Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 9:36:24 AM EDT
I am thinking of building a light(er) weight ar.  Is their much weight to save starting/cost with a 20" a1 (pencil barrel) over a 16" (Dissipator).  Or is the big difference just the retro hand guard.  

Oh if I go with the a1, any advice/warnings on the carrier/bolt group.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about weight, but it feels much more handy.

I'd just go with a 14.5 with a pinned on Flash hider. You save another 1.5 inches.

It's a great weapon at that size. Go with a A1 upper and switch the front and rear sight to a2 standards.

Get some 20 round NHMTG mags as well.

If you've never fired a rifle of this size you'll be pleasently surprised.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#2]
It has just been to long since I fired my brothers a1 to remember - and then he had a clip on scope on it (should have just left it in the natural state - iron).  I have fired his tactical entry car, and it just does not feel right (but at least he had better choice in optics on that one).  I have a varmint and at roughly 12lbs it is no fun to lug around all day - but great for paper punching (I need to upgrade the optics on that one some day... - oh well).  

Of course this was all before that tragic boating accident.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top