Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2008 6:36:50 AM EDT
It used to be .10, now in a lot of places its .08, and there are talks of it getting lowered again.

What would you make it if you had super law-changing powers?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:42:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It used to be .10, now in a lot of places its .08, and there are talks of it getting lowered again.

I would make killing someone while drunk driving a capitol offense.

There would be no BAC restriction.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
it should be scaled based on weight. A 250 lbs. male at .10 is less impaired than a 100 lbs. female at .07. I weigh 230 and I've used a portable breathalyzer (used at my friends house, he owned it) I was at .08 after 4 beers and I was not impaired in the least. (I still crashed at said friends house)
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would make killing someone while drunk driving a capitol offense.

There would be no BAC restriction.

And only if the accident was your fault.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
it should be scaled based on weight. A 250 lbs. male at .10 is less impaired than a 100 lbs. female at .07. I weigh 230 and I've used a portable breathalyzer (used at my friends house, he owned it) I was at .08 after 4 beers and I was not impaired in the least. (I still crashed at said friends house)

was anyone injured?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

was anyone injured?

Just the girl I banged that night
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What?  BAC is already the scaled measure of intoxication. Maybe what you mean is that the NUMBER of drinks allowed should be scaled by weight, sex, which it is for the BAC measurement.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#7]
DUI should be a traffic infraction; a fine, walk home or call someone.

If you kill or injure someone, it should be the same charge as shooting or stabbing someone.

If they want to use the "impared" position, then we should toss a lot of old drivers, women, people from lower AL, and people who drive when they are tired.

I've done work with the MADD people around here and have found them to be the biggest bunch of hypocrites around.

ETA: We've played with the portable test units before (LE ones) and I've blown a .14 and been fine... Different people handle booze differently, at different times too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I have no sympathy for drunk drivers, because I've taken care of too many of their victims.  Often the drunk one is fine and it's the others who suffer.

One night we had a guy and his daughter in adjoining operating rooms, reported to be victims of DUI.  I was taking care of the father, and we managed (just barely, and I mean pushing incredibly high doses of lifesaving drugs) to keep him alive long enough to get to the ICU for his family to see him alive one last time.  You see, we didn't want both the father and daughter to die in the operating room.  That was a very bad night.

Getting old and not knowing you are impaired is one thing.  Drinking and then getting behind the wheel is a conscious decision.  I'm not saying that other drivers aren't sometimes impaired by age/illness/cell phones/etc.  What I am saying is that drinking and driving is a willful, negligent act that can result in tragedy.  Just because someone says they can drive fine while intoxicated doesn't make it true.  Others will say they have practiced enough to be able drive fine with alcohol on board.  This stuff affects decision making, reaction time, and coordination - you can't fight biochemistry with bravado by claiming you're immune to the effects.

That argument will hold ZERO water with me, since I chemically intoxicate people every day and am intimately familiar with the effects.  Some of our drugs act on the brain almost identically to alcohol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top