Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#1]
This will turn into a shitstorm.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF, if they have a "bait car" and it's out they should ALWAYS have eyes on it. How is it this guy jacked the car and was driving away without an officer seeing it?? AND why dont they have a remote switch??

MAN their hosed!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Another proud moment in Law Enforcement. Sounds like something straight out of a Reno 911 episode.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]
While it sucks for the lady and her family, I don't see how the city or the PD is really at fault over this.  My understanding is that the officers weren't in a chase, and the subject just happened to be speeding and hit someone.  That could have happened in any car he stole, bait car or not.

The fact that they could have turned it off earlier but didn't doesn't bother me either.  If they turn it off without knowing that he's in a safe place, and somebody smacks into him and kills themself, it's the same type of situation.

That said, the city will throw $20,000 of my tax dollars at her family and it will go away.  The bait car program will be disbanded, and Mr. Ramirez's hermano will jack my car instead.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I love watching baitcar cams. Hilarious stuff.......
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
While it sucks for the lady and her family, I don't see how the city or the PD is really at fault over this.  My understanding is that the officers weren't in a chase, and the subject just happened to be speeding and hit someone.  That could have happened in any car he stole, bait car or not.

The fact that they could have turned it off earlier but didn't doesn't bother me either.  If they turn it off without knowing that he's in a safe place, and somebody smacks into him and kills themself, it's the same type of situation.

That said, the city will throw $20,000 of my tax dollars at her family and it will go away.  The bait car program will be disbanded, and Mr. Ramirez's hermano will jack my car instead.  

While I see what your saying I also see that the cops GAVE this guy an opportunity to steal a car, they ALLOWED him to steal it which in turn was used to cause an accident that killed someone.

IF the car was not their with the keys in it would this accident have happened??? I highly doubt it would halve, so yes it was the departments fault it happened.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sounds like something straight out of a Reno 911 episode.

OMG... so true
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
WTF, if they have a "bait car" and it's out they should ALWAYS have eyes on it. How is it this guy jacked the car and was driving away without an officer seeing it?? AND why dont they have a remote switch??

MAN their hosed!!

You know, some car thieves are marginally smarter than a mushroom and might actually notice someone sitting in the parking lot watching the bait car.....

When we've used a bait car we've had a marked unit sitting in a parking lot ~1/2 mile away all night.

Brian
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

agree very funny!!! I always though this was a great tactic, didnt realize they didnt have remotes with the officers to shut the car down......
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

MAN their hosed!!

Nothing is going to happen to them since they are running the program in a similar manner to many other agencies.

Observation isnt done on most bait vehicles since they are tracked via other means and the presence of people watching the vehicle will tend to scare off the suspects.

The kill switches are located, typically with dispatchers, since they are centralized and requires fewer units to be installed.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Eddie Ramirez, 28, faces charges of felony theft and murder in her death, police said.

Shouldn't the police be held liable as well because they failed to secure their bait vehicle?  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I loved that Canadian one where the guy went crazy, screaming 'BAIT CAR!!!!!' every 5sec and driving into oncoming traffic.  Crazy tweakers.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm stupid... what about remotely cutting the throttle cable?  That would take the speed out of the chase, but still leave an idling engine for power steering and power brakes.

The rigging can't be much more complicated than a few brackets, a servo, and a pair of cable cutters.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like the dipshit had the accident before the car could be disabled.

Not much to fault the cops on this one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The rigging can't be much more complicated than a few brackets, a servo, and a pair of cable cutters.

And replacing the throttle cable hundreds of times.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Another proud moment in Law Enforcement. Sounds like something straight out of a Reno 911 episode.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a woman tell me that it was strictly the driver's fault - that just like guns, cars do not kill people, people do.

I told her that if the cops were putting out a "bait gun" it would not be loaded.

