User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 7:53:11 AM EDT
Very interesting comments.

HH
--------------------------------

Olmert: We're close to stopping Iran's nuclear program  

By Barak Ravid, Haaretz Correspondent, Haaretz Staff, and News Agencies  

haaretz.com/hasen/spages/990458.html

After his meeting with U.S. President George W. Bush in Washington on Wednesday, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said that the end of Iran's controversial nuclear program was approaching.

"With every day that passes, we are getting closer to stopping Iran's nuclear program," he said, adding that substantial steps were being taken to handle the Iranian threat in "a more effective manner."

Olmert added that, as a result of the hour-long meeting with Bush, there were fewer question marks between the two allies concerning the means, the time constraints, and the level of American determination in dealing with the Iranian nuclear program.

"Naturally the Iranian issue was central to our talks, and our shared point of departure is the need to deal with Iran before it manages to acquire non-conventional capabilities," Olmert told reporters.

He said the two leaders also discussed the talks with the Palestinians and Lebanon, and the U.S. president asked to be briefed on developments with Syria. "Every day that goes by we are making significant steps in dealing with this problem [Iran]. We, with the world under American leadership, are dealing with it in an effort to reach the goal which is to prevent Iran from acquiring [nuclear] arms," Olmert said.

"I do not think it is appropriate for Iran to know what we are doing," Olmert said, and described the cooperation with the United States on countering Iran's nuclear program.

Asked about Barack Obama's speech to the AIPAC conference vowing that Jerusalem will forever be Israel's undivided capital, Olmert said he did not hear the speech himself, but that "from what I heard they had impressive performances and I am very impressed by these declarations. I will speak with all of them by phone."

Bush to PM: 'Existential' Iran threat must be taken seriously
Bush told Olmert on Wednesday that Iran was an "existential threat to peace" and said the world must take that threat seriously.

"It is very important for the world to take the Iranian threat seriously, which the United States does," Bush said as he began White House talks with Olmert, visiting amid a corruption scandal at home that could drive him from office.

The Washington talks came a day after Olmert issued his toughest warning yet to Tehran, saying Iran's nuclear program must be stopped by "all possible means."

Bush assured Olmert, facing calls for his resignation over a corruption scandal that could disrupt the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, of the U.S. commitment to Israel.

Olmert, at Bush's side in the Oval Office, agreed that Iran poses "the main threat to all of us."

The prime minister also told the U.S. president that Israel appreciates the comments he made upon his visit to Israel last month, when he participated in celebrations of the country's 60th anniversary. Olmert told his host that Israel esteems his commitment to its security, and friendship toward it.

Bush also said the two would discuss Israeli-Palestinian peace efforts launched last November at an international conference in Annapolis, Maryland.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
obama hussein will turn his back on em, no doubt.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

No doubt in my mind, either.

Reading between the lines, you get the sense that, knowing sanctions haven't worked, they're up to something bigger for Iran.  

Pretty bold statement coming from Olmert, especially after spending time with GW.

HH
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I think he knows he needs to strike before our elections.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Roger that...

Probably putting the finishing touches on some sort of precision-guided bunker-buster penetrator tactical mini-nuke and verifying all the locations involved the Iranian nuclear weapons program.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Smart man.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I wonder if they also talked about the 3 sites that Syria is refusing to let the IAEA inspect.

If talks go south, and they probably will since Syria's demanding the GH no matter what, then those sites become huge targets for the IAF.

HH
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Houston...for someone who is so "of God" and Christianity you sure have a presupposition for towing the Israel line.  Christian Zionist I presume?  You know that God said he would have a land for his people when he came back and NOT before right?  That's why hardcore Jews oppose the Zionist ideal because it goes against the book.

Anyways.  Obama has said that he would be willing to sit down and talk with our supposed "enemies" so what is wrong with that.  What is wrong with finding out how and why people believe with they do or act in a certain way?  

I have never supported Obama so don't even go that route or the "DU troll" route either.
But I would rather listen to logic than McCain sing "Bomb Bomb Bomb. Bomb Bomb Iran."  That's intelligence personified and someone I would love to send my kids off to fight for...
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Houston...for someone who is so "of God" and Christianity you sure have a presupposition for towing the Israel line.  Christian Zionist I presume?  You know that God said he would have a land for his people when he came back and NOT before right?  That's why hardcore Jews oppose the Zionist ideal because it goes against the book.

Anyways.  Obama has said that he would be willing to sit down and talk with our supposed "enemies" so what is wrong with that.  What is wrong with finding out how and why people believe with they do or act in a certain way?  

I have never supported Obama so don't even go that route or the "DU troll" route either.
But I would rather listen to logic than McCain sing "Bomb Bomb Bomb. Bomb Bomb Iran."  That's intelligence personified and someone I would love to send my kids off to fight for...

Thank you.

I'm not sure how this article can be construed as 'towing the Israel line' but think that if you'd like to.

Reporting the results of the Olmert/GW meeting sure does qualify for that now, doesn't it?  If you choose to look past reality then that's really your problem now, isn't it?

HH

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Since when does Israel care about the POTUS?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If the shoe fits, then wear it...thanks for "outing" yourself...
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have no love for Israel, but I have even less love for the muslim/arab culture. I know it's politcally stupid, but I'd prefer to support a few million ruthless Jews than 1 billion pushy muslims..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top