 .
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I have heard rumors for a couple of years about this now its true.My favorites are the 67-68 camaros some day i'll get one.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, a lot of people love the original.  I know I do!!!  How many of you have driven a '98 or newer equipped with the LS1 V-8 though!  Holy crap, my '94 is fast, but the newest ones are awesome.  I drove a '99 Z28 6-speed about six months ago and didn't want to give the keys back!  For low to mid $20K, it is a helluva ride!

I will have a Corvette one day, but until then, GM guys like me need a less expensive alternative for living the V-8 RWD hotrod dream.  After all, I have a wife AND a kid so I need the back seat occasionally.  When I can afford my Vette and my truck simultaneously, I will still love the F-bodies.

BBURN
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#37]
The Alpha and Omega of ponycars....The Mustang.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Alpha and Omega of ponycars....The Mustang.
View Quote

Sure. Run one against a 2001 Ram-Air Trans Am. The new stangs just don't measure up.

I do think Ford has a good idea selling the Mustangs a little cheaper. If GM would wise up and drop the price on the F-body they might sell a few more cars. Keep in mind the bread and butter market for these cars has always been the 6 banger base models. The Mustangs are quite cheaper and out selling the Camaro/Firebirds bigtime.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#39]
455SD you are correct.  I have spanked many Mustang GT's that are newer than my '94 Z28.  It's no contest!  And the newest F cars are plenty faster than mine.

I think GM did a poor job of advertisement as well.  If they don't make an effort then they shouldn't expect results.

BBURN
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#40]
i love my 94 Ttop V6 firebird. sure its not a big v8 engine, but its still plenty fast enough to catch tickets ;). all info except the impending death of the Firebird/Camaro line. been reading Fbod newsgroups for some time. some claim a return (from a reliale source) and some claim no return (again from a reliable source). its a wait and see.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#41]
QCMGR- Have I driven the newer ones NO. But that is not my reason for caling the Corvette a POS. I got a REAL raw deal from GM when I bought my 87 Corvette. All I heard from them was "We understand but that is not our policy". So the last time they used that phrase on me I said "I understand, but Hell will freeze over before I buy another new GM vehicle".
That POS vette has sat in my garage for the last 7 years only has 16k on it. I view it like a stock I won't lose money unless I sell it, and maybe one day it will increase in value. Until then it can sit there gathering dust, Actually it is covered.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
As far as I'm concerned the Camaro died in 69 .
View Quote

Have to agree with you there.  In '67, I bought a new '67 Camaro RS, 327, 4 speed for $3,200.  It was an amazing car -  smoked them Mustangs all day long.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#43]
By dieing in '69 are you guys saying that the newer models don't have the original Camaro spirit?  Are you thinking they've lost their "simplicity" and bargain value or what?  Just curious.  I think I kind of understand what you mean.

Believe me when I tell you that the newer ones are a lot of fun too.  I always try to be as open minded as possible when it comes to these cars.  A lot of people are always talking about the F-body being outdated for lack of overhead cam, multi-valve engines and because of their live axles and a host of other things.  I don't really care about that a whole lot.  These cars have a lot of power from their old push-rod engine design and they are as reliable as heck when properly maintained.  And if/when something goes wrong, the parts are inexpensive compared to all of this so called newer/better technology.

The safety gear is really hurting them too.  They are weighted down by air bags, ABS brakes, traction control, impact beams for every direction and etc.  In defense of GM, it is getting more and more difficult to build sports cars due to the ever evolving safety regulations.

Hmmm, maybe I love 'em so much because they are just about as politically incorrect as it gets!!!

BBURN
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Nope. Mustangs rule.....
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sure. Run one against a 2001 Ram-Air Trans Am. The new stangs just don't measure up.

View Quote

True, my brother has the 2001 Ram Air and it smokes a stock Mustang. But, it costs $30,000. Put a grand or two of bolt-ons into the 'Stang and it will be faster. I think Mustangs are also a better car than their GM counterparts and will last longer. But check out the 2002 Ram Air. The dealer told us that it will be the last year and it is supposed to be 360 HP!  
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#46]
If anybody has a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T hardtop with the 440 six-pack in black for sale, Send pictures.  I might be interested.

I heard they were going to bring the Charger back a few years ago, but that idea got the axe.  At least for now.

If Camaro or Firebird come back, they will have some stupid hybrid engine or somthing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
QCMGR- Have I driven the newer ones NO. But that is not my reason for caling the Corvette a POS. I got a REAL raw deal from GM when I bought my 87 Corvette. All I heard from them was "We understand but that is not our policy". So the last time they used that phrase on me I said "I understand, but Hell will freeze over before I buy another new GM vehicle".
That POS vette has sat in my garage for the last 7 years only has 16k on it. I view it like a stock I won't lose money unless I sell it, and maybe one day it will increase in value. Until then it can sit there gathering dust, Actually it is covered.
View Quote

I know what you mean.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I too liked the older (pre '74) styles.  But one car I do miss is the AMX.  A 1970 model 390cid with a four-speed would just about blow the doors off anything.  But, alas, the time have changed, and now all we have are little imports that buzz around town with those annoying mufflers.  God I hate those things.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#49]
BBURN        Quote
[By dieing in '69 are you guys saying that the newer models don't have the original Camaro spirit? Are you thinking they've lost their "simplicity" and bargain value or what? Just curious. I think I kind of understand what you mean.]I just feel that the cars got too bulky and lost the original lines that I liked so much .
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I am sure they will keep it off the market for a few years, design the body to look like the late 60's styling and then reintroduce it when the demand is through the roof.
View Quote

you can count on it!

A low volume retro coupe, probably just the Camaro, with some kind of LS1 derivative.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top