Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2001 1:05:38 PM EDT
[url]http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-brf-airport-rifle1123nov23.story?coll=la%2Dap%2Dtopnews%2Dheadlines[/url]

No charge was pressed and airport operation uninterrupted...  My hats off to the Texan. [:)]  Some other airport would stop all flights for hours and press charge against a man who forgot his luggage.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
"That's FIRE!! You can't bring FIRE on the plane!!!"
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
How about charging him with being a complete moron.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How about charging him with being a complete moron.
View Quote

amen to that...

"lookey here, it's not loaBANGded.... umm... I mean... errr...."
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#4]
What an idiot...

"I *know* it's not loaded.  Here let me show you...."

[;)]

- CD
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Why are people always trying to come down to Texas and tear shit up?

Michael
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess he missed the gun must be unloaded to  fly thing.  You think he would have checked the weapon several times before taking it to the airport.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Or, maybe he just doesn't understand that a loaded weapon should be in your control and pointed downrange at all times.

And when you put it away or put it down, it should be made safe.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#8]
What a dumbass! He probably showed the airline official that it was unloaded by inserting the bolt and pulling the trigger. A round was probably left in the chamber from earlier screwing around. I can imagine at least 3 or 4 basic safety violations. He probably committed even more.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What a dumbass! He probably showed the airline official that it was unloaded by inserting the bolt and pulling the trigger. A round was probably left in the chamber from earlier screwing around. I can imagine at least 3 or 4 basic safety violations. He probably committed even more.
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Why is it so many stupid fuc$ers own guns and hunt? If it wasnt for all the boobs in the world I could probably go down and buy a MP5 for the 1200$ dealer price.

Ropes
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Or, maybe he just doesn't understand that a loaded weapon should be in your control and pointed downrange at all times.
View Quote

Ok not to put you down or anything but this statement PISSES me off. I was in sports authority awhile back looking at a gun that was handed to me from behind the counter. While shouldering the rifle and looking down the sights the clerk tells me to point it at this spot above the counter as anyplace else will make other customers nervous. I says ok, Then some MORON next to me says "Yeah you should keep that thing pointed down range at all times". I says are you Fuckin Stupid? ARE WE EVEN AT A RANGE? Where the FUCK is down range in a sporting goods store? WTF are you talking about.

Soooo. If this guy is in the Airport how the HELL is he supossed to point it down range?
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, this makes me feel better about flying with my AR to Arizona next Thursday.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why is it so many stupid fuc$ers own guns and hunt? Ropes
View Quote

Because they see themselves as hunters first, and gunowners second. A gun is no better or no worse than a bow to many, in my experience. Their idea of target practice is the yearly "well, ahm sightin' er in" as they repeatedly miss huge targets at the range, while trying to re-familiarise themselves with their rifles and shotguns. They look horrified at people with AR15s and AKs- "Y'all cain't hunt deer with that- what good is it?". They often don't vote, unless it's for whatever Dem their union rep tells them to vote for, and they drink more than they shoot (sometimes at the same time....).

BUT- hunters form the majority of gunowners in this country, and are the backbone of the NRA. No wonder so many non-gun people are anti-gun. I was anti-gun in my youth, out of reaction to having to deal with these morons on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#15]
This MORON most likely hadn't TOUCHED his deer rifle since the last time he hunted a year or more ago.  No doubt he had NO IDEA what condition the rifle was in.

It's an indication the idiot was politically influential that he was released.  Travelling with wife to out of state elk hunt.  Smells of money not brains.  I've met too many of this kind and they are not our friends.  Place yourself in this situation and what do you think would happen?  Oneshot comes to mind.

Now that this incident has been nationally broadcast; AP, MSNBC, etc. we'll all feel the effect.

No thanks to this BOOB!  I'm a Texan by birth and I'll kick the guy's ass.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok not to put you down or anything but this statement PISSES me off. I was in sports authority awhile back looking at a gun that was handed to me from behind the counter. While shouldering the rifle and looking down the sights the clerk tells me to point it at this spot above the counter as anyplace else will make other customers nervous. I says ok, Then some MORON next to me says "Yeah you should keep that thing pointed down range at all times". I says are you Fuckin Stupid? ARE WE EVEN AT A RANGE? Where the FUCK is down range in a sporting goods store? WTF are you talking about.

Soooo. If this guy is in the Airport how the HELL is he supossed to point it down range?
View Quote

Lots of people use "downrange" as a generic sort of term for any direction that is away from them at the time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like he is a Moron to me!
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#18]
[b]Quoted:
Because they see themselves as hunters first, and gunowners second.[/b]

I have been on the site for a few years now and this is probably the smartest, truest statement I have ever read!!!!  I commend you 95thfoot!!

