Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/6/2008 4:57:57 AM EDT
So it's that time of year, school is out. My Neighbors directly behind me have some teenage kids that throw parties in their back yard EVERY night of the week during the summer. Keep in mind these neighbors have the world's most annoying Jack Russel Terrier that runs the length of the fence barking non stop the entire time my family members are in our yard and keep in mind these Neighbors have bitched at me for things like my Son shooting his totally awesome air soft full auto AK in our backyard (not in their direction) and for playing country music when we barbeque, the music is never ever loud and the barbeque is damn good.

These kids go as far as to project movies on the back of their house in the Summer so every neighborhood kid is in their backyard. They are very, very loud. I know they are drinking and getting high and I asked the parents nicely last Summer more than once to curtail the parties, and they refuse. The parents of the kids are from the "entitled" generation and I guess the block belongs to them. We are a very quiet family and get a long with everybody.

I refuse to bring the Cops into this, refuse and the parents refuse to stop these parties which go on until 2 or 3 am sometimes.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#1]
My suggestion: Nothing, the same answer you've come up with.  If you know the parents aren't going to do anything, and you refuse to bring the police into the situation, then your only other legal action is sit there and take it.  

Enjoy your summer.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Which direction are the prevailing winds?

Stink bombs, high concentration of OC, foul smoke, or any other airborne foul smell/irritant you can think of
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:02:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Paintball grenade over the fence?

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My suggestion: Nothing, the same answer you've come up with.  If you know the parents aren't going to do anything, and you refuse to bring the police into the situation, then your only other legal action is sit there and take it.  

Enjoy your summer.

Because I don't want the Cops to be the neighbor nannies?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Which direction are the prevailing winds?

Stink bombs, high concentration of OC, foul smoke, or any other airborne foul smell/irritant you can think of

You know I do have a couple colored smokes, I guess I could pull the pin and let 'er roll. Don't think there is any local ordnance against GI smoke grenades. Those things put a nice burn in your grass though.

ETA: On my side of the fence of course.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Paintball grenade over the fence?

I don't want to do anything illegal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#7]
ok- you have kids doing illegal stuff, every night, disturbing neighbors, you dont want to call the popo?

I agree i hate calling them to babysit stupid people, but sometimes it has to be done.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:08:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Nothing illegal, no cops, no parents to enforce any rules over there.

You're fucked.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#9]
When they complained to you, what did you do?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Most municipalities have noise ordinances. In other words, your neighbors are BREAKING THE LAW.

But you refuse to file a complaint?

Well... those ordinances exist to protect people in situations such as yours. But if you refuse to exercise your rights, then deal with it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Suck it up Francis.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:12:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Throw loud country music / Airsoft parties at the same time...Duh!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Enjoy your summer.

Gotta say +1
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:14:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

no- do it when THEY are quiet for a change...means maybe they got tired of parties and want a bit of quiet time.  Bet you ten bucks THEY call teh cops on you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#15]
That's a depressing situation.  One reason I never want to have to live in the burbs.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#16]
If their is underage drinking and drugs, then call the cop. It's only a matter of time before they damage your property, or someone gets hurt. That's why you pay taxes. So you don't have to put up with this crap.

Call the cops everyday or every other day. The cops will put an end to it just because they get sick of responding to the calls or have some donuts and coffee waiting for the cops when they get there. Then they will not mind coming over everyday.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:15:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
When they complained to you, what did you do?

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I told them that they were plastic BB's being shot into a plywood box in the opposite direction of their dog and in no way would he get hurt, and he doesn't. I think they just dislike "my kind" and combat legal activity with obnoxious illegal activity.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Contrary to popular belief around here, cops don't mind working. Call them, but only after you speak with the parents (if you think you can safely do so).

A $1087 noise ordinance violation ticket may be the only thing that quiets things down. Bear in mind that you may also start a neighbor-neighbor war.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:16:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Did you ever invite them over for this "damn good" barbeque?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yeah that's not a half bad idea.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Enjoy your summer.

This.  

If you try to get you point across with smoke grenades, you will be the one with The Man in your driveway and they will establish themselves as the poor victim of the nutjob neighbor.  

When you try to explain what shitheads they are, The Man will explain that they said the same thing about you and that he-said / she-said shit don't fly.  The Man will then tell you that you need to mind the business on your side of the fence and that 'no contact' is the best policy.  They will then tell you to call them if you have any problems, rather than try to deal with the neighbors directly.  

This is why you should call them for after hours noise complaints and open use of drugs as it is happening.  If they pull up and see what is going on, then they can act on it.  

