Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/5/2008 1:58:16 PM EDT
And I cant get a fucking thing to come in on it.
I cant afford the price of cable, so I use an antenna, and for the most part it works just fine for me.  I get all the networks with acceptable quality if I adjust the antenna.  I grew up doing that and its fine with me.
But I guess I have to give up all that quality that is acceptable to me, because the only station I get in at all is PBS, and it keeps dropping to blocky video and choppy audio.  Not that I care anyways because I dont watch PBS.  I just cant wait for Feb 2009 when my TV will become useless.

thanks FCC, for taking away my TV.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks FCC for opening up the airwaves for the modern world.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thanks FCC for opening up the airwaves for the modern world.

Taking away a service that I basically get for free to sell the airwaves to companies that will probably charge me to use them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
You're doin' it wrong.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Nobody is forcing you to do anything, you have a choice.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
And I cant get a fucking thing to come in on it.
I cant afford the price of cable, so I use an antenna, and for the most part it works just fine for me.  I get all the networks with acceptable quality if I adjust the antenna.  I grew up doing that and its fine with me.
But I guess I have to give up all that quality that is acceptable to me, because the only station I get in at all is PBS, and it keeps dropping to blocky video and choppy audio.  Not that I care anyways because I dont watch PBS.  I just cant wait for Feb 2009 when my TV will become useless.

thanks FCC, for taking away my TV.

I promise you that you DON'T HAVE to use it. Just don't use it.

But don't expect the rest of us to feel sorry for you just because you like a sorry picture.

Technology marches on! Get with the program!

Bill
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I went from 5 crappy OTA channels to 15 digital channels because of the change. I now have better picture quality than cable or satellite.

Maybe the problem is your antenna.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
You probably need a new/better antenna, or adjust your old one.  Find out what band your channels are supposed to be coming in on, and make sure your antenna is compatible with the band.  For example, if all your OTA analog stations are coming in on VHF and the digital stations are coming in UHF, then a VHF only antenna won't do much good.  You will need both a UHF and VHF capable antenna.  It must have suitable gain and pointed in the right direction.

GO HERE for more info.

I currently have issues with reception on my antenna, nothing as bad as yours, but I am looking at replacing it by 2/2009.

ETA:  If you don't know what kind of antenna you have, look at the elements.  LONG elements, like telescoping rabbit ears, or large 747 shaped arrays are for VHF.  Shorter elements like bowties, and spikes are generally UHF.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Would it not only pick up digital signals, that are not being broadcast just yet?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think they work until the stations switch over to digital broadcasting.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#11]
If you get one, wrap it in foil and bury it.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Every show you watch on TV can now be viewed on the internet. There are websites that rehost shows, and most networks now let you watch their entire line up the day after they show new on the network. If you can't see it on TV, track it down online.

I just want 2009 to roll around so those dumbass commercials will stop.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes those units you buy need to have plenty of space. One of my friends puts his VRC/DVD/HDtunerthingie inside of this cabinet that holds his tv even though it disrupts its ability to get a clear signal. You can walk in front of it and it'll disrupt the signal. When you do get a clear signal its much better then analog.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Nobody is forcing you to do anything, you have a choice.

+1 Remember  albums, cassete tapes,VHS?

If you want to play, you have to pay.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Would it not only pick up digital signals, that are not being broadcast just yet?

The antennas are the same.  As long as your antenna covers the appropriate band, there is no difference between the antennas.  Special "digital" antennas aren't required, as the old analog ones work fine.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#16]
How much are these boxes?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I went from 5 crappy OTA channels to 15 digital channels because of the change. I now have better picture quality than cable or satellite.

Maybe the problem is your antenna.

Yep.  Check the antenna.  My friend experienced a similar increase in channels at his place.  Also, once the analog signals are cut off early next year then additional power will be applied to the digital broadcast, so everyone should see even more channels.  Check antennaweb and you'll see what I mean.  Lots of good info there.  Good luck...
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Almost all stations have already switched over and are broadcasting BOTH analog and digital until 2/2009.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#19]
There's only so much of the radio spectrum that can be used for communication.  Analog TV signals use up a ridiculously HUGE portion of that spectrum.. Far more than makes a drop of sense considering how rare antenna users are these days.  The space taken up by a single channel is more than they use for any service these days.

