Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2001 1:42:12 PM EDT
My old safe was just too small for my guns.  I bought a new Liberty Colonial 23 today for $849.  He didn't have one in stock, but it looked like a good deal for a fairly large 66x37 fire safe.  He had a Fort Know Defender for an extra $450, but I didn't think it was worth the extra money.  How do you guys think I did.  The only downfall to the safe is the weight.  It weights about 600 pounds if my memory serves me correct.  I plan on anchoring it to a concrete wall in my basement.  Would you guys cancel the order and go with the Fort Know Defender?  The fire rating dosen't mean all that much to me since it is going in the basement.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't cancel the order for the Liberty unless the Defender was considerably bigger.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Liberty Colonial 23 myself. Very good quality, bang-for-buck, etc. Got mine in the grey baked-on granite finish - figure it won't show fingerprints or chip like the gloss paint might.

The fireproofing is good. One limitation is that the door has 5 lugs (bolts) only on one side - as you go higher in price, you get more lugs around the door - 14 or 16 depending on safe size.  But it offers more than enough security, esp for an apartment. [In a remote area, or in an unobserved location where an attacker had substantial amount of time to burn/drill/etc. I'd get something a tad heavier - but at a higher price.

You got a good deal too - I paid $50 more for mine when it was 'on sale' here in Calif (Bay Area). Plus there was delivery (worth every penny).

This Liberty Colonial 23 is a 'transitional' safe for me; had too many goodies for the Homak steel cabinet. It could fit thru the door, and wouldn't fall thru the floor ;-)  Once I buy a townhouse, I'm gonna sell this puppy & get something bigger - something in the 45+ cu ft size, thick metal, more bolts - like a Liberty Franklin or Washington.

I chose to have an S&G mechanical combo lock, not an electronic keypad lock. I'd still do this even on a real fancy high-grade safe. Too many things to go wrong w/electronic lock, and good mechnaical combo locks have been time-tested for many decades.

Bit of advice: if your safe is in a darker area (i.e., at night/when lights are off) keep a fresh flashlight nearby: if you need to get your toys, you don't wanna be fumbling w/a combo lock in the dark.

I also leave one or two nonvaluable ("beater but accurate") toys outside of safe when I'm home. When you need to grab & go, you wanna be able to roll quickly. Throw 'em in when I go to work.

-Bill
-San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#3]
bweise, how many long guns could you fit in your 23?  I hope I am happy with my new safe.  Now I need to fill this one up! [:)]  
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He had a Fort Know Defender for an extra $450, but I didn't think it was worth the extra money
View Quote

The Ft. Knox Defender is the safe I have and I think you took the correct route. I will have to buy another safe in the near future and will go with something similar to what your getting.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#5]
$849???!!!  Our local safe dealer has one on sale for $1349!  Something's wrong here.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I was going to say, mine seems to be smaller, and it was almost twice the price. One of the liberty limited editions.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$849???!!!  Our local safe dealer has one on sale for $1349!  Something's wrong here.
View Quote

Well, I don't have a safe, but I have the Libertys' price list and the manufacturers suggested retail price for the "Colonial 23" in granite finish is $1349.00. On the price list I have it says, "Authorized dealers typically price hundreds of dollars less than MSRP!"

Morgan-Keegan........where did you order yours, I'am looking for one myself and thats a great price, even if it's $300.00 for shipping.

So your dealer is charging TOP dollar.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Kentucky Gun Safe, I will look up their number and post.  I think they have one out of Lexington, Ky
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#9]
It was Kentucky Safe Co.  

606-864-1216

Ask for Terry Reece.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Liberty 35 in granite and it was about $1200. It is a nice safe and has an excellent fire rating!! 45 minute at 1375F

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a Liberty Colonial 23 myself...Once I buy a townhouse, I'm gonna sell this puppy... -Bill
-San Mateo, CA

View Quote

If you sell it anytime soon, let me know. I might be able to pick it up.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Highland, how do you like your 35?  I also choose to get the Granite finsih for two reasons, it was $50 less, and the safe was going in the basement so who cares.  One more questions for you large safe guys, are these things that hard to move around?  He wanted $70 to deliver the safe and install the dehumidifer rod.  The safe ways 600lbs and I thought it would not be that hard to move.  My friend has a harley hauler and he said he would help me.  Can 2 men do this job?  The safe doesn't have to go up stairs or anything like that.  The only big obstacle is getting it off of the trailer and onto the dolly.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Highland, how do you like your 35?  I also choose to get the Granite finsih for two reasons, it was $50 less, and the safe was going in the basement so who cares.  One more questions for you large safe guys, are these things that hard to move around?  He wanted $70 to deliver the safe and install the dehumidifer rod.  The safe ways 600lbs and I thought it would not be that hard to move.  My friend has a harley hauler and he said he would help me.  Can 2 men do this job?  The safe doesn't have to go up stairs or anything like that.  The only big obstacle is getting it off of the trailer and onto the dolly.
View Quote

IMO...I would pay the $70.00 to have it delivered OR you'll needat least four guys to move it safely.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#15]
If the women are bodybuilders or something, then they can be some help. IF not, they'll just bitch and not even try (at least the ones I know).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top