Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2001 9:39:07 AM EDT
Tell us about it. Is it on private or public land. What goes on there?
Do you have exotic guns. Boom booms etc.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a fair shooting place on my farm.
480 yards from the two concrete benches.
We can go 800 yards shooting from the East catfish pond dam to the West ridge but there is no bench there yet.
I should finish the bench in March.
Also have 12,25,50 yard pistol range.
Invite only and many big bass and catfish there.
I love Arkansas
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine was strictly built for pistols...50 yards, 12 positions.
I use reduced size targets when shooting rifles. One of these days I might try to sqeak some more yardage out, but I suspect I'l have to buy a new piece of land to make that happen.
The property belongs to a family member.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#3]
In my dreams.  I've been toying at the idea of buying property a few hours west of here (I live near DC.)   Then I will be able to shoot any damn gun I want to. 50 bmg, M16 etc.  Right now I only have a 100 yard range 3 hours away in WV where I can shoot my M16 or my .50 (when I get it.)  The only other option is to leech off of a 'friend' a little south of me, but I don't like taking advantage of their generosity.

Whoever has ranges, posts the pics.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Three or so miles down LNG pipeline across timber company land.  Takes 4wd to access.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a shooting hole. It is about 150 yds only, but probably the most shot up piece of earth short of Afghanistan. We have been shooting up the place for thirty plus years. Pretty much anything goes.  
In the winter it snows and the pyrotechnics begin. All legal of course.
p.s. going in on a batch of tracers this week.
Snow is in the forcast.
bs,

Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a little place up north. I usually just tape targets to the Alaskan pipeline and blast away!

Michael
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Happen to have a small one - in my back yard.  Have even been known to invite some of my friends from "up North" who don't want to take advantage of my generosity :).

Here are some pictures from the Massad Ayoob class a week ago:

[img]http://www.vcdl.org/sf2001/firingline_sm.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.vcdl.org/sf2001/firingline2_sm.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.vcdl.org/sf2001/listenup_sm.jpg[/img]

I have a 35-yard range with a 10' backstop and a 90-yard range with a small backstop.  The 35-yard range has 10 IPSC target frames.  

I plan to build a big range on some new property out back.  If anyone has ideas how to reduce noise for the neighbors, it would be much appreciated.  

Black Fox
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Blackfox...that a pretty nice setup you've got there. Wish I had a nice little place like that.

Oh and an easy answer to your noise question would be suppressors, lots of suppressors.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]
My shooting range is the Mojave Desert.  Love the "wise use" idea.

I shoot "wisely".
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, Ponyboy.  I try to use cans when I'm shooting, but it's tough to tell 35 people taking a tactical handgun class to use cans on them.  I have at least two big shoots a year.  Those usually involve calls to 911 from the next County :).

Black Fox
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I plan to build a big range on some new property out back.  If anyone has ideas how to reduce noise for the neighbors, it would be much appreciated.  

Black Fox
View Quote

I do not know if they have any where you are located.  However, here in Canada the new rule dictate that we have full berms around our ranges.  At my club ( I am president) we are going to build a fully bermed 350 m range the berms are 15 feet high on the sides and 25ft at the back stop.  We are using a product called SOUNDSORB.  It is basically the short fibres from paper re-cycling operations.  They take the fibres and mix it with sand.  In the past they had to take the fibre to the dump and pay tipping fees there.  Now they are using it to build berms at clubs.  So far there are at least 12 clubs in Ontario that have used it ( including another club I am a member at) They say that the berms will greatly reduce the sound leaving the property.  Anyway the total cost for our projects ( we are arlso buliding two 75 yard handgun ranges) Totaling 75000 cubic yards of material...

Any gueses?

Try FREE!!!!!

They are saving so much money in not paying to dump it that they are able to truck the material 3hours to our club, pay to buy the sand to mix it with and put it all in place.  We only have to pay for the drainage tiles to keep the place dry.

One year after the material goes in they "cap it" with compost material and hydrospray it with grass seed.

I do not think that there is a better deal out there for clubs/ranges.

Oh BTW some enviromentalists are screaming that the stuff is poison however government labs have tested it and it comes out clean (ish)

Email me if you want any more details.

Cheers

Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#12]
My dad left a workshop that has an underground pistol range on it (20 yards).  It is built into the back wall.  Youcan go form working up a load to shooting it in under 5 seconds.  Has a track to carry the target down and a pretty good ventalation system.

Does that count?
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've got a little place up north. I usually just tape targets to the Alaskan pipeline and blast away!

Michael
View Quote

Real estate signs work really well. The crape paper ones along the roadways. Paper plates and target dots are extra. Do your civic duty and take these biodegradable eye-sores to the range.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I live on a farm of about 900 acres. there's a river on one border, so we can fish, swim, SCUBA or play "Sink The Bismark" (shoot 2-liter soda bottles).

I can get 1,000 yard shots down the access road between the fields- but I'm only shooting out to 650 yards so far.

We have a pistol range with reactive targets, skeet shooting, and rifle range where we shoot full-auto into old cars (or new ones, when we find 'em!).

The land has been posted and private for over 50 years. No hunting, fishing, etc. & we do chase off offenders.

There are always deer, foxes, and the like, but we only shoot the groundhogs. Best shot so far is just shy of 400 yards- Rem 700 w/Hornady 168gr AMAX really tears them up!. I have gotten several in the 200 yard range from my bedroom window.

Sorry.

It's just nice to know that for once it doesn't suck to be me!

Shoot straight,

bennyrock
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#15]
bennyrock-
That sounds like heaven. Where do you live?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 1:14:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I live on a farm of about 900 acres. there's a river on one border, so we can fish, swim, SCUBA or play "Sink The Bismark" (shoot 2-liter soda bottles).

