Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2008 6:11:58 PM EDT
I'm looking for a nice watch, i want something that i can wear everyday, but still looks really nice. i have a couple of questions,

1.)what's quartz and automatic? does this mean i have to wind it? what's the battery life for both of these?

i'm looking at something like these...

sweet tag watch

lumi-nox

or

super expensive omega...never going to get it...

I saw this, and i really like the blue bezel with the blue face, which led me to the tag, which led me to the luminox...is the tag worth the extra money? is there one with the blue bezel and face that costs about as much as a luminox? anything else i should know about watches?

thanks,
Tom

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quartz is a crystal that vibrates at a known rate. This is what keeps the watch timed. Automatic is a mechanical watched that has a weight that winds the watch when you move your arm. I own several automatics. A few are Seiko 5's, which come in at around the $50 range. I like them for their uniqueness. Not many people have automatics or mechanicals of any kind in the states.

ETA: Expensive watch brands like Rolex are mechanical.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a nice watch, i want something that i can wear everyday, but still looks really nice. i have a couple of questions,

1.)what's quartz and automatic? does this mean i have to wind it? what's the battery life for both of these?

My quartz watches typically last 3-5 years. An automatic if worn everyday will need no winding most of the time. If you take it off it will run down but there are watch boxes that you can buy that will keep the watch wound when you are not wearing it. Google Tissot and Stauer for quality low priced autos.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My quartz watches typically last 3-5 years. An automatic if worn everyday will need no winding most of the time. If you take it off it will run down but there are watch boxes that you can buy that will keep the watch wound when you are not wearing it. Google Tissot and Stauer for quality low priced autos.

No, no no!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top