Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/5/2008 4:15:11 PM EDT
I was flipping channels when I stumbled across the show Academy. It is about a bunch of future LEO's going through training. I then noticed that the instructors were wearing campaign
hats. As a former DI I was offended. Can any of you leo's explain this practice? For the military to wear them is one thing but the treating of leo's as a paramilitary force is going to far. IMHO.  I can remember when SWAT was designed for Hostage Rescue not drug raids and high risk warrant roundups. I am not a cop hater by any means but I just cannot understand this move toward militarization.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
you may not have been here long, but you're in the right place my friend
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thxs.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just cannot understand this move toward militarization.

I bet you'd shit your drawers if you saw the Florida Highway Patrol and their 2000+ campaign covers.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you may not have been here long, but you're in the right place my friend

Now that was funny, I don't care who you are.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not really speaking to that issue. Campaign hats are suppose to be a hat that separates you from the common. In our military non one but the DI gets to wear the coveted hat. I remember getting mine before parade. It felt good to be different. I EARNED that hat.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah, so seeing somebody else wearing it makes you feel like you're not special any more. Sounds like the problem isn't so much with the police as it is with you.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Law Enforcement Agencies ARE para military organizations. There is nothing wrong with wearing a campaign hat.  I wear one when it rains to keep me drier.  It is a fucking hat for crying out loud.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Serious case of Deja-Vu right now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#9]
No vanilla I put the blood sweat into EARNING THAT HAT. It is like the Army went to give everyone a beret. Beret was established as a mark of distinction. Now that everyone has one thaqt mark went away. My problem is with the militarization of law enforcement. They try and look the part and act the part but they aint and it is not suppose to be that way!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just cannot understand this move toward militarization.

I bet you'd shit your drawers if you saw the Florida Highway Patrol and their 2000+ campaign covers.

Or the many other state police agencies around the country who wear them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#11]
What about this usurper of your honor?

Or these dirty bastards, how dare they?

They even are teaching the children to steal your honor and authority! Damn them! Stop them, for the children!

They even teach those little shits to SALUTE like the military! How dare they?!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Where is it written that law enforcement agencies are suppose to be paramilitary. Since when did enforcing the law require an agency to be militaristic?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Where is it written that law enforcement agencies are suppose to be paramilitary. Since when did enforcing the law require an agency to be militaristic?

How dare those bastards have rank, and stripes and bars? Just like the military! Where do they get off with that shit?

Fire them all!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#16]
you must be a cop!!! You have messed the entire point.....
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No, actually, I'm not a cop. Your point is stupid, though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#18]
sticks and stones gorilla........Just continue to be a sheep until they come for you.....
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#20]

You really believe that campaign covers and BDU pants are the root of evil in law enforcement? You've actually convinced yourself of that shit? And you're calling me a sheep.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a question for you then.  Do you not think the Instructor at the Academy earned the right to wear such a hat?  Did he not also endure arduous training, years on the streets encountering dangerous situations, and advanced education in his areas of expertise?

Or perhaps the officer's who have such a hat issued as standard uniform attire?  Now understand that these hats in policing are nothing new and date back to the early part of the last century.  Did those men and women not earn the right to wear their State, city or county's uniform?

Apparently only the military can wear hats and uniforms, and have a chain of command.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
sticks and stones gorilla........Just continue to be a sheep until they come for you.....

Are they going to come for us just because they're wearing campaign hats?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Once again you have missed the point. When these hats were worn by the military of WWi and WWII it was a mark of distinction. Of course they earned it. So much in fact that it was singled out and only given to those of distinction. I'm sure the academy instructors worked hard but it is not the military. Period.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I suggest you never go to a national park.  Since the park rangers (LE and non-LE) wear campaign hats.  I bet you dislike Smokey The Bear, as well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

This is the most proper answer to this.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I suggest you never go to a national park.  Since the park rangers (LE and non-LE) wear campaign hats.  I bet you dislike Smokey The Bear, as well.

Only You!!! Oh and lets not forget that Mr. Ranger wears such a hat in Yogi Bear as well.

Shit, while we're at it, we may as well invade Canada and make the Mounties take theirs off too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn, where's that popcorn image? This'll have to do.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ah, so seeing somebody else wearing it makes you feel like you're not special any more. Sounds like the problem isn't so much with the police as it is with you.

Yeah there's a bear over here wearing blue jeans and carrying a shovel that wants to talk with you about bad mouthing his uniform.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Do you get upset when you see the Marine Corps' Rifle and Pistol Team guys and the PMIs wearing them? They aren't DIs either.

Anyway, campaign hats have been in use by cops for decades, since back when everyone in the military wore them. Of course, the Montana Peak hat style has been around since the 1880s.

Find something important to get pissed off about or, barring that, at least do your homework before you post here about it.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I was flipping channels when I stumbled across the show Academy. It is about a bunch of future LEO's going through training. I then noticed that the instructors were wearing campaign
hats. As a former DI I was offended. Can any of you leo's explain this practice? For the military to wear them is one thing but the treating of leo's as a paramilitary force is going to far. IMHO.  I can remember when SWAT was designed for Hostage Rescue not drug raids and high risk warrant roundups. I am not a cop hater by any means but I just cannot understand this move toward militarization.

