Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2001 4:01:10 PM EDT
Would appreciate your opinion on which ATV you have experience with.  I'm looking at a Honda Rubicon, taking advantage of their current rebate program.  Has plenty of power and all the bells and whistles you could want. This is a major purchase with the appropriate domino affect, trailer, trailer hitch etc.  How does the Honda compare to the Yamaha Grizzly or Kawaski.  Your comments would certainly be appreciated.  Thanks  DD
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Kawasaki Prarie 300 4X4 this spring and it has all the power I need it's an excellent machine.  My friend bought a the same thing except it's a 400 and it'll run 67mph, and get out from under you if you are'nt careful.  My Dad bought a Honda 300 4X4 in 1999 the last year they made them and they are IMO the best thing going, as it's virtually impossible to tear one up.  I have'nt had mine long enough to know how durable it is.  My Uncle bought the Rubicon this fall, but if you ask me the 400 Foreman ESP is just as good and a heck of a lot cheaper.  I would'nt buy a 400cc or larger unless I was going to use it for work as the 300-350cc class machines will do fine for trail riding, and hunting concerns.  Of course I'm sure there are some here that will disagree with that assessment.[:)]
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
ATV's are for people who can't ride motorcycles.

There are only two ATV's worth a shit.
The Yamaha 350 Banshee and the Yamaha 660 Raptor.

Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
GEF, yeah right

I grew up riding motocross, and recently got an ATV for myself and my son. They are a blast in the winter, plus try hauling a deer on a motercycle.

I went with Polaris. Yeah I know alot of guys dis them, but they have really improved, the auto tranny is great and everyone should try one. There is a reason every other mfg. copied the tranny.

No, the Polaris isn't a full blown race quad, but it kicks as a utility quad especially the Sportsman series, and the Trailblazer can't be beat for its price value.

Polaris also has good specials and deals, they offer cheap financing or accesories.

Later

IAjack
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#4]
From a mechanics pont of view, I'd say go with Honda. I've worked on them all for 20 years and Honda has the best reliability. As far as which model, it depends on what type of riding you're going to be doing. I agree with CIB. Happy trails. [^]
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had (2) Polaris 500 Sportsman for three years, other than burnt out brakes from from my stupid sister, they have been great. We ride them mainly in deep timber and tough trails. They are great workhorses.
They are not so good in cold, the trainy can be sluggish.
I think they are much more stable than lighter ones. [smoke]
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Honda fourtrax 400ex.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the Grizzly...It will get you anywhere you need to go, and then some.  Mine has been through everything imaginable to include knocking out my own trails.  Never had any problems whatsoever.  It has also packed out some pretty big animals.  Make sure you get a winch so you can pull your buddies out [:D]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1454103&a=10921648&p=42974279&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

This is my buddy's Kodiak 400 just before the water got deep...we both made it accross no problem.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1454103&a=10921648&p=42974282&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

...and Guns_Equal_Freedom...I do know how to ride motorcycles

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1454103&a=11621999&p=41209467&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody rode or seen the new Kawasaki 650?
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Bear hunter, where in the hell is that ? That is beautiful country. I wish I lived close to somewhere like that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
YAMAHA WOLVERINE !!! I have one and it is the best all around bike. It is considered a mid-sized bike. It is 4x4, 350cc, disc brakes front and rear,under 500 lbs. ,7.1 inches of wheel travel(very comfy),very low maintenance. I also have a RAPTOR 660cc. It is more of a high performance bike that will wheelie forever. The Honda 300 4x4 is also a good bike. Anything above 400cc or 450cc is an overkil in the utility class. I had a 98'kodiak that was perfect for hunting and hauling deer out. The wolverine is very economical on fuel too. I can ride about 2 days all day on a tank of gas.I will try to get a pic out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Personally I like this one:
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572564&a=11951809&p=42980077[/img]

[heavy]
Jake
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Stay clear of off brands such as Pooplaris ,Suckzuki,kawasuckie , and Artic shit. It will stay in the shop more than you ride it. I have ridden ATVs ever since they came out with the 3 wheelers. Honda and Yamaha have always been the leaders in technological breakthroughs. Spend the extra dough and get the 4x4. I hear that Grizzly sucks fuel like no tomorrow. See if Bear Hunter can clear that one up for us. If you go alone far away , Get a Warn Winch too. ATVs is my second passion next to firearms. Can you tell ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

[heavy]
Jake[/nice ridequote]
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Culprit,
Its not mine, as bad as I'd like for it to be. The pic has been floating on the board for a couple of weeks now. I just thought this an appropriate location for it again.

Jake
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 3:23:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok guess thats why they had the massive recall on the Hondas lately?

