Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2008 10:32:00 PM EDT
What is the best way to remove that crappy looking window tint that so many cars have?  I just got my hands on a used Honda Civic that has that crap on it.  Is there a way to unglue it or do I have to scrape it off?

To complicate matters, the back window has those defroster lines stuff on it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same problem, but with a 1986 Iroc-Z28.  I tried scraping it off, but I chewed up some of the defroster lines on the rear glass.  I heard there was a stripper chemical in a spray can you could buy to get it off easier, but I never got around to searching for it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Try a heat gun.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
OK this is an easy one.

1. a hot sunny day

2 black garbage bags cut into single sheets larger than the window.

3. spray bottle with hand dish washing soap and water solution.

OK, spray down the tint side of the window, soak it with the water and soap.  Then crack the window, and put the bag on the wet side of the window.  make sure it is in complete contact with the window.  take the top of the bag and put it over the top  of the window.   Roll up window and make sure tint and bag are completely touching everywhere.

Do this on all windows, its imperative the tint is soaked and the bags are completely touching every square inch of the tint.

Put car in sun for a few hours.

Start to peel the tint on one corner with razor knife.

Pull firmly and slowly.

Tint should come right off and may leave a bit of glue behind that you can easily scrap off with a razor blade.

I have had to do it a couple of times per the man...
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Razor blade man.go for it
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Razor blade man.go for it

Yup box of blades and dig in. Once you got the tint off use windex or rubbing alcohol to get the stubborn glue off. Scrape away.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Pressure washer...
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OK this is an easy one.

1. a hot sunny day

2 black garbage bags cut into single sheets larger than the window.

3. spray bottle with hand dish washing soap and water solution.

OK, spray down the tint side of the window, soak it with the water and soap.  Then crack the window, and put the bag on the wet side of the window.  make sure it is in complete contact with the window.  take the top of the bag and put it over the top  of the window.   Roll up window and make sure tint and bag are completely touching everywhere.

Do this on all windows, its imperative the tint is soaked and the bags are completely touching every square inch of the tint.

Put car in sun for a few hours.

Start to peel the tint on one corner with razor knife.

Pull firmly and slowly.

Tint should come right off and may leave a bit of glue behind that you can easily scrap off with a razor blade.

I have had to do it a couple of times per the man...

This.

Alternately, you can use 409 in place of dish soap. (I used to work for a car audio/tint shop.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I recently had to do this.

On the side windows proceed as follows:

1. Cover inside of door with trash bag so little bits of glue don't gunk up the interior.
2. Peel the tint off. With luck and by going slow you can get it to take most of the glue with it. I found that heating it actually made the glue stay with the glass. I'd recommend avoiding heat but YMMV.
3. Spray with Windex/scrape with razor, wipe glue off razor with rag, repeat until clean.

The first window will take you 15-20 minutes until you get the hang of it, the remaining 3 will take about 5 each.

On the rear window:

1. Spray with water on the outside and test defroster to see if all the wires actually work. This will make you feel better afterwords as you'll know you weren't responsible for all of those broken defroster wires.
2. Cover interior.
2. Peel.
3. Windex and 0000 steel wool. Rub in the direction of the defroster wires. You will use a lot of steel wool as it gets gummed up.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#10]
i have been in the tint business for 10+ years. you can take it to a pro, but you dont have to. use a razorblade and soap and water on the side windows. use the forementioned trashdag method on the rear, however use 409 for 15 minutes exactly on more. and just peelit off. if there is any glue left on the back use a greeny pad. email me if you have any questions. good luck
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i have been in the tint business for 10+ years. you can take it to a pro, but you dont have to. use a razorblade and soap and water on the side windows. use the forementioned trashdag method on the rear, however use 409 for 15 minutes exactly on more. and just peelit off. if there is any glue left on the back use a greeny pad. email me if you have any questions. good luck

Post whore!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top