Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:42:52 AM EDT
Do you make your own tomato sauce for pasta or do you buy it pre-made from the store (Prego, Ragu, etc.)?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
i don't always but i have.

my mom ALWAYS makes her own sauce.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
For those who don't know how: youtube.com/watch?v=DYVtZraZfBo
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, it's pretty easy but it takes some time to cook.  My ingredients are:
-Crushed tomatoes or tomato puree in the can (Tuttoroso rock, Redpack and Hunts work okay)
-Minced garlic
-Onion
-Basil
-Salt
-Black Pepper
-Thyme
-Oregano
-Sugar

I lightly brown the garlic and onion in some olive oil in the bottom of the pot.  Then I add the canned tomatoes.  If they're crushed, I run them through the blender real quick.  Everything else is "add to taste."  Not once in my life have I seen my mother, aunt, or grandmother use any kind of measuring device while preparing sauce.  I like to let it cook down for at least 4 hours, stirring every 15 minutes or so.  You cook it on a very low heat or else it will burn.

Add meat as you like.  For awesome meatballs, cook them in the sauce.  Just throw the raw meatballs in the pot and let them cook.  Sausage, brasciole, and pork are pretty common in my family's sauce.

If you're using fresh tomatoes and the sauce is too thin, or if you prefer very thick sauce, add tomato paste.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top