Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 4:53:29 AM EDT
Assistance please.

I'm going north through New Mexico this Saturday---destination Alaska.

It looks like I can save about 85 miles by taking US 54 instead of I 25.  Avoiding that big turn east, near Albuquerque.

Is US 54 a good, speedy, option?  Or should I stick with I 25.

Thanks in advance

Cross posted into NM Hometown forum.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Looks like I'm leaving Friday now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Stick with I-25.

54 gets real rural.  As in, you breakdown, run out of gas, etc you may be SOL for a long while especially considering your phone won't work much of the time.

I-25 has much more options for food, gas, help, etc.
Also posted in your other thread.

What he said.  It gets rural even by NM standards.  It is much prettier a trip though.  Once you get north of Alamogordo, there aren't much more than a few stop and robs at a few crossroads until you get out of the mountains at the north end of the route.  24 is freeway, 54 is 2 lane road. Much slower.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Watch out for those darn skinwalkers.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are traveling 54 by day it's the faster route to go.  If you are going through the area at night, definately stay on I-25.  US54 is one lane each way quite a bit of the way and you don't want to be traveling it at night.  I live in El Paso and am very familiar with both routes.  I go to Colorado often and stick to I-25 if traveling at night.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I25 is less rural, but which is more scenic?  I'm heading down there soon and have plenty of time for an interesting drive (during daylight)
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Negative on I-25 it will be construction the whole way and your NM plates are a big jucy target for CSP

See the USA venture from the intrastate
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I25 is less rural, but which is more scenic?  I'm heading down there soon and have plenty of time for an interesting drive (during daylight)

For scenery US54 is definately better.  Along I-25 all you will find is desert and, as you get closer to El Paso dairy farms that smell like, well, shit.  A lot of deserrt along US 54 also but once you get north of Alamogordo it cools off quite a bit and much more to look at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top