Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 9:15:00 PM EDT
Has this already been posted? I did some searches, came up with nothing.

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JuxGh5axb2k

ETA: For those thinking why was he crossing on a busy city street, let me add this:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The dumbass looked as if he was playing in traffic!

According to the news reporter, the car he was hit by was being chased by another. Or maybe it was the other way around, the car chasing the front vehicle hit him, I forget.

Notice the two cars I'm talking about were in the wrong lane. They crossed over the double yellow line. He was just leisurely crossing the street. Why would he expect two jackasses would illegally pass on a city street like that.

ETA: Update, 911 calls were made

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,364269,00.html
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody wanted to get sued for helping.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Fucking "city folk". I saw the video on O'Rielly.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, If you saw this happen what would you do?

I would call the police obviously but as far as helping him? Shit, what do you do? The guy just got plowed by a car...I am not an EMT and I didnt stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

People were eff'n shocked....this doesnt happen everyday.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I read this article on my home page after work tonight and I almost posted a thread about it myself.

Absolutely disgusting story about the moral rottenness of living in a big city.

Lessons to be learned:

- Do not expect other people to help you.  Most of the time, they won't.

- Although this story involved an accident, it can be applied to a criminal attack too.  By that I mean, do not expect strangers to help you if you are being mugged or robbed.

- Do not expect the police to arrive in a timely manner to help you either.

Bottom line - something we gun rights activists have known for years - only YOU can provide for your own protection, and you are the only one who cares.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Good samaritan laws ftw!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Does his state have a Good Samaritan law? Here in Ga, we cant be sued for offering assistance.............hell if it were me, I would welcome anyone to help
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Shit, what do you do? The guy just got plowed by a car...I am not an EMT and I didnt stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do some very basic first aid.

Maintain c-spine stabilization, and plug holes as able.  If he is conscious keep talking to him, try to keep him awake until EMS gets there. If anything block traffic with your vehicle so he doesn't get hit again.

I didn't watch the video, so I don't know if he was laying in the middle of the roadway or what the situation is.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I would call the police obviously but as far as helping him? Shit, what do you do? The guy just got plowed by a car...I am not an EMT and I didnt stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Organize some people to block traffic so he doesn't get hit again while one calls 911, check his pulse and hold his hand to give him a little comfort, these could be his last moments on Earth.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You can be shocked and still stop. At a minimum, you could block traffic and tell someone to make a 911 call. Look at all the people that basically just drove around him  while he was lying in the street.

I know this isn't listed in the video, but I should also mention that no one ever did even call the police apparently. The news report said the police just happened to notice him lying in the street on their way to an unrelated event.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell, I just had a motorcycle accident on Interstate 90.

One person stopped to check and see if I was OK.

ETA: And he was going the other direction, he turned around in the crossover and came back to check if I was OK.

He wasn't an EMT or anything either, he was a pizza hut rep.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Man that was a fast responce time for the police.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#13]
it is just sickening...especially how people just continue on by...no one even called the police?? WTF?

Is it just me or does it look like someone swerved towards him??? Granted the video does not show all..
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How you could walk past a man who is hit by a car and laying in the street is beyond me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How you could walk past a man who is hit by a car and laying in the street is beyond me.

And I thought those bleeding liberals had a heart! Seriously, it is from one of the more liberal parts of the country...the NE.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#16]
The other day on my way home from work some people in a busted-down small truck ran out of gas right in front of me just at the beginning of an intersection.  

Not a big deal or anything...

I thought about zipping around and going on, but didn't.  I just parked my truck to the side and ran out there and pushed.  About halfway across the woman in the driver's seat was cranking and it grabbed the last few ounces from the corner of the tank - enough to get them moving.

By that time the left turn arrow had come on and cars were coming at me from the other way.  I put my hand up and walked between them back to my truck.  

I felt a little wierd out there, but the people were obviously not going anywhere without some help and guess what  - no one else was stopping to help.  

Not to brag here - it's just a wierd phenomenon that seems to be getting worse.  

Do what you can to help out  - it will always come back to you better.

The world needs more heroes and less that are blind.

-grommet
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#17]
This isn't anything new.

Any old people will remember the Kitty Genovese stabbing.

It's called the Bystander Effect
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw that at work, pisses me the fark off.  I would gone and gave what assistance I could, at least assure the man help was coming.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:43:08 AM EDT
[#20]
MYOB
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:54:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I heard about this on the radio.  Honestly would it have hurt anyone to at least call an ambulance?  Forget trying to administer first aid (that shouldn't be done without the proper training) somebody with a cell phone could have, at the very least called 911.  From what I heard on the radio the cops showed up on an un-related call.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:06:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Speaking as a former EMS director, current ER doc, sometimes first-responder, and link in the chain-o-survival, I can say that bystander involvement is like a  box of chocolates.