I can get 1,000 yard shots down the access road between the fields- but I'm only shooting out to 650 yards so far.

We have a pistol range with reactive targets, skeet shooting, and rifle range where we shoot full-auto into old cars (or new ones, when we find 'em!).

The land has been posted and private for over 50 years. No hunting, fishing, etc. & we do chase off offenders.

There are always deer, foxes, and the like, but we only shoot the groundhogs. Best shot so far is just shy of 400 yards- Rem 700 w/Hornady 168gr AMAX really tears them up!. I have gotten several in the 200 yard range from my bedroom window.

Sorry.

It's just nice to know that for once it doesn't suck to be me!

Shoot straight,

We do not have a river, but we have snow and lots of 2-liter bottles that look cool filled with gas. Several oz. of powder and a target dot taped to the side does the trick.
p.s. substitute a glow stick for the target dot for night shooting.
bs,
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:45:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Happen to have a small one - in my back yard.  Have even been known to invite some of my friends from "up North" who don't want to take advantage of my generosity :).

Here are some pictures from the Massad Ayoob class a week ago:

[img]http://www.vcdl.org/sf2001/firingline_sm.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.vcdl.org/sf2001/firingline2_sm.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.vcdl.org/sf2001/listenup_sm.jpg[/img]

I have a 35-yard range with a 10' backstop and a 90-yard range with a small backstop.  The 35-yard range has 10 IPSC target frames.  

Black Fox
View Quote

I can't believe I'm the first to say this but do you have any more pics of the blonde???
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:35:50 AM EDT
[#18]
... Yeah I have one. It's called the great wide open spaces of Arizona. As a matter of fact, I hear here calling me now.
I'll post a pic laters.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#20]
jadams - I was was starting to get worried about you guys!!  You may be able to find more at the public website I linked these pictures from.  
She is a 747 pilot for a major airline.  She had never shot a gun before and started with a borrowed 9mm Glock.  By the end of the second day she tied my score in the Police qualification exam and took home the "most improved" award.  Needless to say, I'm impressed.  She hopes to carry while flying if they get the laws passed.  We'll see!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#21]
My range is about50 miles from my house.  Use a cliff face for a backstop.  Range is limited to optics.  If you can still see the target you can shoot at it. Actually i think range is limited to about 3 miles or so.  Targets are set up at 100yd intervals out to 1000 yrds from the rifle "Fireing line".  I mostly use old oilfield location signs as target stands. At the moment I'm still scroungeing up some plate metal to make some gongs. until then its all paper, dirt clod, boulders and prairie dogs fer targets.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought that Massad Ayoob is a Police Capt. in New Hampshire?  I guess he must travel.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I use the same "public" range that Winston_Wolf uses, the Arizona desert. I have a cool spot off of a main fire road that has "targets" out 500 yds. Not bad for a free place to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Actually, ckapsl, he still is.  Mas also teaches classes through Lethal Force Institute - [url]http://www.ayoob.com/[/url].  Looks like he travels about one week a month from his schedule.  His class was great - I recommend taking one if you have the chance.

Black Fox
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I have two short range(out to 200yds) ranges set up on the west side of our pasture and a long range (out to 1000yds. so far, with room to shoot from at least 1200yds.) over on the east side. I've used the west side ranges for IPSC practice - one is in a sandpit dug into the side of a 100' tall hill, with sand 'berms' surrounding it which allow firing safely in a 180 degree arc as long as you're within 20yds. of the backstop. I've run several invitational matched for our local IPSC club there over the years - room to set up three pistol courses of fire, then we'd move south a little and run a couple of rifle courses with IPSC paper & steel targets set up in small draws (canyons), plus a longer range (out to 350yds) rifle match. Three of the guys in the club are Class III dealers, so after the scored portion of the match was over, and we'd feasted on hamburgers grilled at the range, we'd break out the MP5's, Thompson, Uzi, M1919, etc, and start playing. A local dealer even brought a McMillan 50BMG rifle once, and we proceeded to shoot up a fair amount of Dominican surplus 50 cal. ammo. IPSC has sorta died out here, so I use the sandpit mostly for 50-100yd. practice sessions with a CLE 22RF upper now. The long range is set up with firing pts. at 200/300/600/800/900/1000yds. I don't have pits, just a backstop built up out of silt I dug out of the creek with a front end loader. Use it mostly for XC highpower practice with the AR's, but have just finished clearing tall grass & yucca so that I can fire from prone on the 800/900/1000yd. pts. with a Palma rifle. Need to either build a 4' steel gong or figure out some sort of remote video camera setup for LR shooting. It took me 2-1/2hrs. to chrono 40rds. in 5-shot strings from 1000 the other day - had to jump on an ArticCat 4-wheeler and run clear down to the target to record & paste the target after each 5 shots. Put 9 miles on the 4-wheeler just doing that, but it was too nice a day to squander on anything less satisfying than LR shooting!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#26]
does 20ft pellet gun into a paper stuffed box count [bounce]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Cougar Mountain, near the town of Mt Vernon, an hour north of my crib. Access via logging roads on public land - multiple sites to select.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Grandpa's farm, 200yds max, any thing we want to shoot. [:)>]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:21:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Mines just 75 yards out the back door. Set up on the front side of an old dried up stock tank. Backstop is made up of railroad crossties lag bolted to some 6 inch poles set 4ft in the ground. It will stop all my handguns and MOST of my rifles. Dont shoot the rifles much because I'm worried about my neighbors Llama's that are a 1/2 mile or so behind the backstop. Only bad thing is I can only shoot 50 yards. I could go 100 but I'd have to open the barn doors and shoot through a barbwire fence too.[;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top