Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2001 7:01:19 AM EDT
Hey guys, I went shopping last night for a scope.  I looked at both the Leupold scopes and the Springfield scopes.  I found that the Springfield looked just as bright as the Leupold.  The Springfield had the added features of a reticle that zooms, reticle lights bright green, and it has a bubble level.  I think I am going to take the Springfield GE5099 over the Leupold 4-14x50 LRT.  Does anyone know what the warranty is like for the Springfield scopes?  Anyone had any problems with the Springfield?

Scott
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#1]
For a guy who earlier this year has standardized on Leupold this is an odd response.

A couple of months ago I sold a hard to get rifle to an...."operator."  We talked scopes for a few minutes and he informed me his folks were chucking the Leupold's and moving to Nightforce.
Stranger and stranger turns out we had a mutual acquaintance and I confirmed the shift with this guy.
(Offered under for what it's worth and probably not very much !)
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a 4-14x40 for my AR and have had no problems with it after about 1k rounds through the rifle with it mounted.  

The warrany is "Limited Lifetime".  If any damage is caused by YOUR carelessness, negligence, misuse....you are SOL.  They will cover the rest.

Semper Fi

(Edited to reduce the confusion factor)
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to hate Leupold scopes because they were some old fashioned primitive BS but they have finally got their act together and made something useful.

Here is my next scope

[img]http://www.leupold.com/images/CQT_1-3x14mm.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.leupold.com/images/CQT_wBattery.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.leupold.com/images/CQT_Police_Illus.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#4]
DPeacher, which brand did you have problems with ?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]
sopmodm4, any spec's on that fine looking puppy ??
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a 1-4 power,14mm with an illuminated"doughnut of death" reticle.It's a US Optics SN-4 ripoff that is just different enough to get by legally.I think the addition of rails is kinda like ground effects on a 4x4 but it makes the housing beefier so I won't complain.The nice thing is that it uses plain old AA batteries(can you say solar charger?) and the reticle is visible even when it is not illuminated.I'll bet it's a damned sight cheaper than the US Optics piece as well.It has "diamond coat" lenses(remember the Bauch and Lomb sunglasses that would stand up to a brillow pad?).I know that it won't compare to the US Optics unit optically but for daytime use it should be just fine and for half the price I'll sure as hell make a little compromise.

[url]http://www.leupold.com/pi_cqt.html[url/]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
DPeacher, which brand did you have problems with ?
View Quote

I didn't say I had problems with any brand in my responce.  But since you asked... I had the reticle come loose in a Tasco "Lumina" 3-12x40 mounted on a H&R SB2 Ultra in .223 Rem.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know where Springfield gets their optics?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#9]
dPeacher, which brand did you have "zero" problems with ?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a large Springfield on my Barrett M82 50-cal.  After a lot of shock, it is still as good as new and I am very happy with it.  The illuminated reticle and other features are very nice on the Springfield - I would recommend them.  I got a great deal at swfa's sample site: [url]http://www.samplelist.com/[/url].

Looks like they have a 4-14x56 1st Gen, Gov't reticle for .308 with bullet drop and rangefinding reticle, light ring marks, 30mm tube for $299.95, and what I have - a 6-20x56 3rd Gen. Illuminated mil-dot reticle, 30mm tube, adjustable objective, light ring marks for $599.95.  

Good luck!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
dPeacher, which brand did you have "zero" problems with ?
View Quote

Sometimes that jar head of mine gets awful thick.  I used the word "zero" to mean "none, nada, zip, zilch, 0.00000000%.  

I have had no problems with my Springfield Armory 4-14x40 Tactical Government Model 5.56mm in any fashion.  I am very satisfied with the product.  

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.  I see where my choice of wording could cause some concern.  I will edit my first reply to avoid any further confusion.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#12]
This time even I've got it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Springfield scopes are OK, but to your question? NO!
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#14]
A buddy of mine got one of the 6 X twenty somethings on a deal you get when you buy a loaded rifle....we took it out for the initial sight in and there was dirt or dust or something flying around in it...he sent it back to springfield and it was promptly fixed and returned.. He sold it mainly because when you put it on an M1A it was just too heavy....i saw a big writeup on some forum in the last few days concerning springfield scopes and they were saying they are made in Japan..Can't remember who.....Dick  P.S. Forgot to give an opinion on whether they are better than Leupold--Hell no----Dick
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For a guy who earlier this year has standardized on Leupold this is an odd response.

A couple of months ago I sold a hard to get rifle to an...."operator."  We talked scopes for a few minutes and he informed me his folks were chucking the Leupold's and moving to Nightforce.
Stranger and stranger turns out we had a mutual acquaintance and I confirmed the shift with this guy.
(Offered under for what it's worth and probably not very much !)
View Quote

This would surprise you? Nightforce scopes are all high powered with big objectives and a price tag to match.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a Nightforce on order.  My only concern is the relatively paltry vertical adjustment range.  Ordered a base with more angle to compensate.  Only experience will tell whether we can get a 1500 yard adjustment AND a 100 yard zero.

Leupold LR's and Tactical's have more vertical adjustment for a given power.  Especially the Mk4 M1-16 that has 140moa range.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I had the chance to see both at SWFA. The Springfield is a very nice scope. It's a very solid scope, and has very good clarity. HTH
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Leupold 3X9 vari xII on my ar15.

Mounted on a us tactial systems mount.

ITS AWESOME! I definately recommend it.

The mount is great, the scope is great.  Instant zero, always.

No movement.

For my 308, I have the baush + lomb 4200 elite.
6X24.  Perfect.  This scope dials right in for elevation.  Over 400 rds through so far, not a prob.  I can also recommend this one.

hth

WL
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Dude. I didn't even read any of the other posts, but here my 2C.  I have the 6-20 zoom Gov model Springfield and love it.  If you ask ANY of the FCSA.org guys in there forum, they call bullshit on that.  The Leupold is a very nice scope granted.  Better for sure.  But much pricier.  You hear a lot of the Leupold guys say the Springfield is fuzzy around the edges, I don't see it, and why would you be looking at the edge of the objective anyways?~?

Buy the Springfield and spend the difference on 1000 rounds of ammo
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#21]
69shooter,
When Leupold's come free to these folks and they have to pay from their own pockets for Nightforce yes I'm surprised.
Course I surprise easily.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got a 4-14x56 Government Model 3rd Generation mounted on an M1A and it's performed flawlessly...Been knocked against a few  tailgates, been up steep canyons knocking against rocks...never a problem. It's pretty sturdy and the optics are as clear as anything I've used, Leupolds included. Love those damn Leupolds too. I'd buy a Nightforce if I cared what people thought of my "stuff"....but I don't make that kinda cash and I really could give a flying fart what "clique" I fall into.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I was talking to a guy at the range the other day.  He was using a Springfield scope with the illuminated range-finding recticle.

He said he liked his "big Leupould" at home better.

For what its worth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top