Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 9:54:11 PM EDT
Towards the end of the month, I'm going to be driving from South Florida to Detroit. I'm spending two days in Detroit, then I would like to drive over to IL to visit a friend in Chicago before I fly home. Is there any way I can LEAGALLY enter the City with the pistol that is going to be taking the trip with me? I'm not driving cross-country unarmed, but I would really like to see Chicago. Do I have any options other than mailing the glock to myself from somewhere between Detroit and Chicago?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Bring enough money to bribe cops and smugglers, and enough ammo to shoot your way out. With all of the election coverage I have seen enough of Chicago to know that I never want to go there.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as it's cased, unloaded, ammo separate I wouldn't imagine it being an issue. I've flown out of O'Hare and checked a pistol before without problems. Check the actual law to be sure.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Illinois says you must to have a FOID (firearms owner id) to be in possession of any firearm. infact, you have to have one before you can even touch a firearm in a store.

however, technically, you might be able to have a handgun with you is if you are making one continuous trip through the state, stopping only as necessary for gas, food, etc. with no side trips (sight seeing, etc). even then, if you are stopped, they could hassle you and try to arrest you, because they may not know that the interstate travel provision should trump the state FOID law.

if you are going to go through the state, keep the weopon unloaded, securely cased, locked, with ammo separate, and not easily accessed by any passenger also.

edit - cleared up grammer in a sentence
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Your only recourse is to federal "peaceable journey laws" which require you to be traveling THROUGH the area and to have the weapon cased, separated from ammunition and not easily accessible to the traveler.  Chicago requires registration of all handguns and they haven't given a registration since 1968.  Only pre-empting federal law helps you.

A good website in general on the topic is here:

www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

IAALBNY (I am a lawyer, but not yours).

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
8-20-010  Unlawful to carry – Exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or maintain in any vehicle or about his or her person except when on his or her property or in his or her residence or fixed place of business, any rifle, shotgun, or other firearm; provided, that this section shall not apply to:

(10)     Transportation of weapons broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

Municipal Code of Chicago
________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope this helps, but be careful non the less.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:33:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
8-20-010  Unlawful to carry – Exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or maintain in any vehicle or about his or her person except when on his or her property or in his or her residence or fixed place of business, any rifle, shotgun, or other firearm; provided, that this section shall not apply to:

(10)     Transportation of weapons broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

Municipal Code of Chicago
________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope this helps, but be careful non the less.

Be careful here, because the non-functional exception only applies to the "unlawful to carry" statute.  It does NOT apply to the requirement to have all handguns registered.  These are two separate offenses.

For this you have ONLY the preemption of the federal peaceable journey statute.  You have to comply with the more stringent dictates of THAT statute (no stopping for non-travel related reasons), etc.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#7]
FOID cards are only for IllAnnoy residents. Out of state people can possess on an out of state drivers liscense (obviously not carry)
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
okay... i checked a couple of things, and sprayandpray is correct regarding non residents.

here is the link to the FOID info. print out a copy and keep it with you in illinois.

foid information

Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
   (a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm,

stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
       (2) No person may acquire or possess firearm

ammunition within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
   (b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:
       (1) United States Marshals, while engaged in the

operation of their official duties;
       (2) Members of the Armed Forces of the United States

or the National Guard, while engaged in the operation of their official duties;
       (3) Federal officials required to carry firearms,

while engaged in the operation of their official duties;
       (4) Members of bona fide veterans organizations

which receive firearms directly from the armed forces of the United States, while using the firearms for ceremonial purposes with blank ammunition;
       (5) Nonresident hunters during hunting season, with

valid nonresident hunting licenses and while in an area where hunting is permitted; however, at all other times and in all other places these persons must have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;
       (6) Those hunters exempt from obtaining a hunting

license who are required to submit their Firearm Owner's Identification Card when hunting on Department of Natural Resources owned or managed sites;
       (7) Nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range

recognized by the Department of State Police; however, these persons must at all other times and in all other places have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;
       (8) Nonresidents while at a firearm showing or

display recognized by the Department of State Police; however, at all other times and in all other places these persons must have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;
       (9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and

enclosed in a case;
       (10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or

registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;

however, the foid faq says

How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits firearms or handguns?
Illinois' Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local authorities regarding their firearm ordinances.

so you may want to check this link from the Illionois State Rifle Assoc.