[b] They look horrified at people with AR15s and AKs- "Y'all cain't hunt deer with that- what good is it?"...........
BUT- hunters form the majority of gunowners in this country, and are the backbone of the NRA. [/b]

And this statement is an excellent follow up point.  Some ([i]not all[/i]) hunters are actually a bigger enemy then a complete anti-gunner, as they only think about there needs (bolt action rifles) and miss seeing the whole picture of gun control laws.  They vote to outlaw "assult weapons" (because you can't shoot deer with an AK) but fail to see the day that anti-gunners will come after their "High Powered Sniper Rifles".  And because they practice less often they are often more prone to accidents which hurts all gun owners as a crowd.  And like 95thfoot stated, alot of the hunter crowd looks down on our choice of hobby while S.U.V. owner are usually tolerant of theirs.

And that's all I have to say about that.[soapbox]

Sgtar15
[img]http://www.tartarus.net/images/chats/tanya/point.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 11/23/2001 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh, it's OK, he is just a deer hunter, no harm, no foul.

What if it were a Camp Perry competitor and an evil AR-15 with a less powerful 5.56mm cartridge?

Then he would be a terrorism suspect.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I think the question has been answered.

A loaded weapon should be pointed in a safe direction (is that better?} at all times.

This guy did not know his weapon was loaded, that's no excuse, and is only one of the many basic safety violations.

You knew (I'm assuming you checked) that the weapon you were checking out was unloaded.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I work at an airport. Nothing surprises me anymore. I'm definetly ROFLMAO on this one.  And they say I dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#22]
After all the sh#t that has been happening at the Airports you would think you would at least check a couple of times to make sure your weapon is not loaded in anyway before you go to Airport.  

After all you know they are going to need you to verify the Gun is unloaded and no ammo is in the Gun case or in the Gun!

The last thing you want is to cause a panic with everyone in the line and staring at you and your rifle package!
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Just add this to the growing list of fodder the anti's will use against us. Then the dumbass sheeple will have true facts to draw upon when they vote. [:E]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is it so many stupid fuc$ers own guns and hunt? Ropes
View Quote

Because they see themselves as hunters first, and gunowners second. A gun is no better or no worse than a bow to many, in my experience. Their idea of target practice is the yearly "well, ahm sightin' er in" as they repeatedly miss huge targets at the range, while trying to re-familiarise themselves with their rifles and shotguns. They look horrified at people with AR15s and AKs- "Y'all cain't hunt deer with that- what good is it?". They often don't vote, unless it's for whatever Dem their union rep tells them to vote for, and they drink more than they shoot (sometimes at the same time....).

BUT- hunters form the majority of gunowners in this country, and are the backbone of the NRA. No wonder so many non-gun people are anti-gun. I was anti-gun in my youth, out of reaction to having to deal with these morons on a regular basis.
View Quote

Very well put, as has been said below. I realize hunters are the backbone of the NRA and that we need every member but hunters ( as opposed to hunter/shooters) are a lot less tolerant of  sport shooters than sport shooters are of hunters. I have nothing against hunting, though I personally find it a little morbid, what do hunters have against paper punching?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#25]
All of the reports that I have heard here in TX said that DPS was not going to file charges because the man had a [b][i]permit[/i][/b] for the rifle. What fucking permit is needed for a rifle in Texas (other than class 3)? Stupid reporters! A TV reporter said that the airlines allow people with a [b][i]permit[/i][/b] to fly with firearms in checked bags. WTF?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All of the reports that I have heard here in TX said that DPS was not going to file charges because the man had a [b][i]permit[/i][/b] for the rifle. What fucking permit is needed for a rifle in Texas (other than class 3)? Stupid reporters! A TV reporter said that the airlines allow people with a [b][i]permit[/i][/b] to fly with firearms in checked bags. WTF?
View Quote

Yep! Typical ignorance by "news" reporters.

I'm beginning to think all those fools in college that majored in Journalism just
couldn't cut it in Underwater Basket Weaving
so chose the easier path.
 Seriously , it seems like these idiots don't even have the brains to get a college degree
& yet they're "reporting" the "news"!

Unfrigginbelievable!

and bunghole , you are correct, there are essentially  
NO restrictions on long guns in
TX.  

NO liscensing or permits etc.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I WAS THERE.  I have family in Dallas.  I was about 200 feet away from the scene.  A lady said someone poped a firecracker.  I said firecraker my ass, get down.  All the nat guard folks mobilized pretty quickly.  All in all a very intense incident.  I had to check my gun for the flight.  Man I felt naked...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top