A Scrambler 4x4 although heavy will out do just about anything in the mud
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 5:33:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

[heavy]
Jake
View Quote

[b] THAT AIN'T AN ATV, THAT's AN [size=6] APC (ARMORED PERSONNEL CARRIER ) [/size=6]

[:D]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ATV's are for people who can't ride motorcycles.

There are only two ATV's worth a [epletive deleted]
The Yamaha 350 Banshee and the Yamaha 660 Raptor.

View Quote

I can tell you're only about 18 years old.

The [b] GREATEST [/b] ATV of all time was the Honda Fourtrax 250R. Production was discontinued in 1989, but it still serves as the platform for GNCC race bikes, and is the ATV of choice of the last five years of motocross and cross country ATV champions.

The 1986-1989 motors from these bikes Are STILL in use, and winning races.

The Banshee and Raptor are nice ATV's, but they'll always be spanked by the 250R.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Denver Dan:
Would appreciate your opinion on which ATV you have experience with.   Thanks  DD
View Quote

You'll never be disappointed by the reliability of a Honda. They just run, baby!!!

Ever since Honda discontinued production of the Fourtrax 250R in 1989 (another tyranny executed by our benevolent dictators in Washinton) Honda has been slightly underpowered compared to the rest of the market.

You'll probably be happy with anything from Honda, Polaris and Yamaha. These three have shared the majority of ATV sales. Suzuki and Kawasaki make nice stuff, but they just haven't sold well.

Link Posted: 3/7/2001 5:52:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Honda Rancher 4x4 it's a great machine, and you'll like it.  Now if money isn't an object go with a 4x4 Polaris.  My brother-in-law has one and it will pull through just about anything.  It has the push button 4 wheel drive and all the wheels lock up when the button is pushed, not when the wheels start slipping.  I was getting stuck in places he could blast through like it was nothing.  I was very impressed with it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Cheeks,

That is the "Last Frontier"...Alaska.  Have you read the book [b]"Into The Wild"[/b] by Jon Krakaur?...Well the river in the pic is the Teklanika(sp) River and here is the Bus where the Chris McCandless died..

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1454103&a=10921648&p=42974285[/img]

Fuel economy on the Grizz is great.  Whenever we do any hard riding my buddies with their polaris's, Honda's, Arctic Cats always end up re-fueling before me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#21]
In addition,  when I was looking to purchase mine, I consulted a guy I know who works at the local motorcycle dealership as the head mechanic.  He told me that Honda was the ATV's he worked on the least and Kawasaki was the one he worked on the most.  When I went to the dealership, while I was waiting for my credit app to go through I walked back to the service dept. and out of aprox. 18 4-wheelers waiting for repair only 1 of them was a Honda.  I was convinced.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#22]
To the whiners on the boards:

I should of said that ATV's are for people who can't ride dirt bikes.

If you thin-skinned fucks can't take a joke then fuck-off.

I am a little older than 18, my last dirt bike was a 97 Honda CR250. I have yet felt the need to own a 4 wheeler ATV, but based on my personal experinces the Yamaha Banshee will flat out smoke any ATV made.

As far as hauling fresh kill and putting the fuckers into reverse, then the Banshee sucks, and the Raptor might not be the best choice either.

Bear_Hunter, nice Harley. If I only had the money. My last street bike was a Yamaha FZR1000.

garandman, an ATV is not and will never be a "bike".
Calling an ATV a "bike" is like calling an AR15 an "assault rifle".
Motocross is about MOTORCYCLES!!
Cross Country is about MOTORCYCLES!!

Last time I watched ATV's was during the intermissions during Supercross races and inbeteween heat races during Speedway races.
The ATV of choice was the Suzuki 500 Quadzilla.

Again, I was only joking.

Link Posted: 3/7/2001 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
To the whiners on the boards:

I should of said that ATV's are for people who can't ride dirt bikes.

If you thin-skinned fucks can't take a joke then fuck-off.

View Quote

Well, isn't that pleasant? Now I can tell NOT ONLY your age, but your IQ as well  [;)]

I would challenges ANYONE who rides / races dirtbikes to ride / race an ATV either cross country or motocross. Having experience on both dirtbikes and ATV's, both riding and racing (the ATV,) I can assure you you must be in better physical condition to race ATV's than to race a dirtbike. Racing ATV is quite simply brutal.

