Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2001 2:22:17 PM EDT
I sent my DSA SA-58 back to DSA today for some minor work. You wouldn't believe the hassle it was trying to do that.

I went to Mail Boxes Ect to buy a box to send it in. The lady asked what was in the black plastic case, and I told her it was a rifle. "Oh no! You can't send that from here!" I said I didn't plan on mailing through them, I just needed a box to fit the case in to.

Since they mail through UPS, FedEx and U.S.P.S. I thought I'd ask if it was just a policy of theirs(Mail Boxes Ect) that they don't ship long guns, or whether each shipping company they use doesn't allow it. The lady called both UPS and FedEx while I was there, and told me that neither company would allow a private party to ship a rifle back to the dealer. It had to go from one FFL to another. DSA, however, told me when I called earlier that it was perfectly legal, and that I could use anyone to ship the gun back.

The lady went on to say that there's no way the U.S.P.S. would allow it either. Since there was a branch right across the street, I decided to go over and ask them personally.

When I got up to the counter, I told the guy what I wanted to send and to whom. You would have thought I asked to ship vials of plutonium! He got all confused and whispered for another employee to come over to discuss the "situation" with him. The lady at the counter next to me looked at me after I asked the question and literally cringed her face with disgust. After breaking out every rule book and manual on postal regulations, they came to the conclusion, that I could in fact ship the rifle through the U.S.P.S. as long as it was "inoperable". Since no bullets were included in the box, that qualified it as inoperable as far as I was concerned. I told them that it was.

I had no idea what sort of a hassle I was in for. There truly wasn't one cooperative person in almost every aspect of shipping the gun. Makes you wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to just ship it as "computer parts" if asked what's in the box.

Anyone have any experiences like this? Any suggestions as to how to avoid hassles in the future?
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Do the research before you go to ship your firearms the next time, and bring your documentation.
It works for me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
A couple of years ago I sent a lower out of state via UPS and had the completed rifle mailed back to me via USPS. I've sent fully functional rifles via UPS for years. I just bring it down to MBE, already addressed and wrapped in butcher paper, and state "rifle" on the invoice (not on the box). They griped once, I made them call UPS, and that was that. They accepted it.

The best way to deal with USPS is to ask for a copy of the DMM (domestic mail manual) and make copies of the appropriate pages. Same for UPS. If anyone gives you crap, show them the regulations and tell them to get a life.

Link Posted: 3/6/2001 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds real fun, bet you wont do that again.
What`s wrong with the almighty DSA?
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
What you need to do is break the rifle down to fit into a shorter box and send it via USPS.  It is PERFECTLY LEGAL to send a long gun via the US Mail to a dealer or manufacturer and you DO NOT have to tell the post office employees what it is you are mailing.  Don't let anyone tell you different, I have seen the copy of the law.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
An Unlicensed person, you, can ship a Longarm to an FFL holder via USPS or common carrier.

If you ship via common carrier you must inform them there is a firearm in the box.

M.B.E. and other Mail drops can not handle firearms shipments. You must take the Firearms to the actual Fed Ex, USP, or USPS customer counter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#7]
With UPS you can also schedule the carrier to stop by your home or work to pick up your weapon for shipping. I have shipped guns privately for repair in the past and never has a problem. Most warranty cards or owners manuals will have the procedure roughly outlined for you.
Also to be of note. A rifle or handgun being returned from service doesn't have to be transferred through a dealer, it can be shipped directly back to you.

Jake
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]
With UPS you can also schedule the carrier to stop by your home or work to pick up your weapon for shipping. I have shipped guns privately for repair in the past and never has a problem. Most warranty cards or owners manuals will have the procedure roughly outlined for you.
Also to be of note. A rifle or handgun being returned from service doesn't have to be transferred through a dealer, it can be shipped directly back to you.

Jake
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, what LawDog said..
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, what LawDawg said..
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do the research before you go to ship your firearms the next time, and bring your documentation.
It works for me.
View Quote

I thought I covered that. I called DSA and asked them VERY specific shipping questions. Who will ship it? What precautions are necessary? What's the best way to send it? DSA told me that the big 3 carriers will handle it without a problem. Since they receive rifles from people like me all the time, I figured they would know best as to the process.

Thus, when I left my house after the call to DSA, I had no reason to think that I was misinformed(which I was not), or would run in to any hassles. The people who apparently were misinformed were the morons at M.B.E., and the semi-tards at the U.S.P.S.

RICH - I guess DSA had a batch of recoil springs that weren't heat treated properly, and I got one of them. DSA said they would be happy to replace it, but I MUST sent the rifle to them, they weren't sending new springs to anyone.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

M.B.E. and other Mail drops can not handle firearms shipments. You must take the Firearms to the actual Fed Ex, USP, or USPS customer counter.
View Quote

I asked the woman at M.B.E. if NOT shipping firearms was a policy of theirs, or the actual carriers they used. She said that it was the policy of the individual carriers, and not M.B.E.

She called FedEx and UPS while I was there to "verify" what she told me. A second woman called U.S.P.S. while I was there, and they both told me that I couldn't do it, regardless of where I mailed it from.

Obviously they were full of sh!t.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Just break the rifle down, and box it up, if they ask, just tell them it's machine parts. (expensive machine parts)
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I believe (unverified) that the reason MBE and other drops cannot handle firearms shipments is that BATF ruled that only the carrier making the shipment could handle the firearms.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#15]
What EOD Guy said.

"I" believe you have to submit the firearm to the actual shipping company, rather than an drop-off agent.

Does your town have a UPS office? If so, they normally have their own customer service window, you drive there and present in person, no problems. I have done this in my home town.

The town I currently live in does not. So I call UPS and schedule a driver pick-up. Have all shipping info. on hand and ready. They'll give you a shipping price and you have it and package all ready to go when the driver comes by and picks-up your package.

If the firearm is sent to a gunsmith or manufacturer, then it can be returned directly to you, not through a dealer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I went through a similar situation when I tried to ship my rifle to RMA out in Colo. for refinishing. When the guy at the cardshop where I do all my shipping via UPS asked me what the box contained,he said UPS "wouldn't let him ship it". I calmly stated UPS's policy (pistols must go through their service center 2 day express because of all the thieves working there)and asked him to call them.He did and after discovering I was right he got real apologetic,and started telling me how much he liked guns but he had to be careful because of all the rules. Like the previous posters said,know the rules ahead of time, and be polite but firm.Many people are just ignorant to the policies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top