Policy changes are a guarantee after this snafu.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's the guy's arrest record:

Mr. Ramirez has been arrested at least 12 times since March 1999. Here are some of his recent arrests:

March 30, 1999 – For stealing a vehicle, possession of marijuana and evading arrest. Sentenced to 57 days in jail.

May 9, 2000 – For burglary of a vehicle. Sentenced to 120 days in jail.

Sept. 18, 2001 – For felony theft and burglary of a vehicle. Sentenced to 180 days in jail.

Jan. 22, 2003 – For burglary. Sentenced to two years in state prison.

April 9, 2004 – For possession of marijuana and burglary of a vehicle. Sentenced to 330 days in jail.

Nov. 30, 2004 – For burglary of a vehicle and possession of marijuana. Sentenced to 240 days in jail.

Nov. 24, 2006 – For two counts of burglary of a vehicle. Sentenced to 210 days in jail.

Feb. 5, 2007 – For stealing a Dallas police bait car. Sentenced to 407 days in state prison and released May 29.

Monday – On felony theft and murder charges.

Source: Dallas Morning News
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe Super Troopers?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And replacing the throttle cable hundreds of times.

Probably about 1 hour labor and $100 in parts each time, depending on the car.  Sadly, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the lawsuit they're about to lose for someone else's actions.  

I guess there's a reason I'm not a mechanic... it's probably far easier to just wire up a switch to break the circuit from the throttle position sensor, which would have the same effect without having to replace the cable each time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MAN their hosed!!

You know, some car thieves are marginally smarter than a mushroom and might actually notice someone sitting in the parking lot watching the bait car.....

When we've used a bait car we've had a marked unit sitting in a parking lot ~1/2 mile away all night.

Brian

What happened to setting a car up where it can still be viewed but from a distance?? I realize parking the squad car a couple stalls over wouldnt be the best idea :) or a car with a few people in it just sitting around in the same parking lot....

Also truly "smart" car thiefs would'nt be stupid enough to jack a car sitting in a parking lot with the keys in it, thats a spontaniouse theft, smart ones choose the cars they want and plan it out......
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Bait car is a great self selecting way to get criminals off the street.

It shuold be used 10 times more than it is. They should also bring back high speed pursuits.

I don't really see what the police did here that was wrong. Would a normal citizen who left their car unattended also be held to the same standard? What is that standard?

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I see what your saying I also see that the cops GAVE this guy an opportunity to steal a car, they ALLOWED him to steal it which in turn was used to cause an accident that killed someone.

IF the car was not their with the keys in it would this accident have happened??? I highly doubt it would halve, so yes it was the departments fault it happened.

BULLSHIT!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe I'm missing something, for an officer to charge someone with car theft during these bait things does the perp actually need to leave the parking lot?

Or is it considered theft once they get in and start it??

If they do not need to leave the parking lot to me it would make sense to have cameras in the car (like a lot do) and simply shut it down prior to them leaving the parking lot.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Bait car is a great self selecting way to get criminals off the street.

It shuold be used 10 times more than it is. They should also bring back high speed pursuits.

I don't really see what the police did here that was wrong. Would a normal citizen who left their car unattended also be held to the same standard? What is that standard?

Hmm I would say yes if they did it on purpose to see if someone would steal their car....
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Here's the guy's arrest record:

Mr. Ramirez has been arrested at least 12 times since March 1999. Here are some of his recent arrests:

March 30, 1999 – For stealing a vehicle, possession of marijuana and evading arrest. Sentenced to 57 days in jail.

May 9, 2000 – For burglary of a vehicle. Sentenced to 120 days in jail.

Sept. 18, 2001 – For felony theft and burglary of a vehicle. Sentenced to 180 days in jail.

Jan. 22, 2003 – For burglary. Sentenced to two years in state prison.

April 9, 2004 – For possession of marijuana and burglary of a vehicle. Sentenced to 330 days in jail.

Nov. 30, 2004 – For burglary of a vehicle and possession of marijuana. Sentenced to 240 days in jail.