I raced a GNCC National in Cross Anchor, SC. I DNF'ed. Like I say, it was brutal.

so get off your arrogant high hoss, you pansy dirtbiker.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 3/7/2001 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would challenges ANYONE who rides / races dirtbikes to ride / race an ATV either cross country or motocross. Having experience on both dirtbikes and ATV's, both riding and racing (the ATV,) I can assure you you must be in better physical condition to race ATV's than to race a dirtbike. Racing ATV is quite simply brutal.

you speak the truth on this one. i brought a banshee in 96, an loved how it ran like a bat at of hell. but hated trying to find the right gear for it's powerband when in the woods or trail riding. a banshee is a must have if you sand dune or you TT dirt track. as it's 2 cylinder 2 stoke moter came from a early 70's race track motorcycles an was never intended for crosscountry.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#25]
If you are really a speed freak and want to whip just about anything...get a Bombadier DS650!

The other kewl feature of Polaris as mentioned it on the 4x4 models you can switch it in and out of 4wd with the push of a button.

Link Posted: 3/7/2001 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I can tell when someone is defeated, they resort to the tired old cliches, like "Now I can tell NOT ONLY your age, but your IQ as well".
Sounds like you have been taking lessons from the anti-gunners.
[X]

BTW, the Banshee motor was lifted from the (US model) RZ350, an early to mid 80's Yamaha street bike.
I agree, it's not made for tight trails, it's made for open fire roads and desert dunes.

Link Posted: 3/7/2001 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I can tell when someone is defeated, they resort to the tired old cliches, like "Now I can tell NOT ONLY your age, but your IQ as well".
Sounds like you have been taking lessons from the anti-gunners.
[X]

BTW, the Banshee motor was lifted from the (US model) RZ350, an early to mid 80's Yamaha street bike.
I agree, it's not made for tight trails, it's made for open fire roads and desert dunes.

View Quote

thanks for the correction, i've seen them(motors) used on old style bikes for track racing an just assumed! now with the new ds650 & raptors out i wonder if a new 600 4 stoke quadzilla is far behide?
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Here's a Banshee on Nitrous. Had an 8 month winter with nothing to do except to max out credit limit.

[img]http://home1.polaroiddigital.com/auction/Feb/20012234826893215347216.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, when the most lucid and cogent part of your "adversary's" post is "fvck you" that says alot. [;D]

Anywho, truce, truce, man. The banshee is a sweet machine, but I'll still take the 250R.

Link Posted: 3/10/2001 1:16:08 AM EDT
[#30]
NYSHOOTER, I know what you mean with the Banshee and the low torque. When the Raptor came out a few months back , I traded my 98' Banshee on the Raptor. It does everything. Coming out of curves in the trails is awesome and it will often wheelie. I ride mostly in 3rd gear in the woods with hardly any gear changing except on straightaways. This thing is a torque monster and a wheelie king. No clutching is needed either,just give her some gas and hold on. The reverse is a backsaver too. Oh , and the electric start.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 2:25:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I got a new 400ex last week, my cousin got the raptor. both fine bikes but I couldnt see the extra cash for the raptor. after riding his, it doesnt impress me any more than my 400ex except the reverse thing.
[img]www.hondamotorcycle.com/models/2001/images/sport_atv/gallery_popups/Sportrax400EX_02.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 3:39:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Denver Dan,

I have seen how these things are made.  They basically build them around the drive train. I would buy what I knew I could get worked on where I lived.  If there are multiple choices I would go with whoever has the best customer service.  I know from experience that I did not buy mine to drive on smooth roads and it doesnt matter who made it-it is going to break somewhere that you can't get your arm in there to fix it your self.  I didn't read the whole post but some of these thing will flat out haul a$$.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 4:04:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Go with the Honda.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#34]
yamaha banshee or raptor:ITS A SPEED THING, YOU WOULD'NT UNDERSTAND
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Bear_Hunter,

Are you being sought on "Americas Most Wanted"? You have the black things across your faces and I just wondered.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Getsome,

I just prefer a little anonymity [:|]
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I had the opportunity to try the new Kawasaki Prairie 650 V-twin a couple weeks ago at the press intro in San Antonio, TX, and I was way impressed! Sure, it's not as nimble as the Yamaha Raptor or the Honda 400EX, but this is a utility quad we're talking about. Or, as Kawasaki proudly proclaims, the 650 is a Sport Utility ATV.

It's got plenty of power, an excellent automatic tranmission, push-button-quick 4WD and pretty darn good suspension. I'm more of a dirt bike (MX, enduro, desert) guy than a quad freak, but the Kawasaki impressed me. As I understand, it also impressed a lot of the ATV magazine editors who were there the day before.

I haven't had the chance to ride the Honda Rubicon, but I've ridden all the Yamahas, and I think Kawasaki may have just raised the bar for this category. Of course, anything is better than walking when you've got a ton of gear to pack in and out of an area. Hope this helps. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top