Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2001 3:34:07 PM EDT
Anyone know anything about antibiotics?

I've been ill for the past two weeks.

Initially, I had the flu. Got over that for the most part.

Now, I have had a lung infection for about the past week. I am near the end of my prescribed antibiotics (amoxicillin). Yet still, my lungs [while being a bit better] still feel "heavy" and I have random moments when my coughing flares up, VERY annoying!!

I've been wondering if I should get more of the amoxicillin or if there is something that may be more effective for THIS type (respiratory) of infection.

It is also sometimes complicated by my asthma.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone know anything about antibiotics?

I've been ill for the past two weeks.

Initially, I had the flu. Got over that for the most part.

Now, I have had a lung infection for about the past week. I am near the end of my prescribed antibiotics (amoxicillin). Yet still, my lungs [while being a bit better] still feel "heavy" and I have random moments when my coughing flares up, VERY annoying!!

I've been wondering if I should get more of the amoxicillin or if there is something that may be more effective for THIS type (respiratory) of infection.

It is also sometimes complicated by my asthma.

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Amoxicillin is not an approved drug for anthrax, dude.  Get yer will in order.[;D]

Seriously:  surprised you're on amoxicillin for a lower respiratory infection.  Usually zithromax is the drug 'o' choice; a lot of penicillin resistant strep out there that usually causes lung infections.  And yes, Virginia, if you have asthma, your symptoms will be aggravated.  

Check back with your doc, have HMOhim/HMOher listen to your chest for congestion.  If you don't have a fever, you really don't need antibiotics, maybe a steroid inhaler to tame the bronchial irritation.  Good luck.

dr. shooter

P.S.  If you die, we're splitting up your gear.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#2]
or Augmentin. . . .  (Personal preference. [:D])
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Antibiotics won't work on viruses.  They will work on bacterial infections.

Get some medicine that will  "deal" with your congestion. (I prefer expectorants.)

Seems like there are plenty of "resistant" bugs out there.  If your illness only feels "suppressed" by the antibiotic, and not killed, get a better antibiotic.

Is there an Internet Doctor in the house?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
My guess is you've got viral bronchitis. An inhaler(albuterol,etc) may be beneficial. Sometimes a steroid inhaler in addition can help. Strongly rec hot showers( am and bedtime),decongestants as needed, Ibuprofen, etc for chest discomfort from cough, body aches, etc. Keep your fluids up as well.
You'll have to decide whether you are sick enough to be seen again. If you are getting worse you absolutely need a chest X-ray.
Sometimes in such a situation you get some bacterial overgrowth due to mucous, etc in the lungs and an antibiotic can help but it depends on your individual situation. I use Zithromax or Augmentin in such situations as well-good job guys.
All in all it will probably take more time. An inhaler will open up your airways a little and help you bring up some mucous, thus relieving some of your cough.
FWIW, I've probably seen 750 people with the same thing you have. It takes about 3 weeks to get back to near normal and pts are coughing some in the AM and fatigued for as much as 4-6 weeks. At least that is my experience up here in the northwoods. I did have it myself as well. No fucking fun at all.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Spark the L!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top