Otherwise, move.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No. They aren't friendly people.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A $1087 noise ordinance violation ticket may be the only thing that quiets things down. Bear in mind that you may also start a neighbor-neighbor war.

Or the parents could end up with at least a misdemeanor conviction for letting minors drink at the house.

The OP only has two real choices: endure a summer of loud parties next door every night, or move.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:19:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Pop your head over the fence, mutter to yourself, look at young females and pretend to touch your junk.  If a male comes over to the fence to confront you, look directly at him, mutter to yourself and pretend to touch your junk.  On second thought, that probably falls into the "illegal" category.  

But seriously, it sounds like you're going to need to speak to your neighbor and set some reasonable limits on their parties.  Maybe you could agree that they'll wind up by midnight.  You may not actually call the cops but you could mention that "I'd hate to call the cops and get you folks in trouble for underage drinking or violation of noise ordnances, so let's try to work something out."  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Talk to the other neighbors and if they are willing, have a group of you go talk with the offending folks. At least you will outnumber them if it comes to fisticuffs.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:20:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think your being antisocial!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Any illegal parking going on?  On the grass on the sides of the road?  On your property?  Partly on the road?  Pointing the wrong way?

Get all of those vehicles towed.  Teenagers hate that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#28]
tell the popo that you have a good yard to run thier drug sniffing dogs in.. when they run over to the neighbors and sits down, hilarity will ensue.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:23:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I just don't understand why teenage boys have to literally shout at the top of their lungs when gathered together, they can't talk, they have to shout. And they listen to the world's gayest music.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:23:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well.................youre kinda fracked then if you dont want to involve the police.

You wont be neighborly in a good .......or a bad way.......all thats left is to catch the minors drinking and smoking on video and extort the parents into putting a halt to the festivities.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Your old arnt you?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:24:11 AM EDT
[#32]
It's not a matter of the police being the neighborhood nannies. It's about your right to not have to listen to all that. If it bothers you enough to bring it to this forum do something about it and have the police deal with them. If you don't want to do that then you are left to sit there and take it. Harsh but true. Doing nothing is going to let it get worse. Use you tax dollars and let the police get involved.

Even better, next time it happens ask the police to come to YOUR house and let them hear the noise and they'll decide what to do.

Prib
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:24:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
tell the popo that you have a good yard to run thier drug sniffing dogs in.. when they run over to the neighbors and sits down, hilarity will ensue.

LOL There are no drug sniffing dogs here.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:24:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Your old arnt you?

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#35]
ok well you are not old then
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:25:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I know I am going to have to break down and call the man, I just hate asking Cops to nanny us.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
ok well you are not old then

Yeah, kinda gettin' there though
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?! If that's the case then why in hell would you put up with that kind of shit?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:27:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?! If that's the case then why in hell would you put up with that kind of shit?

Like I said, has nothing to do with them, just hate being a little bitch calling the Cops to complain about things like this.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

No, start the Country Western party at 6:30AM (legal noise time in most juristictions). They will not be in good shape after a night like the OP described!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Fill some buckets with water along the fence line and start breeding mosquitoes?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:32:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Is there a homeowners association or something other than the police that you can have put pressure on them?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Search the internet-there is a device (I think it is made in England) that emits a high pitched signal only audible to teenagers-from what i have read it is completely effective. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:36:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I know I am going to have to break down and call the man, I just hate asking Cops to nanny us.

Enforcing existing laws is nannying?

You've got an interesting view of the world.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said, has nothing to do with them, just hate being a little bitch calling the Cops to complain about things like this.

Believe it or not, there are acceptable reasons for calling the police, and I believe this is one of them, you shouldn't have to deal with neighbors like that, and by calling the police does not make you a little bitch.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with you 100%, but since our laws will not allow you to set them on fire, you don't have much of a choice if you really want to do something about the problem.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I agree about always trying to not involve the cops, however, in this case you have no choice really.  Just do it.  

What kind of music do they listen to?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I know they are drinking and getting high

I refuse to bring the Cops into this, refuse and the parents refuse to stop these parties which go on until 2 or 3 am sometimes.

Any suggestions?

Move.

Personally, I'd get up high with a video camera, and record the alcohol and drug use, then take it around to LEO, CPS, maybe the TV news "Parents holding drug/alcohol parties for neighborhood youth" type thing. I'd bring as much heat down all at once as possible.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#49]
What would your avatar do?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Enjoy your summer.

And there you have it...

By your refusal to involve the Police, you have become an enabler to allow the children to break the law without any consequence and reinforce bothe the children's & parent's irresponsible behavior.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top