Sorry for the bad information on the FOID for nonresidents. I was traveling at one point, and was assigned to chicago for several months. Wanting to have a firearm with me, I had contacted the state police for information regarding possession of a firearm, and they had said it was permitted for nonresidents only for hunting, competitions, or for sales, and only going to, or at, those events. Otherwise, I had to obtain a FOID.

I should have looked it up myself, back then.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#10]
hmmm.. city of chicago has a municipal firearm regulation with restriction on pistols and revolvers.

section 8-20-040 (a) says all firearms in the city of chigago shall be registered, no person shall, within the city of chicagoe, possess unless the the person has a registration certificate for the firearm (the firearm is registered).
this does not apply to .
...(5) any non resident of the city of chicago participating in any lawful recreational firearms related activity in the city, or on his way to ro from such activity in andohter jurisdiction, provided, that such weapon shall be unloaded and securely wrapped and that his possession or control of such fireamr is lawful in the jurisdiction in which he resides.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the good provisions of FOPA.

Read this page here.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#13]
You would probably be better off mugging someone at gunpoint than peaceably transporting your disassembled pistol through Illinois.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#14]
When I go to Chicago to visit my brother I carry a G26 concealed (we have a long walk from eating to his apt at night), and I take my VEPR with about 30 mags in the trunk.  I also carry a 3.5" CRKT knife and I'd MUCH rather take the chance of getting busted by a cop than shot up by a gang banger looking for money to buy crack with...

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:05:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One of the good provisions of FOPA.

Read this page here.

I know, and YOU know, that the FOPA is the law of the land.  Chicago does not CARE.  I remember several cases where someone had a legally owned firearm from outside the city, was driving through, and was arrested for possession, regardless of the FOPA.  I haven't lived there for several years, but I am sure that things haven't changed.

I should be so lucky..... Any idea how much some shithead lawyers would make that worth?

" SO officer. My client handed you a printed copy of Federal Law showing he was engaged in a federally protected activity, And you arrested him for a local ordinance violation anyhow? When exactly did Chicago Seceed from the United States?...."

THAT would play out nicely in Sprayandpray v Chicago , The Chicago Police Department , Cook county, The state of IllAnnoy, Mayor Daley, The Chief of police , Barney the purple dinasour , The fraternal brotherhood of assclowns and anyone else I could think to put on the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:25:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Remember that Chicago is the place where the Mayor had an active airport destroyed under the cover of darkness because the feds wouldn't let him close it down.

Quote all the laws you want, but I don't think any technicallity will help you in Chicago.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:31:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Chicago. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:34:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I am doing a trip from VA to MN next week. The most direct route there would take me straight through Chicago and a bit of Illinois in general. I haven't decided if I want to completely drive around IL just to not have to worry about their gun laws. I know damn well I am not going unarmed across country.

Decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:38:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
When I go to Chicago to visit my brother ...[removed]

Not supposed to say that stuff on a public board.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:49:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Chicago. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
I think Central Philadelphia might give it a run for its money.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Towards the end of the month, I'm going to be driving from South Florida to Detroit. I'm spending two days in Detroit, then I would like to drive over to IL to visit a friend in Chicago before I fly home. Is there any way I can LEAGALLY enter the City with the pistol that is going to be taking the trip with me? I'm not driving cross-country unarmed, but I would really like to see Chicago. Do I have any options other than mailing the glock to myself from somewhere between Detroit and Chicago?

There aren't any checkpoints checking for guns in Chicago. I'm not going to tell you to do anything illegal but CONCEALED means CONCEALED
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Your only recourse is to federal "peaceable journey laws" which require you to be traveling THROUGH the area and to have the weapon cased, separated from ammunition and not easily accessible to the traveler.  Chicago requires registration of all handguns and they haven't given a registration since 1968.  Only pre-empting federal law helps you.

A good website in general on the topic is here:

www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

IAALBNY (I am a lawyer, but not yours).

Sorry but that  law is worthless. Ask NYC has arrested people passing though before they will do it again. What makes you think it will stop Shitcago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top