Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/5/2008 12:35:21 PM EDT
I got a pair of Bates desert boots on closeout for dirt cheap a while ago.  They have the USMC eagle globe and anchor stamped/branded/whatever into the leather on the side of the heel.  Seeing as I am not in the Marine Corp, I was wondering what is the best way to get rid of it without marring the boots up too badly.  

Would a fine grained sandpaper work well on leather?  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Once a Marine....

Sorry bud, looks like you're fucked.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Just wear them , if someone asks you if you were or are a jarhead just say no.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
ill take them and fix it for ya
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
You could plant those boots in the closet then spend 13 fun-filled weeks at either MCRD San Diego / Camp Pendleton or MCRD Parris Island.  Afterwards, you can wear 'em out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
steam?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm having the same trouble with my Nike shoes.  Since I'm not an employee of Nike I should remove everything that says "NIKE" on them or someone will call me a poser
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
sharpie?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL That's the only reason I didn't buy those.

Maybe obliterate it by burning with a soldering iron?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't wear the EAG if I didn't earn it either (I'm not a Marine)
ETA:  To be honest I'm having a hard time wearing my Bates boots I got because they are Army issue
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Whats wrong with what he said? There are all kinds of military clothing I would like to buy from camo's to t-shirts with the different branches logos on them. I personally wont because I didn't serve and feel like I don't deserve to wear them.

Quoted:
I'm having the same trouble with my Nike shoes.  Since I'm not an employee of Nike I should remove everything that says "NIKE" on them or someone will call me a poser
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ETA:  To be honest I'm having a hard time wearing my Bates boots I got because they are Army issue

PM me when you put an ACOG, EOTech, and various other military-issued items (magazines, especially, thanks!) on the EE.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Just wear them.  If some gripes just explain they are surplus.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I dont work or race for ford maybe I should debadge my vehicle too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of Sports fans wear jerseys of their favorite team so if you like the damn boots, wear them. If anyone asks, say that you like the damn boots and that you are a fan / supporter of the USMC.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I wear a pair of belleville boots that are MC issue with my ACU's(yes I'm a former Marine) They are the gore-tex version and a hell of alot more comfortable than the 790's I got in Afghanistan.

I simply took some hot water and a wire brush to them and it worked like a charm. So far there hasn't been anyone that said shit about it. They are a darker color but exactly the same as Danner Desert Acadias, which are authorized.

If you're just worried about the EGA, just do the brush thing and it'll come out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Just wear 'em a lot.  I've got two or three issued pairs, and I have to look close to tell which have the EGA and which were plain to start with.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Just wear 'em, dude. No big deal. It's not like you're wearing Blues or an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor emblem, or trying to pass yourself off as a Marine. Don't sweat it.

ETA: And YES, I was A Marine for 6 years.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#19]
For what it's worth, the units I served in never authorized the "Boonie" style hats, so I gave them to my mom and she wears them when doing yard work.

It's just articles of clothing.  

There's a distinction between dressing in a full uniform with patches, insignia, and name tape/tags and pretending to be in the military when you're not and just wearing random bits of clothing.

Everyone in America (likely) knows that ARMY/NAVY Surplus stores exist and that people can buy boots, pants, blouses, hats, and cold weather gear cheap from them.

Whenever I see someone wearing a USMC or ARMY or AIR FORCE (etc) shirt or hat I assume they got it from a friend/relative that is serving.   Wearing USMC marked boots with a USMC PT shirt, USMC hat, and a giant Eagle, Globe, Anchor tattoo on your arm would be a lot more suspect than just wearing boots.

In summation, my thesis, if you will:  They're just boots.  If someone assumes anything from shoes alone then they're probably fucking retarded and shouldn't be talked to longer than 5 seconds anyways.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#20]
As a Marine it doesnt bother me at all if you wear the boots.  If you were wearing a dress blues coat with punkrock patches all over them it would be different story.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just wear 'em, dude. No big deal. It's not like you're wearing Blues or an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor emblem, or trying to pass yourself off as a Marine. Don't sweat it.

Correct yourself MARINE!!!  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Dont blouse your boots and no one will see the EGL.  