Sorry about your luck, but I'm quite sure there's a few guys here and there still grousing about the demise of UHF and Betamax as well.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

not really true.  my parents use an outdoor antenna and they get several really good looking stations.  i know that around here (central city area) there are digital broadcasts, because i pick them up on the equipment at work.
i guess ill dump some money into a new antenna and see what happens.

FYI, I believe the antenna I am using now is a dual UHF/VHF antenna.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

They should all be up on digital by now.  And all but one of our local stations have a secondary channel up.  I now have a 24/7 weather channel.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
How much are these boxes?

$49 at Walmart and you can get a $40 off card.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
There's only so much of the radio spectrum that can be used for communication.  Analog TV signals use up a ridiculously HUGE portion of that spectrum.. Far more than makes a drop of sense considering how rare antenna users are these days.  The space taken up by a single channel is more than they use for any service these days.

Sorry about your luck, but I'm quite sure there's a few guys here and there still grousing about the demise of UHF and Betamax as well.  

6 MHz for an analog channel.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The digital signals are UHF only, no VHF component, so focus on adjusting your loop.  I got an amplified Terk indoor UHF antenna and I've had good results.  Probably far from the best thing out there, but it works for me.

ooops... I was wrong...

Are all digital stations on UHF channels, and do I need a UHF-only antenna to receive them?  What are the VHF and UHF bands anyway, and what do VHF and UHF stand for?
The Very High Frequency (VHF) band is the segment of the television broadcast band covering channels 2 through 13. The Ultra High Frequency (UHF) band is the segment of the television broadcast band covering channels 14 through 83.  Currently, the vast majority of TV stations broadcasting in digital are using UHF (14 and up) channels to do so.  This is not due to any technical requirement of digital broadcasting, however. It is mostly because the UHF channels were more likely to be available in most markets.  Eventually, after the digital transition is complete and TV stations no longer need to broadcast in analog, they may switch and use their current analog VHF channels for digital instead.  Antennas that receive UHF stations only and ones that receive both VHF and UHF are available.  If you are fairly certain you won't want to get any lower channels in the VHF 2-13 range, you could purchase one that is UHF only.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#25]
The only thing that really annoys me is that my TiVo won't work after the switch.

Obsolete hardware is annoying but a fact of life.  It just grates on me that this is brought on by government and not private industry.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The digital signals are UHF only, no VHF component, so focus on adjusting your loop.  I got an amplified Terk indoor UHF antenna and I've had good results.  Probably far from the best thing out there, but it works for me.

According to my understanding most UHF channels will change over to VHF next Feb.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The only thing that really annoys me is that my TiVo won't work after the switch.

Obsolete hardware is annoying but a fact of life.  It just grates on me that this is brought on by government and not private industry.

Gov has final say on RF spectrum in USA.. private companies can't just get rid of TV transmission on a whim to free up the frequencies for something.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#28]
What is going to happen on feb in 2009? I have been watching the elections and missed something. thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Which box is the best for the $?  Do I have to have a HDTV antenna, or can I keep using my UHF/VHF one?

ETA:  That's the same antenna I use.  Hope I can keep using it.  I'm cheap, I don't want to buy another one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ooops... I was wrong...

Are all digital stations on UHF channels, and do I need a UHF-only antenna to receive them?  What are the VHF and UHF bands anyway, and what do VHF and UHF stand for?
The Very High Frequency (VHF) band is the segment of the television broadcast band covering channels 2 through 13. The Ultra High Frequency (UHF) band is the segment of the television broadcast band covering channels 14 through 83.  Currently, the vast majority of TV stations broadcasting in digital are using UHF (14 and up) channels to do so.  This is not due to any technical requirement of digital broadcasting, however. It is mostly because the UHF channels were more likely to be available in most markets.  Eventually, after the digital transition is complete and TV stations no longer need to broadcast in analog, they may switch and use their current analog VHF channels for digital instead.  Antennas that receive UHF stations only and ones that receive both VHF and UHF are available.  If you are fairly certain you won't want to get any lower channels in the VHF 2-13 range, you could purchase one that is UHF only.  

For future compatibity, smart money buys a VHF/UHF antenna.  There has been talk of using UHF for other purposes which may or may not become useful to grab down the road.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gov has final say on RF spectrum in USA.. private companies can't just get rid of TV transmission on a whim to free up the frequencies for something.

Trust me, I know how it works.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
So you're complaining you're not getting the crappy TV signals you didn't pay for in the first place?

