Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2001 4:09:28 PM EDT
I was thinking, is it better to be a good rifleman or a good handgun shooter in practical real life situations?  I would say it would be handgunning even though I shoot rifles MUCH better.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say a handgun because you can carry a pistol without being noticed in public much easier than carrying a rifle.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to be a good shot with either...practice, practice, practice!
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Would a submachinegun be included in the rifle catagory?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]
... Because my handguns are [i]available[/i] far more often than my rifles are I've chosen to master the pistols first.

... Besides, it always impresses the womenz when you can repeatedly clang a 6" steel target at 50 yards with your .45 when most of the other guys in the group are all proud and shit when & if they tag the same target with a long gun!

[img]http://www.geocities.com/geodanny/gifs/jollyroger/firing_gun.gif[/img]

(broak spell checker)
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
There's an old Mexican saying - something like "The man with the rifle usually wins."
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#7]
For me it's a handgun.  I carry and figure it would be much better to have a accurate pistol skill when and if it comes time to give some poor bastard a lead supplement...
[50]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
A submachine gun would be in the submachine gun category [:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#9]
In my honest opinion, being a good shot with a pistol is much easier that being a good rifleman.  A pistol is the last weapon besides a knife that i would want to do combat with.  For close range a shotgun is the best alternative. However this creates a problem. A shotgun is difficult if not almost impossible to conceale.  This is the reason a shotgun is ruled out unless ou are defending against a home intruder. For common defense situaltions, such as a mugging or a robbery a person armed with a pistol does not have to be that good of a shot.  Since the distance of most confrontations are under 10ft away a person will only have to hit an area roughly 2ft by 3ft.  Such a shot is extremely easy if you train with your weapon at least one a week.  Now being a good rifleman is much harder. Now really think about this for a min, if you are shooting a rifle more than likely you are aiming at a target anywhere from 25 to 1000 yard away. There is much more to take into consideration when you try a shot.  Distance is the main one.  Most people have a hard time judging anything past 100 yards.  Wind is another factor, and yes even with a large caliber wind still has quite a bit of effect on the bullets flight path.  In the heavy winds of the panhandle you would be suprised how much the wind will affect a bullet.  Basically you must ultmatly decide wich kind of shooting you will mostly be doing.  If you are a rifle hunter place your emphasis on the rifle. If you are more worried of what will happen when TSHTF, concentrate on tactical or a battle type shooting.  As for me  I concentrate on the rifle.  I have little use for a pistol and am more interested in the hunting aspect of shooting.  However i do not neglect the pistol, i always make time to practice at the range with my Colt 1911. After all you never know what is going to turn up wheather it will be a deer or a crazy bastard that wants to kill you in that dark alley
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Use your pistol to get to your rifle.  That's the only way to do it.  A rifle usually means more firepower and greater range.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#11]
As a resident in a concealed carry state, I'm with Waverunner and Winston on this one.  If someone tries to shishkabob me at the ATM machine, I don't think running home to grab a long gun would be an option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top