Nov. 24, 2006 – For two counts of burglary of a vehicle. Sentenced to 210 days in jail.

Feb. 5, 2007 – For stealing a Dallas police bait car. Sentenced to 407 days in state prison and released May 29.

Monday – On felony theft and murder charges.

Source: Dallas Morning News

Wait, wait, wait, this was his SECOND time to steal a Dallas Police bait car?  And he only lasted FOUR fucking days out of prison before doing it again?  Did they park this thing outside his house or something?  He sounds like a real winner.  Wow.  What an idiot.

Activating the brakes and not turning off the car while disconnecting the throttle cable is very easy.  Generally when you build a full size remote controlled car, you set it to brake a as a default.  That said, they can't really pull it without a squad car being close by because the guy would just flee on foot.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#28]
While unfourtinate it should be no more the department's fault than it would be yours if your car was stolen.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MAN their hosed!!

Brian

What happened to setting a car up where it can still be viewed but from a distance?? I realize parking the squad car a couple stalls over wouldnt be the best idea :) or a car with a few people in it just sitting around in the same parking lot....

Location may or may not allow for having eyes on from a distance - kind of hard to watch a car from distance at ground level or there may not be any available elevated observation posts.  Plus you have increased personal requirements if you have a stationary observer.

Also truly "smart" car thiefs would'nt be stupid enough to jack a car sitting in a parking lot with the keys in it, thats a spontaniouse theft, smart ones choose the cars they want and plan it out......

Very true - stupid criminals are job security for LE.  We didn't use the bait car until we had ~5-6 break-ins/car thefts out of the same lot.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Man you have some creative use of homophones! I mean, "their" was a no brainer but "halve" just had me cracking up!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Listen to all the "Don't help a good kid go bad" whiners.  Isn't that special.  

Here, we don't need bait cars.

Depending on the cultural environment we use:
A Taco Bell bag and a refergerator box.
A baskeball and with stun gun attachment.
A case of vintage pseudoefedrin and a bear trap.

Works just fine.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

No, it's the car thief's fault that it happened.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
While unfourtinate it should be no more the department's fault than it would be yours if your car was stolen.

this
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gave him an opertunity? Are you high? they arent marked. its not like there is a sign that says "Bait car please steal me". this dirt bag was out to steal a car and he did, it just turns out it was a police bait car just like the last one he stole. Its sad they will suspend that program.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this

As soon as I place my car somewhere with no other intent than to have it stolen I will agree with this.

If you are going to place a car somewhere to have it swiped, you should probably have an eye on it (hide in a building/video camera) and a quick way to disable it.  Calling in dispatch does not equal quick.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it's the car thief's fault that it happened.

True, maybe I'm pushing the same lines the cops or prosecuters push. Let me give you a couple of examples...

At the bar the bartender serves the drinks, the guy gets drunk then goes out and kills someone. Guess what, YEP, prosecuters and cops want to hold the bar liable for serving the guy drinks when he was already intoxicated....

So is it the guys fault for driving drunk or the bars fault for giving him the drinks??
Maybe both?

Guy has 20 guns but does nothing to secure then, even left his house unlocked. Couple people break into his house and steal his guns then kill severall people in his area while they are running away.

Prosecutors and cops will not only attempt to convict the theives but also charge the person who had the guns stolen from him because he didnt take propper precaustions to secure his weapons...

So who's fault is the guys who actually killed the people or the guy who was robbed??
Maybe both?

I see this as the same, the criminal is at fault yes and will be dealt with HOWEVER shouldnt the department take some accountability for this and share in the situation??

Not cop bashing, just see it as a double standard at times.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this

As soon as I place my car somewhere with no other intent than to have it stolen I will agree with this.

If you are going to place a car somewhere to have it swiped, you should probably have an eye on it (hide in a building/video camera) and a quick way to disable it.  Calling in dispatch does not equal quick.

Exactly how much do you know about dispatch, all-knowing one?

