Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 1:04:54 AM EDT
Hello everyone.

I took my Dad to the ER yesterday morning because of breathing difficulties and today he will be getting a biopsy to see if he has lung cancer.

My Dad is a 73 year old retired Boatswains Mate with 28 years of service which includes quite a bit of time spent in Vietnam as a SeaBee with ACB-1.

After retiring from the navy he spent 16 years as a DOD Police officer here at a Naval Weapons Station until he retired to care for my Mom who suffered a stroke. She passed away almost 4 years later.

In his younger days he was a rough and tough, drinking, fist fighting sailor who loves his country, a type of guy you'd see in a old war movie. When I was a kid I looked up to him, I seen him as a real life Popeye.

It hurts me so badly now to see my Dad become a frail old man.

If you have a moment please say a small prayer or have a nice thought for him.

UPDATE

I truly thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, they do work.

although we are waiting the results of the biopsies the Doctor told me last night he did not see any mass in his lungs that was abnormal with the scope. Without coming right out and saying it he's pretty sure there's no cancer.

The problem appears to be some stomach fluid was aspirated somehow due to acid reflux and that caused an infection so he will remain hospitalized a few more days for therapy while we wait for the results of the biopsies.

Dad is still on oxygen but looking a little better and hopefully he will walk out of the hospital in a few days.

once again I would like to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers, they do make a difference.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope everything works out for you and your dad
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:21:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Thoughts and prayers...!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:52:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Prayers for you, and your father inbound.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:55:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Prayers said.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:10:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Prayers sent

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump for a few more prayers...
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Prayers sent  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Prayers sent.  Hope everything works out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Prayers inbound
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Prayers Sent.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I always hate reading threads like this, mainly because I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it when my father becomes ill.

Prayers sent out to you and your family.  Hope everything works out and your dad pulls through.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Prayers sent.

Sounds like an incredible man. Thank him for his service for me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Prayers sent.  My own Father is 71, and watching him decline is one of the most difficult things I have ever faced.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Praying he gets better. Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#16]
God bless you and your father. Keep the good memorys that you have and protect him in his old age. He watched over you as a frail infant, you watch over him as a frail seinior.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top