Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2008 10:48:21 PM EDT
I all my years I've never heard of such a thing.

www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7011193998

Charleston, SC (AHN) - A 10-year-old South Carolina boy died of "drowning" several hours after he was on dry ground, a coroner's report has found.

Johnny Jackson died of "dry drowning," a form of asphyxiation that happens when a small amount of water gets into the lungs and damages tissue, causing the lungs to swell and fill up with water.

The boy's mother, Cassandra Jackson, said Johnny went swimming in a local pool at Goose Greek on Sunday. Though the child didn't show any signs of respiratory distress, he "soiled himself," NBC News reported.

He walked home with his mother and sister and after his mother bathed him he told her he felt sleepy. When she went to check on him later she saw his face was covered in a "spongy white material." He was rushed to hospital but died of cardiac arrest on the way.

Doctors believe when water gets into lungs accidentally, like it had in Johnny's case, the lungs can't bring oxygen to the blood or the brain. The water can flood the lungs up to 24 hours after swimming or bathing. In very rare cases, it can also occur following a bath.

Experts recommend not letting a child swallow too much pool or bath water. Sometimes water enters the windpipe after diving or jumping into a pool. Any forced pressure on the front of the neck during swimming can also be a trigger.

Parents should look out for symptoms including difficulty breathing, extreme tiredness, and changes in behavior, which result from the brain not getting enough oxygen because of water in the lungs.

Poor kid & parents.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I all my years I've never heard of such a thing.

www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7011193998

Poor kid & parents.

Secondary drowning.  Can happen hours after aspiration of either fresh or salt water.  Either way, the body pours in fluids to dilute the difference in salinity, flooding the lungs.

EVERY near drowning is an IMMEDIATE EMERGENCY.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Every time I accidentally choke on a little water I can die? Anything to prevent this once a little water has been inhaled?

Edit
Happens quite alot to me if you are swimming in open water.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
pretty freakin rare I would imagine.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC from my days of teaching SCUBA, this is more likely to happen in fresh water than salt water. Salt water being more compatable with the human body.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IIRC from my days of teaching SCUBA, this is more likely to happen in fresh water than salt water. Salt water being more compatable with the human body.

Can happen in either.  Fresh water has no salt, seawater has three times as much.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can happen in either.  Fresh water has no salt, seawater has three times as much.

0x3=0

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what was three times zero again?  

-X
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Compared to body fluids?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can happen in either.  Fresh water has noless than 0.05% salt, seawater has three times as muchbetween 3% and 5%.

0x3=0

Fixed for you
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
so someone that knows- what was the white stuff on his face after he died?

lung tissue?

pretty sad.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#11]
 sucks
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

lung tissue?

pretty sad.

When I was a kid me and the neighbor went to the Kalayaan Pool in Subic. He drowned. After the lifeguard fished him out of the pool, he had some foamy stuff coming out of his nose/mouth.

I don't know what it was and I havn't thought about that in years.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#13]
the company i work for owns this property. i work at a differnt property not to far away.

edit: i guess the article doesnt explain it well, it happened at an apartment complex.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can happen in either.  Fresh water has noless than 0.05% salt, seawater has three times as muchbetween 3% and 5%.

0x3=0

Fixed for you

And the body has around .9% NaCl, so 3% salt would be three times what the body has.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Never heard of this, but the equivalent would be when an elderly person dies from water in their lungs, part of other issues.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

lung tissue?

pretty sad.

Foamy lung exudate (bodily fluids).

RF
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#18]
That's to bad. Poor kid.
Man, you just never know.

Teach your kid to cross the street. Stay away form the bad stuff. Firearm safety.
And then something like this happens.
Prayers to the parents.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#19]
As much as we hate to admit it or as hard as it is to admit it - this is the cleaning of the gene pool.
This is not normal. This is not a strong individual  . This is nature at work.
Still one can feel sorrow for the family .
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]
If you had watched enough Bay Watch with sound you would know this
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
As much as we hate to admit it or as hard as it is to admit it - this is the cleaning of the gene pool.
This is not normal. This is not a strong individual  . This is nature at work.
Still one can feel sorrow for the family .

he was autistic acording to the property manager of the property where this happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top