Providing correct planning and coordination, the order and action could be completed momentarily. I know that doesn't fit into your theory that anything to do with law enforcement is incompetent, though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I had a woman tell me that it was strictly the driver's fault - that just like guns, cars do not kill people, people do.

That woman is right.  Nobody made him steal it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this

Ever heard of Lo-Jack? GPS works wonders.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I loved that Canadian one where the guy went crazy, screaming 'BAIT CAR!!!!!' every 5sec and driving into oncoming traffic.  Crazy tweakers.

Kharn

Crazy bait car thief.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this

This is getting funny, ALL of your are correct in the fact the yes you can monitor the cars location through many different channels HOWEVER the police departments structure is that THEY MUST HAVE EYES on the car prior to shutting it down. SO GPS will not allow for them to VIEW the car therfor not a good option to go off of during this type of bust. IF you cant have eyes on it then you should not be attempting the bust as it's directed that you must have eyes on it to shut it down!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#42]
100% the scumbags fault. With the cops not even chasing him yet, it was just sheer recklessness on his part. I feel bad for the woman who was killed, and her family, but this one is not the cops fault.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this

This is getting funny, ALL of your are correct in the fact the yes you can monitor the cars location through many different channels HOWEVER the police departments structure is that THEY MUST HAVE EYES on the car prior to shutting it down. SO GPS will not allow for them to VIEW the car therfor not a good option to go off of during this type of bust. IF you cant have eyes on it then you should not be attempting the bust as it's directed that you must have eyes on it to shut it down!!!

Yeah but all of those allow the cops to quickly find those cars and when they do to disable them. I highly doubt they just leave the car and go about their day doing traffic stops, more than likely they are sitting around waiting for the car to be stolen.

Some leo chime in on how this actually works...

here ya go. www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm--eSDWyZo&NR=1
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Guy has 20 guns but does nothing to secure then, even left his house unlocked. Couple people break into his house and steal his guns then kill severall people in his area while they are running away.

Prosecutors and cops will not only attempt to convict the theives but also charge the person who had the guns stolen from him because he didnt take propper precaustions to secure his weapons...

So who's fault is the guys who actually killed the people or the guy who was robbed??
Maybe both?

By that logic, if someone siphons your gas to burn down an illegal night club with 300 people in it, and you don't have a locking gas cap, you're just as liable.  There's only ONE appropriate word that kind of "logic"...

BULLSHIT!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
That said, they can't really pull it without a squad car being close by because the guy would just flee on foot.  

Fuggit. Install some shatter resistant glass and lock the shitbird in.

Why the baitcar was not monitored/surveilled more closely in this situation and why police on scene should have to contact dispatch to shut it down is a bit beyond me.

That having been said, I fully support baitcar concept.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe both?

By that logic, if someone siphons your gas to burn down an illegal night club with 300 people in it, and you don't have a locking gas cap, you're just as liable.  There's only ONE appropriate word that kind of "logic"...

BULLSHIT!

Uhhm these are real life examples and cops and prosecutors charge 2nd parties for this kind of stuff often. That’s why I was pointing it out, they want to hold 2nd parties accountable for contributing to the situation however when it comes to their own actions they don’t want to be held accountable....I dont agree with holding 2nd parties accountable however if the law is set up that way then it should go for instances like this.....
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Charge the guy who stole the car with murder.

Move on.

End of story.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#48]
These are my favorite threads.  The number of people that offer matter of fact answers to these situations and have absolutely no idea what they are talking about is incredibly high.  A few minutes of self-education on the internet (or real life) could save several here the oportunity to look foolish, but that would lessen the entertainment value.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#49]
So I see cars with words across the top of the front and rear windows, usually in some fake looking calligraphy script.
I wonder if my car would be less likely to be stolen if I put BAIT CAR across the tops of my front and rear windows like I see on wangster cars.....
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

He was yelling "ONCOMING! ONCOMING! ONCOMING! ONCOMING! ONCOMING! "
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top