Isn't that why he has to set through commercials 25% of his viewing time?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
According to my understanding most UHF channels will change over to VHF next Feb.

Is this switch from UHF back to VHF frequencies driving the increase in signal strength slated for post-transition or is it due to (as I've heard) full power being applied to digital broadcasts for the first time.  I'm curious since what I hear isn't always right.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
What is going to happen on feb in 2009? I have been watching the elections and missed something. thanks

If you watch TV using an over the air (OTA) antenna, then your reception has historically been analog.  These analog signals will be mandated obsolete in 2/2009 and all OTA television signals will be broadcasted in digital instead.  Cable and Dish systems are not affected.

If you are on analog OTA, you will need a digital converter box.  You may also need to get a UHF/VHF antenna if you don't already have one.  If you are in an area that has no UHF stations, then UHF is probably unnecessary.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this switch from UHF back to VHF frequencies driving the increase in signal strength slated for post-transition or is it due to (as I've heard) full power being applied to digital broadcasts for the first time.  I'm curious since what I hear isn't always right.

I hope it is the latter.  I live in a fringe area, and I can use all the power they can throw at me!  Currently, I experience breakup in my digital signal, especially on our NBC affiliate, which carries the 24hour weather channel.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
So you're complaining you're not getting the crappy TV signals you didn't pay for in the first place?

Good luck with that.

Another Kudo to the FCC, just wondering what took so long.

Uh, I don't pay to listen to the Radio either. Why do you think it's such a good idea to force people to buy a box, so they can watch the local channels? Just another way to suck more money out of us.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Which box is the best for the $?  Do I have to have a HDTV antenna, or can I keep using my UHF/VHF one?

ETA:  That's the same antenna I use.  Hope I can keep using it.  I'm cheap, I don't want to buy another one.

You can

There is no such thing as a HDTV antenna as long as the antenna will work in the uhf/vhf bands it will work for HDTV.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I cant afford the price of cable

How much is basic cable?  $15 a month?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I just want 2009 to roll around so those dumbass commercials will stop.

I hate them, the local news station runs a 10min one every day, always on when I make food and I got to stop and change it
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$53 and some change, plus tax.  thats the cheapest comcast offers anymore.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#42]
go to the following link   LINKY   and see what antenna you need according to what info you enter.  Site has a lot of good info.

BA-80
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
this is the antenna I am using
www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT301-Amplified-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B00008V6JO
ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31HB51RBYGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

See I told you it was your antenna.
Get an old style outside one.They don't really cost that much. Mounted as high as you can. Add a decent booster. Then you will love the digital switch like me.

BTW, Terk is the Monster cable of antenna's. Don't believe the hype and don't pay the premium.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
this is the antenna I am using
www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT301-Amplified-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B00008V6JO
ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31HB51RBYGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

See I told you it was your antenna.
Get an old style outside one.They don't really cost that much. Mounted as high as you can. Add a decent booster. Then you will love the digital switch like me.

BTW, Terk is the Monster cable of antenna's. Don't believe the hype and don't pay the premium.

I live in an apartment building.  Anything I use has to be internal.  Otherwise I would have built a monster of an antenna on the roof.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Good luck with that.

Another Kudo to the FCC, just wondering what took so long.

Another messed up  observation .

Dude we did not always have to pay for TV , uh how old are you 16 ?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We offer "simple basic" which is ~15 channels of news, weather channel, your local broadcast and a few others for $13-$23 depending on the area.

I dont work for comcast though
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a $15ish/mo plan, it will be your local broadcast channels, plus CSpan and public access. I forget what they call it, but demand the cheapest plan they have and you'll get it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We offer "simple basic" which is ~15 channels of news, weather channel, your local broadcast and a few others for $13-$23 depending on the area.

I dont work for comcast though

yeah they did away with it about a year ago around here.  people who were already on it get to keep it, although with the standard rate increases a few times a year, but anyone else has to get the $53.49 Standard Cable package.  Their digital packages are actually cheaper by a few bucks, but still out of my budget.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a $15ish/mo plan, it will be your local broadcast channels, plus CSpan and public access. I forget what they call it, but demand the cheapest plan they have and you'll get it.

Kharn

they dont do it anymore.  i have tried.  its not on the website and i have called and gone in person to the office.  the "Standard Cable" is $53.49
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top