Sometimes you'll get a trained individual who steps in to help... an off-duty paramedic, an ex-military BTDT type, etc... even the occasional trauma-trained physician who knows their limitations (important!).  

On the other side of that coin, I've seen well-meaning (and sometimes grandstanding) bystanders pull some seriously bone-headed, life-threatening stunts at accident scenes.  Climbing into crushed vehicles without bunker gear and cutting themselves up... pulling people out of non-burning vehicles without regard for C-spine immobilization... that kind of thing.

By the news reports I saw, the man is paralyzed, and in critical condition at the hospital.  That means he probably had a C-spine injury, which is something a bystander could seriously exacerbate if they didn't know what they were doing.

Of course I'd step in to help him, but I wouldn't hold most of the general public to the same standard I'd hold myself in that situation.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:45:15 AM EDT
[#23]
The police would make any 911 caller a "person of interest"
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:12:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
On the other side of that coin, I've seen well-meaning (and sometimes grandstanding) bystanders pull some seriously bone-headed, life-threatening stunts at accident scenes.  Climbing into crushed vehicles without bunker gear and cutting themselves up... pulling people out of non-burning vehicles without regard for C-spine immobilization... that kind of thing.

That's because they've seen too many cars explode for no reason on tv.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:28:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Looks like the first guy that actually walked up and stood over the injured guy was taking photos with a cell phone.    

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:44:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I have to say I live and work in a pretty good area. I would bet that 98% of the time when I pull up on the scene of a MVA, person fallen, seizure ect. that people are at least trying to comfort the patient. Even with no training someone may grab a blanket to cover the person. Even after I start care someone will ask if I need any help. Of course I don't work in a very large city and a large part of my area is country.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#27]
further proof that society is rotten to the core.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Doesn't give you a good picture of society, does it?  I'm used to living in a rural area where most people will stop to at least offer help.  Heck, in this case, someone could have at least used their vehicle to keep traffic off of him until help arrived.

Others are right, most of us who CCW have known this about society for a long time.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#29]
i was kind of surprised by how many cars drove right on past him.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:31:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

ETA: And he was going the other direction, he turned around in the crossover and came back to check if I was OK.

Damn salesmen are always looking for an angle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yep.  Shitbag lawyers started this trend.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

According to the news reporter, the car he was hit by was being chased by another. Or maybe it was the other way around, the car chasing the front vehicle hit him, I forget.

Notice the two cars I'm talking about were in the wrong lane. They crossed over the double yellow line. He was just leisurely crossing the street. Why would he expect two jackasses would illegally pass on a city street like that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#34]
saw the piece on Fox News tonight, looks like he's doing OK.  Don't invite the Man into your life
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's my question: WTF was he doing in the street in the first place?

There is a reason why yo' momma said "DON'T PLAY IN THE STREET!!!!!"

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I did a refresher workplace safety first aid course a few weeks ago, but it also covered general first aid for the home/street.

Where I live (Melbourne, Austalia), there are good samaritan laws (every state in Australia has them). If you are trying to give someone first aid, as long as what you do is reasonable under the circumstances of the time, you will not be held liable for the consequences. If you have some training, as long as you stick to what you have been trained to do, the same still applies (I'm still peeved the instructor never got us started on roadside brain transplants!   ). It's when people do more than is reasonable that they can end up in court.

The instructor told us during the course that there is a legal case pending (they didn't say exactly where) involving someone getting something in their eye at work, and someone else at the workplace grabbed what they thought was some kind of ointment from the first aid case and put it on the person's eye. The ointment was a haemmeroid cream (which should NEVER have been in that case in the first place, and was probably put there by an individual at that company for their personal use). The person with the eye problem is now basically blind in that eye and has taken the other person to court over inappropriate actions, and possibly the company as well over inappropriate substances being stored in the first aid kit.

Personal medications have absolutely no place in a workplace first aid kit. Keep them in a desk, in a cupboard, in a locker, in your car, or somewhere else private. A workplace first aid kit is supposed to be accessable to everyone at the company for emergency purposes. What's to stop someone else from taking your medication from the case and giving it to someone else, especially when that medication is entirely inappropriate for the situation at hand?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Here's my question: WTF was he doing in the street in the first place?

There is a reason why yo' momma said "DON'T PLAY IN THE STREET!!!!!"

Let me refer you to my post two posts above yours:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#38]
The article that I read indicated that at least 4 different people did call 911.

I'm not going to condemn people for actions that are basic human nature.  Read up on the psychology before you assume that the people around are all terrible, etc...

Having said that, I would have stepped in to help.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn salesmen are always looking for an angle.

To bad pizza hut has shitty food.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The article that I read indicated that at least 4 different people did call 911.

I'm not going to condemn people for actions that are basic human nature.  Read up on the psychology before you assume that the people around are all terrible, etc...

Having said that, I would have stepped in to help.

Yep, just read an article about that myself. It's on Foxnews.coms homepage pic.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,364269,00.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top