Unbloused boots are the real sign of an operator ya know.  Well and velcro with no patches, and suppressors

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Just wear 'm (you have my permission). Now... drop and give us twenty for wasting our time!!

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I wear a gray Marine tshirt and a gray Army tshirt from time to time. I consider it a sign of showing support and respect for the Military.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

They are BOOTS, not dogtags...............do you have any GI looking stuff? Please send it to me for disposal, someone might mistake you for one after all.......

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I got some surplus Belleville 550's that had it on them and over time it just wore off.  I think it really isn't a big deal unless you are parading around trying to pretend you are a Marine. I'm not a Marine and my Marine buddies don't have a problem with it.  No harm no foul.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know what I mean....I'm not as lean, not as mean, but STILL a Marine!

ETA: I could probably use a little time in PCP right now, ya know?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Where is Username when you need him?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know what I mean....I'm not as lean, not as mean, but STILL a Marine!

ETA: I could probably use a little time in PCP right now, ya know?

I'm a former too so I hear you 100%
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#31]
do you lose sleep over it?  I got a pair and I am not a marine. I have never had anyone even notice the logo on it let alone ask me......dont worry about it
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Take 'em out hiking a few times, you will barely be able to see them after the first time out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#33]
No big deal.

I wore a Ranger t-shirt out, i liked it so much. it was a gift from my BIL(currently 101st). was asked a couple times if i was ever a Ranger and simply replied no my BIL is and i'm just showing my support for him and his pals.

Only problem I see is if someone wears .mil clothing and trys to impersonate/pose. Then I call foul.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
LOL That's the only reason I didn't buy those.

Maybe obliterate it by burning with a soldering iron?

Then you get clobbered by those thinking you were dissing their Corps.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Of course you could wear them on the wrong feet for a while and your ankle bones rubbing will wear the ega off.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't like people who wear EGAs/MARPAT who don't rate it but don't see a problem with this.

I don't see many Marines or others authorized to wear such things wearing these boots while in civvies so I'm not going to mistake you for a Marine.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#37]
never mind
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#38]
When I was younger I used to wear a shirt with the EGA on it.

I respect the Marines, support them, and aspire to be one. I stopped wearing it a while back, even though I still plan to join.

Just don't claim to be a Marine, when asked.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I have a german army raincoat. Should I have asked first? Luckily I haven't stumbled across any german paratroopers hiding in the woods of upstate NY waiting to kick my ass for my poser raincoat.

(coolest camo ever)

Flectarn camo?

Very cool.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
As a Marine it doesnt bother me at all if you wear the boots.  If you were wearing a dress blues coat with punkrock patches all over them it would be different story.

+1

Wear em, after a couple months hard use the EGAs will disappear.

IMHO all the services should use the same uniform and the same style boots, stupid to fragment the gear issue to our servicemen.  Actions, not uniform should distinct which services is which.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I was wearing a t-shirt with a CIB on it.  Some civilian asked if I was a Marine.  I looked at him and said, "DUHH!"

He smiled and replied, "I'll take that as a "Yes."

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Ha, just wear them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#43]
For whatever reason, I have an aversion to wearing american military clothing, but I have no issue whatsoever with foreign stuff if it's cheap and serves it's purpose well.

It's a respect thing, perhaps colored by some serious nationalism.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Wear 'em, no biggie.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a Russian furry hat
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Just put the boots on your little feet, and mountain climb for me for 20 minutes!!

Then it's all cool.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Just wear them , if someone asks you if you were or are a jarhead just say no.

exactly, this is the only answer, your not pretending if you admit to not being a Marine.

hell, I'd wear those boots to work if they allowed it in the office, EGA or not.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I dont work or race for ford maybe I should debadge my vehicle too.

I always wanted to do that to my Mustang.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Who else though this was going to be a tattoo from the title
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Like all the rest of the former and current Marines have said, just wear the damn things; they're just boots.

The EGA that is earned is the one that is worn on your collar, your cover (hat for you civilians, Army and Air Force types) and over your heart (on your utility uniform blouse).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top