Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2008 9:12:38 AM EDT
Stop by the local Mini Mart today to get a pack of gum. Ask the girl behind the counter how her day was and she started a rant about how much business is off. She was telling me how the regulars have told her how they make a point of filling the gas tank when they go to PA to stock up on smokes. Granted I live near the PA boarder but wonder what the long term effects of the high fuel cost and cigarette taxes will have on gas stations/Mini Marts in NY. Price of milk is still not bad but I have never seen the parking lots so empty at these places.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#1]
New York should raise taxes to make up for the loss.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Definitely, they need to raise taxes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#3]
They'll put tollgates on every road leaving New York.

"Somebody gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes!"
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#4]
India will be pissed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#5]
What is the difference in price between NY and PA?

I once heard that a little less than $.20/gal is taxes.  So, if PA has no gas taxes, it should be $.20 cheaper, but I have never seen gas in PA that much cheaper, only in NJ or OH was it considerably cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the point is that they're punishing NY by not only taking their cigarette taxes out of state, but the fuel tax as well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
New York should raise taxes to make up for the loss.

lol

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Stop by the local Mini Mart today to get a pack of gum. Ask the girl behind the counter how her day was and she started a rant about how much business is off. She was telling me how the regulars have told her how they make a point of filling the gas tank when they go to PA to stock up on smokes. Granted I live near the PA boarder but wonder what the long term effects of the high fuel cost and cigarette taxes will have on gas stations/Mini Marts in NY. Price of milk is still not bad but I have never seen the parking lots so empty at these places.
Tighten your belt, cause its gonna be a long recession
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#9]
It seems that everyone who was able to get cigarettes out of state or on a reservation already were.  The tax hike may changed a little of that but I doubt any significant amount.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#10]
gas prices are hitting people. Many cannot afford to drive less, so they cut back elsewhere, such as getting snacks at the mini mart or daily cup of starbucks coffee
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
gas prices are hitting people. Many cannot afford to drive less, so they cut back elsewhere, such as getting snacks at the mini mart or daily cup of starbucks coffee

yep.  so then the companies make less money, either cut pay, lay off, or close completely.  company employees have less or no money, they can't afford to buy things so that's less money going into other businesses.  rinse and repeat over and over again, and you have the ripple effect.

the inverse is true if you cut taxes and give people more of their hard earned money back.  more disposable income = more spending at businesses = business prospers = more jobs/pay raises = more disposable income = more spending = more prosperity = more jobs = etc etc etc.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Our lives have to change, we are at war, not in Iraq, not in Afghanistan but worldwide for dwindling resources; water, food, and energy. 28,000 jobs are heading south or west, the housing crisis and the devalued dollar are all fueling the recession. the ObamaMessiah will have to perform miracles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top