Worst rant, EVER!  It's relatively easy here in the GD to get a cop bashing, snow ball rolling.  If you can't even succeed at this, that's too much fail to even quantify.  You are failing at it btw.  Seriously, how can you not get support for a cop bashing thread on arfcom?  Your game is weak.  

Oh yea, and IBTL (obvious trolling a goings on)
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

From Texas?  google is your friend, look up history of the Texas Rangers.  It isn't required, but a certain organizational structure makes sense, where as your post doesn't.

It may be overdone in some cases, but so are a lot of things.  (and being from Texas, you might have run into that once in a while.)
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Man you cops get offended easily. Do I believe BDU style pants mean evil NO The problem is the military and cops have two different missions. Military Blow shit up Cops enforce the law. Just ask the folks at waco, ruby ridge and many other examples. Vanilla your poke at the NG was tastless. The NG does great work all over the world and to demean them is shit!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Nobody is offended. Everybody recognizes that your point is retarded. Everybody but you, I guess.

I would like for you to point out where I've bagged on the NG, or any other American military branch. Please show it to me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Man you cops get offended easily. Do I believe BDU style pants mean evil NO The problem is the military and cops have two different missions. Military Blow shit up Cops enforce the law. Just ask the folks at Waco, ruby ridge and many other examples. Vanilla your poke at the NG was tasteless. The NG does great work all over the world and to demean them is shit!!!!

Gotta be out for summer. If you get your panties in a wad without searching for the other umpteenth threads about this issue, then you should be disqualified from posting and voted off the island.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Man you cops get offended easily.
I don't know if anyone here is a cop, but I'm almost certain that nobody is offended by anything you said. However, seeing you rant about this is like watching a monkey trying to fuck a football.

You are trying to argue that the police are becoming more militarized because they are wearing hats that have traditionally been worn by police officers in this country and you are offended because some cops out there are wearing hats that cops have been wearing since before you were born.

How about you read this before you make yourself look any worse than you already do.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#39]
This is a stupid thread

IP check on aisle 717312 please!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm a cop.  We are forced to wear the campaign cover.  Do you think I like wearing it?  Hell no.  I am forced to wear it.  The only purpose it serves is to keep the sun and rain off of my face.  But, I work at night and live in Georgia (not enough rain to make a difference).  You need to grow the fuck up and worry about other shit.  You say you're a former DI, act like it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Well said!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#44]
bunch of posers, the lot 'em  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Lemme try this.

Paramilitary designates forces whose function and organization are similar to those of a professional military force, but which are not regarded as having the same status.[1] The term uses the Greek/Latin prefix para- ("beside"), also seen in words such as paramedic.

The term paramilitary is subjective, depending on what is considered similar to a military force, and what status a force is considered to have.

Police agency, like military forces, have structured commands.  They have a chain of command, ranks from Police Officer/Deputy Sheriff up to the Police Commissioner/Sheriff.  As an officer, like military personnal, they must follow orders from a higher rank.  They plan operations that need detailed organization. They are suppose to have a neat, professional appearance, like the military.  I could go on and on, but............why?

Waitaminute, I'm offended that the military have MP's .  What was around first Police or Military Police?

I think your crying over spilled milk.  The use of the word paramilitary or any type of uniform by Police/Sheriffs, was not meant to demean the military, I assure you.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Man you cops get offended easily. Do I believe BDU style pants mean evil NO The problem is the military and cops have two different missions. Military Blow shit up Cops enforce the law. Just ask the folks at waco, ruby ridge and many other examples. Vanilla your poke at the NG was tastless. The NG does great work all over the world and to demean them is shit!!!!

Offended??

Look who's calling the kettle black
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Anybody else offended over a hat or pair of pants, while we're here?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Anybody else offended over a hat or pair of pants, while we're here?

I am.  I'm offended that I am forced to wear this campaign hat that should only be used in the military.  And God forbid they let us wear comfortable and more practical BDU pants...Nope we have to wear nappy hot ass polyester pants!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#49]
[soloshooter] "Oh no, this has gone horribly wrong... Mom's gonna be pissed when she checks her email tomorrow and finds that she is banned from AR15.com." [soloshooter]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Once again you have missed the point. When these hats were worn by the military of WWi and WWII it was a mark of distinction. Of course they earned it. So much in fact that it was singled out and only given to those of distinction. I'm sure the academy instructors worked hard but it is not the military. Period.

The bottom line is that the military has NEVER had the corner on the campaign-hat. Just because it's become a SYMBOL of Drill Instructors/Sergeants doesn't mean you've "earned" it more than anyone else. A hat does not make a person an instructor, training and dedication, among other things do. It's what's under the hat that matters. Just like the beret. The Israelis and Brits allow everyone to have a beret, they just distinguish with color. Do they have morale problems? No, in fact the beret makes the regular soldier feel better.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top