Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2001 11:21:57 AM EDT
Woo hoo!  A nice 9 pointer, 150 lbs.  This is number 2 for the season.  I am using a .270 with 130 g CXP2 Win.  It is the most awsome bullet I have used for the .270.  The wounds look like the deer had been hit with a 7mm.  
I would also like to know why a lot of people here frown on trophy hunters?  It is almost like if you aren't shooting does then you are some mean, unethical person.  Anyway I have a wall mate for my massive 8 that I shot 7 years ago.
Happy Hunting to all!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations, the Wife and I are going whitetail hunting this week. I can't hardly wait. Hope I can also put another big one on the wall, actually I would rather the Wife clobber a big one, she is due.
Once again, congrats,
Tuco
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...I am using a .270 with 130 g CXP2 Win.  It is the most awsome bullet I have used for the .270.  The wounds look like the deer had been hit with a 7mm. ...
View Quote

First, good job!  It has been several years since I have been able to hunt due to moves and losing contacts.  Sure would like to find someone who has the connections around here.

What really prompted my responce is the minute difference between the cartridges you are comparing.  .270 is .277, and 7mm is .284, a difference of only .007 or about the thickness of 2 sheets of writting paper.  The wound SHOULD look like a 7mm.  I'm not knocking your cartridge or flaming you or anything.  Heck, I like 'em all, and I'm sure you are a great American!  I just don't see the "big" difference in wounding potential between two projectiles within .007", .007 of a pound (assuming 130gn compared to 140gn), and 300fps.

I'm not out to bust yer balls.  I'm just stumped about the comparison is all.  Once again, good job, and at least one of us got to go hunting!

Semper Fi    
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...I am using a .270 with 130 g CXP2 Win.  It is the most awesome bullet I have used for the .270.  The wounds look like the deer had been hit with a 7mm. ...
View Quote

First, good job!  It has been several years since I have been able to hunt due to moves and losing contacts.  Sure would like to find someone who has the connections around here.

What really prompted my responce is the minute difference between the cartridges you are comparing.  .270 is .277, and 7mm is .284, a difference of only .007 or about the thickness of 2 sheets of writting paper.  The wound SHOULD look like a 7mm.  I'm not knocking your cartridge or flaming you or anything.  Heck, I like 'em all, and I'm sure you are a great American!  I just don't see the "big" difference in wounding potential between two projectiles within .007", .007 of a pound (assuming 130gn compared to 140gn), and 300fps.

I'm not out to bust yer balls.  I'm just stumped about the comparison is all.  Once again, good job, and at least one of us got to go hunting!

Semper Fi    
View Quote

No prob....that is kinda my point.  If you use the right bullet .270, .280, .284, 7mm and .30-06 are basically the same.  Personally my next large game rifle will be a .338 win mag.  I also hear a lot of 7mm is too big for deer makes a mess. It is only if you hit it in the wrong area!  I shot this one head on....he bent down to take a bite to eat and I shot him where the neck, spine and shoulders meet.  Took every thing out, backbone, shoulder joint, vitals on into the "abdominal area" just massive bleeding. For all hunters I seriously recommend the Winchester CXP2 load for deer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top